VOGONS

Motherboard can't hold CMOS settings

Topic actions

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Greetings, I've had this DFI P5BV3+ Rev. B3 for a while now and it has introduced all sorts of headaches for me since I first got it. To make an (overly) long story short, I've finally managed to get it to POST properly, however it won't for the life of it hold any CMOS settings.
I'm convinced that it's not a battery thing, since this happens even if I don't power down the system and pull the plug. In fact, the board will complain about CMOS reset at first boot and will not nag me any further after multiple resets until I actually go in the BIOS and save any settings I've made. At this point, it produces the same error message as earlier and the cycles goes on.

Initially, I thought it was a bad flash and seeing as it had an older BIOS to begin with, I went ahead and flashed the latest BIOS in the ROM. No dice!
Then, I thought the EEPROM itself might be dying so I went ahead and flashed the latest BIOS on a couple of compatible EEPROMs I had laying around and tried again. Again, no dice!

So what could be causing this? I have a couple of theories:

- The board requires a battery to save CMOS settings, regardless of whether or not it's plugged in or not, and something's gone bust in the battery "holder" and it's not making proper contact with the battery.

- Some of the capacitors have gone bust and are causing this issue. Trouble is, all of them look to be in good shape visually, so I'll be going blind into this, plus I don't have a soldering station and removing them with a plain 25-35W soldering iron is a bitch.

Anyone care to chip in? At this point, I'm out of ideas and it's always nice to have a fresh set of minds look into this and suggest possible solutions. So, what am I missing ? 😀

Reply 1 of 28, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, good evening!
Does the board have got a "clear CMOS" jumper, perhaps ?
If it is missing, or in the wrong position, your CMOS will last only as long as the caps can hold it.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 28, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'd say the CMOS jumper as well, but it may be also either there's a diode gone bad for the CMOS (I had COUNTLESS of ASUS boards suffer from this.) or it may be as simple as a bad battery holder in which case harvesting another from a dead motherboard should get it back up and running.

Also, recap that thing ASAP. I had one and Hermei's green little buggers were the cause of its death.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 3 of 28, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote:

Hi, good evening!
Does the board have got a "clear CMOS" jumper, perhaps ?
If it is missing, or in the wrong position, your CMOS will last only as long as the caps can hold it.

Hi! Yes, it does have a clear CMOS jumper and it is set correctly.

PcBytes wrote:

I'd say the CMOS jumper as well, but it may be also either there's a diode gone bad for the CMOS (I had COUNTLESS of ASUS boards suffer from this.) or it may be as simple as a bad battery holder in which case harvesting another from a dead motherboard should get it back up and running.

Also, recap that thing ASAP. I had one and Hermei's green little buggers were the cause of its death.

Regarding the caps, unless I'm missing something my board does not use Hermei caps, it uses a mix of Sanyo and Tayeh, which are somewhat okay I guess, but after 20 long years of service definitely warrant a replacement. Unfortunately, like I said, I lack the equipment to do so.

Could you elaborate a bit more on the diode thing? How did you figure that one out on the ASUS boards? I'll check the battery holder, although it seems to be fine. My bigger concern is why the system isn't holding its settings while plugged in, the battery should only be making a difference whilst it's unplugged.

Reply 4 of 28, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:
Jo22 wrote:

Regarding the caps, unless I'm missing something my board does not use Hermei caps, it uses a mix of Sanyo and Tayeh, which are somewhat okay I guess, but after 20 long years of service definitely warrant a replacement. Unfortunately, like I said, I lack the equipment to do so.

Could you elaborate a bit more on the diode thing? How did you figure that one out on the ASUS boards? I'll check the battery holder, although it seems to be fine. My bigger concern is why the system isn't holding its settings while plugged in, the battery should only be making a difference whilst it's unplugged.

Tayeh should be replaced, Sanyo is good.

The CMOS circuit usually has a 1N4001 (or SMD equivalent) that keeps the battery's settings alive EVEN after killing power from the PC. Although from what it sounds, maybe the RTC circuit has gone bad, since usually even if the diode is dead, the system will act like there's no CMOS battery and keep settings until 5vSB is killed by unplugging the PSU. Not sure what can you do if it's the RTC that's dud.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 5 of 28, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had this issue with a Socket 7 board. I presumed it was a battery issue and replaced the coin battery, but did not resolve it. I then went through troubleshooting every possible cause including even the BIOS chip. It turned out to be the battery; it had leaked ever so slightly and corroded the contacts on the battery holder. A little bit of filing and rubbing alcohol later it worked flawlessly.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6 of 28, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks, I'll have the above in mind. Perhaps I can get somewhere now, I'll look into it and report back with results.

Update: I felt like playing with this a little bit and here's what I found out:

- Diode is fine

- Battery holder on the other hand produces odd results. I'm not getting any voltage between the two poles, measured from rear of the board. Individual points however seem to be fine!? Anyway, I went ahead and soldered two wires on the back of the board directly to the battery holder poles and then attached a battery there. Afterwards, I checked for voltage on the front side of the board and battery holder and voila, we have some progress.
Unfortunately, this made 0 difference in the end, as I still can't save settings.

-Next up, I figured that the 5V EEPROM should be receiving about 5V during normal operation and around 3V when the power is off. Measuring between the VCC and Ground pins, I get ~5V (4.65V) during normal operation a.k.a. when the system is powered on, but I'm getting only 0.08V when it's powered off, so no power at all. This is even with the PSU connected.

Any thoughts, other than the obvious recap that must be done here 😜?

Reply 7 of 28, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your real-time clock and CMOS RAM is incorporated in the VT82C586 (southbridge?) chip, you can find the datasheet here. It should receive battery power on pin 102 (VBAT), but if i understood correctly and your board isn't keeping settings even between "warm" restarts (without being powered off), then it means the problem lies elsewhere.

Proceed with extreme caution if you are going to measure voltages on that chip, pins are extremely close, you should use a needle probe which can slip very easily between two pins and that could render your board useless (been there, done that 😁 ).

Reply 8 of 28, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Many thanks for the datasheet and info!

Reply 9 of 28, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay. I looked at some photos of a DFI P5BV3+ -- and I'm surprised no one has asked...
The board takes either/or AT or ATX PSUs.
- Which one are you using?
What you describe (the voltages) would be normal for an AT PSU and no (or a dead) CMOS battery.

An AT PSU has no standby rail so when it's off it's totally powered down. There is no charging going on when it's off.

Most ATX boards (most then and maybe all today) don't charge the battery either.
Rechargable batteries on mobos slowly faded away about the S7/SS7 era. (Except Laptops maybe.)
They don't even use rechargable batteries anymore. CR2032 are not rechargable.
You need LIR2032 if you want the rechargable version.
C=Lithium, LI=Lithium-Ion, R=Round, 20=20mm diameter, 32=I dunno

Rather than charge the battery the strategy became to unload the battery with circuitry that shifts to taking CMOS power from the standby rail when it is powered up. Probably by a simple resistor and diode auctioneer. Since the batteries rarely ever power anything they last a long time.

Yes. look at your caps.
PcBytes is correct. Tayeh was a crap brand with no website and no published datasheets.
No one has been able to figure out who the company was or even the country they were from.
I have seen a few Tayeh with Teapo vents so maybe they were rebranded Teapo or even rebranded "whoever is cheap this week".

Capacitors will become a big deal for anyone into retro from here forward.
The right end of the bathtub curve (of reliability) for Aluminum Electrolytics starts rising sharply at about 15 years old.
I got that info from multiple industry sources including Nichicon and or Chemicon. (Don't remember which. Maybe both.)
It's not like they hit 15 years and all pop. That's just when the failure rates start going up rapidly.
With SS7 boards (around 20 years old) even quality Japanese caps are past the reliable part of their lives.
So... IMHO...
If you are going to be into retro PC's then you need to learn all about caps. (And replacing them.)
Antique radio buffs have to learn all about tubes. Caps will become the retro PC equivalent.

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 10 of 28, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First off, a small update, I took a look into the datasheet and indeed found the VBAT pin to be pin 102. I measured the voltage on that pin and... there's nothing there. Zero. Double checked that the battery was still on and I was able to measure 3.10V on the battery holder so it was working.

Now, to answer some of PCBytes' questions:

I'm using an ATX PSU and have also set the jumper appropriately. Out of curiosity, I have tried this motherboard with an AT PSU as well, no dice, not that I expected there to be any difference.
You then proceed to talk in length about rechargeable batteries, I'm not sure why, perhaps I didn't phrase something properly? Anyway, I'm using CR2032 batteries for all my motherboards.

I agree about the caps, I never said otherwise. I just don't have the equipment necessary to do proper recapping and I don't have any money to spend on that at the moment. If I had a desoldering gun and proper soldering station, this would be a piece of cake.

Reply 11 of 28, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm Bonez, Bytes is the other PC. 🤣

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 12 of 28, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Okay so,,, with it powered down you have voltage at the holder but nothing at the pin.
Have a DMM? [Edit] Actually an analog meter would do.
You need to manually trace the circuit between the + side of the holder and the pin.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2018-04-10, 15:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 28, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DMM == Digital Multimeter? If so yes, this is how I've been getting the readings. I'll give it a god I guess, I'll see if I can start from the VBAT pin and see where it ends up.

Reply 14 of 28, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You'll probably need a combination of both of these techniques going back and forth.
1] Start at the battery checking voltage to ground until it's not there anymore.
2] To figure out where traces go use resistance (continuity) checks from point to point at component pads or vias.
-
You may see some traces that go to a little dot and disappear. Those dots are vias.
Vias are more or less traces that go through the board to the other side.
Sometimes they go to traces between the board layers. Those are a pita to trace out. Hope you don't find any.
-
It helps if you draw a little picture of the circuit as you trace it out.
Oh, and don't forget to verify the ground side of the battery holder has continuity to the mobo ground plane.
The PSU connector ground pins or the solder rings around mounting holes are usually good points to check continuity to the ground plane.

Reply 15 of 28, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, out of curiosity i've checked this on two S7 boards from my stash that use the same chipset, Azza PT-5VMD and LuckyTech P5MVP3. On both of them i have measured around 2.85v at pin 102 (board not powered up, not connected to anything, only the battery fitted), and in both cases there is a SMD diode in series, which drops only around 250mV - so maybe a Schottky diode, or maybe a standard one and the voltage drop is so small due to the very small current flow. Find this diode on your board, it should have the full battery voltage on the anode, and a little less on the cathode.

Edit: looking at a picture of your board, i believe it's the diode that sits right between JP2 (clear cmos?) and the cpu socket. Check that diode, the resistor next to it, and i would also check for voltage on pin 102 with the cmos jumper in the other position (with board powered off!).

Reply 16 of 28, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow, that's immensely helpful! Thank you for taking the time to do this, I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Reply 17 of 28, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello again, I tried to find the diode you mentioned, but I can't seem to. The only obvious one that I see is next to the battery and CMOS jumper, which seems to be working fine.

You mentioned that you saw a photo of the board online and spotted the diode in question between JP2 and the CPU socket, but since the board had a few revisions, perhaps you saw a later one. JP2 sits right between two PCI slots in my revision and configures whether or not you're using an ATX or AT power supply. It's quite a ways from the CPU socket and I can't see anything blatantly obvious here.
I'm uploading a close-up of my own board perhaps you could spot it for me?
This revision is also pretty close to mine ( I have Rev. B3)

Many thanks in advance and for all the help so far!

Reply 18 of 28, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm sorry, for reasons i cannot even imagine it seems that yesterday i was looking at a completely different motherboard (Shuttle HOT591P).

Now, being certain that i'm looking at your board, i guess that D1 is the diode in question. With everything disconnected, only the battery inserted, and keeping the negative lead of the multimeter on a ground pad, can you check if you have the battery's full voltage on the anode of D1, and somewhat less, around 2.8v on it's cathode? If not, try this with the clr_cmos jumper in the other position.

Reply 19 of 28, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's quite alright.

Unfortunately, I'm getting the full voltage (3.1V) on both the anode and on the cathode, with the jumper making zero difference on either position (and completely removed). What am I to make of this?