VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can buy this 486 OD processor but I can't figure out its speed rating, the label plate on the heat spreader has been torn off at some point, and the markings on the underside are gibberish to me. Can anyone help? The CPU in question is the one on top..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 7, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Intel Overdrive DX4ODP 75 or 100, doesn't really matter much which as the should both do 100MHz fine. You need a board with a socket that accept the extra pin in one of the inner corners. The pin are used to disable the onboard CPU if any. The CPU got it's own power regulator and should work fine in a 5V only board.

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 7, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think I have the right board for the job, has an overdrive socket with the extra pin:

Octek_Hippo_VL_DCA.jpg

How can you tell it's not a DX2? Is it the taller heatsink fins? I guess you could tell it's an ODP and not an ODPR because it has the extra pin?

I'm just curious, I come across many CPU's with glued on heatspreaders, knowing how to ID them would be great.

Reply 4 of 7, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kamerat wrote:

Compared it with other pictures, and I'm pretty sure I spot the voltage regulator under the heatsink which is only on the DX4.

Many thanks. I would spring for it but the OCD in me is too bothered by the lack of the model label on the heatsink.. Besides, I don't think I would see any improvements over a DX2-66 OD if it turned out to be a DX4-75 OD, right?

Reply 5 of 7, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote:
Kamerat wrote:

Compared it with other pictures, and I'm pretty sure I spot the voltage regulator under the heatsink which is only on the DX4.

Many thanks. I would spring for it but the OCD in me is too bothered by the lack of the model label on the heatsink.. Besides, I don't think I would see any improvements over a DX2-66 OD if it turned out to be a DX4-75 OD, right?

There is no way to tell that I know of without the label.

A while back I got a system with a DX4-75 OD in it. It was set to run at 100Mhz by whoever upgraded it from the stock 486-25Mhz CPU.

And the board I put in the system runs it fine at 100Mhz as well.

If it is cheap to get.. like $5-$10, I would just go ahead and get it. It should run just fine at 100Mhz.

I would still point a fan in the direction of it through as the heastsink tends to get pretty warm.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 6 of 7, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The million dollar question though is, how can I tell if it's 75 or 100 even if I did buy it? Presumably the only difference is FSB and the FSB runs at what the motherboard jumpers are set at? Is there a nifty utility that can actually show me the processor's device id etc. for DOS?

Reply 7 of 7, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote:
I think I have the right board for the job, has an overdrive socket with the extra pin: […]
Show full quote

I think I have the right board for the job, has an overdrive socket with the extra pin:

Octek_Hippo_VL_DCA.jpg

How can you tell it's not a DX2? Is it the taller heatsink fins? I guess you could tell it's an ODP and not an ODPR because it has the extra pin?

I'm just curious, I come across many CPU's with glued on heatspreaders, knowing how to ID them would be great.

Your assumption that the CPU has ODP is correct. The ODP has the extra pin (hence, 169-pin ZIF) and OPDR has 168 pins.

It could be a 100MHz CPU, but it's hard to tell without the label in place.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser