VOGONS

My CPU Collection

Topic actions

First post, by Asdfguy86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry if this is the wrong place to put this, or if there's another CPU collection thread I'm not seeing, but I guess this is something to share.
AMD 5x86 P75 Am486 DX5-133W16BGC (taken from a smashed Windows 95 PC at an abandoned country club)
0R25hiU.jpg
Intel Celeron running at 466 MHz (taken from a smashed PC from an E-Waste center)
ikEf76W.jpg
2.2 GHz Intel Pentium 4 Northwood (taken from a Dell Dimension 2400 - it had a CPU upgrade)
ekVmz48.jpg
2.53 GHz Intel Pentium 4 Northwood (taken from a broken Pentium 4 custom build with a PCChips board)
qzGMQLA.jpg
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 at 2.33GHz (taken from a Dell Optiplex 755 - it had a CPU upgrade)
NHaUPcv.jpg
Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 at 2.1GHz (taken from an HP Compaq 6710b - it had a CPU upgrade)
YDuBMwU.jpg
AMD Athlon X2 4850e running at 2.5 GHz (taken from a smashed Compaq PC from an E-Waste center)
grWQ4xq.jpg
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ at 3 GHz
81LFSgQ.jpg

Reply 1 of 42, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think there are any CPU collection threads here?

That AMD 5x86 seems to have a relatively late product date 😀

I think some of us here may have a substantial amount of CPUs, but I know that some serious collectors have even in the thousands (not me though 🤣).
I do like looking at pics, so I don't mind 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 42, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That AMD 5x86 seems to have a relatively late product date

Those laser engraved 5x86s are dated around 1997-1998. Strictly OEM and usually used for embedded solutions. Some were even marked as DX2 and DX.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 42, by Asdfguy86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

Those laser engraved 5x86s are dated around 1997-1998. Strictly OEM and usually used for embedded solutions. Some were even marked as DX2 and DX.

Hmm...interesting. The computer I took it out of was made around 1997 I believe, and it was a regular desktop, not an embedded system. I guess that means it was an OEM part for whatever brand the thing was.

Jed118 wrote:

Put them in a nice little box:

3rd CPU collection box build

😁

I might do that!

Reply 6 of 42, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is what I ended up doing with my CPUs. http://www.cpu-world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=253121#253121

Nice that you have a B1 revision Am5x86. I'm not sure what they changed in the B1, but it seems to be the latest revision of the Am5x86 or AMD DX2 and DX4.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 7 of 42, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The Serpent Rider wrote:

I have one as well. It came out of a Telxon touchscreen scanner system of some sort. I recall it used 72 pin RAM as well. I think I have two or three of them actually.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 8 of 42, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I suppose if you can somehow show that the B1 had some benefit over the previous CPU revisions, you could increase the value of your collection.

Reply 9 of 42, by Asdfguy86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jed118 wrote:
The Serpent Rider wrote:

I have one as well. It came out of a Telxon touchscreen scanner system of some sort. I recall it used 72 pin RAM as well. I think I have two or three of them actually.

Interesting. Mine came out of a regular AT case computer from some abandoned country club, and it also used 72 pin SIMM RAM. I would have taken the whole PC but sadly it was pretty smashed up and unsavable. The only other stuff in it were an ATi Rage IIC PCI card, and some ISA cards with serial ports on them.

Reply 10 of 42, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is the best picture I have of mine - This one is mounted into the display case, but I do think it works. I have another one not in a display case - I'm thinking of building a system around it because I had one briefly as a young teenager and I rather enjoyed it. It kicked the living shit out of my crappy VLB P60 computer and gave my P75 a run for its money:

c94GOVIh.jpg

Reply 11 of 42, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

His AMD 5x86 has an actual date code of week 18 of the year 2000, which is pretty late 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 42, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure what the latest datecode is for an Am486 or Am5x86, but I do have a week 37, 2002. It runs at 133 MHz and at 166 MHz (with artifacts).

Attachments

• Am486_37_2002.jpg
    Filename
    Am486_37_2002.jpg
    File size
    187.54 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by feipoa on 2018-03-30, 07:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 42, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's my 5X86 up close (the one not hot glued to the display case 😉:

MFhocd1l.jpg

That oily film is some kind of decades-old heat dissipation preparation - I don't usually trouble it, but it seems like it's still good.

uadRUavl.jpg

Here's some other unused chips I have lying around:

g9ozdNKl.jpg

Reply 14 of 42, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
feipoa wrote:

This is what I ended up doing with my CPUs. http://www.cpu-world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=253121#253121

Nice that you have a B1 revision Am5x86. I'm not sure what they changed in the B1, but it seems to be the latest revision of the Am5x86 or AMD DX2 and DX4.

I think I'll have to do something similar. Most of my collection is held in a display cabinet but they're in ever growing stacks and many of them can't even be stacked, most notably the LGA ones with SMDs on the bottom. They're just literally unstable 😵
These flat boxes take up relatively little space and can be properly labelled and stacked.

Btw I miss an engraved AMD 5x86 too. I know, I miss a lot of things 🤣

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 15 of 42, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm not sure what the latest datecode is for an Am486 or Am5x86

So it's actially 4x multiplier capable? Here's mine:

CPU stuff.jpg
Filename
CPU stuff.jpg
File size
1.16 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 16 of 42, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Am486DX2 is 2x/3x capable. There are reports that some (or all?) of the laser engraved Am486DX4's are 3x/4x. The older Am486DX4's are 2x/3x.

Reply 17 of 42, by Asdfguy86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jed118 wrote:

Here's my 5X86 up close (the one not hot glued to the display case 😉

Nice collection! That heatsink you got there looked really similar to the heatsink I found on my 5x86 - except it had a Cooler Master fan on it. I'm assuming most of those DIP chips are BIOS ROMs, right? I have a few DIP chips as well, but they are just mainly EPROMs as well with some chips I can't seem to pinpoint exactly what they are. And it seems like your 5x86 is week 32 of 1999 if I am reading that right

Tetrium wrote:
The Serpent Rider wrote:

His AMD 5x86 has an actual date code of week 18 of the year 2000, which is pretty late 🤣

That actually makes sense, because the lowly ATi Rage IIC I got from the same smashed up PC had a copyright date of 2000 on it.

Jed118 wrote:

This is the best picture I have of mine - This one is mounted into the display case, but I do think it works. I have another one not in a display case - I'm thinking of building a system around it because I had one briefly as a young teenager and I rather enjoyed it. It kicked the living shit out of my crappy VLB P60 computer and gave my P75 a run for its money

Wow! That's a really nice display case you have!

The Serpent Rider wrote:

I'm not sure what the latest datecode is for an Am486 or Am5x86

So it's actially 4x multiplier capable? Here's mine:

CPU stuff.jpg

That IIT chip in the top right corner - what is that? Nice collection by the way.

Reply 18 of 42, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That IIT chip in the top right corner - what is that?

Typical FPU for 386DX CPU.

Reply 19 of 42, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

I'm not sure what the latest datecode is for an Am486 or Am5x86, but I do have a week 37, 2002. It runs at 133 MHz and at 166 MHz (with artifacts).

I received this CPU some days ago, still untested. An Am486 DX4-100V16BG rev B1. The late datecode surprised me: Week 33 2003.

Attachments

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul