VOGONS

How To Remove Glue From CPU

Topic actions

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all, I have an i486 DX2 CPU that must of had a heatsink and fan glued on at some point of its life, not thermal paste but glue, I know that nail polish remover works well for super glue but what should I use to remove it from this CPU? I have tried Isopropyl alcohol, circuit board cleaner, electronic cleaning solvent, zippo lighter fluid but its no good. I have tried a sharp razor blade and this got some of it but there is still some more.

Reply 1 of 24, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Who the heck glues the heatsink to the CPU? I'd say place it in the freezer in a zip-lock bag for a few minutes (I removed the heatsink from a broken VooDoo3 2000 PCI card successfully), remove it, and twist the heatsink around carefully until it breaks free. If not, use the blade again and see what happens.

Another method: use a heat gun for 10 seconds on medium heat.

Source: https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Processor-Fu … d-to-a-Heatsink

Good luck, man.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 2 of 24, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Really depends on what glue was used.. Freezing can be used to make cyanoacrylate more brittle but could have no effect on epoxy, which would actually require heat to make it more viscous.. However if it can withstand the heat of a GPU without losing bond, you may be totally screwed.. That means you need some extreme heat to break that bond but a heat gun is something I would personally not resort to. You could try running a long torture test on the cpu then trying to twist the CPU off afterwards..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 24, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you actually read the OP's post I'm pretty sure the heatsink is long gone and he's just trying to get rid of residual glue.

I would mount the CPU in a mobo and find a way to keep it from moving.
A dead board you don't care about would be ideal but do what you have too.

Then use the pictured kind of straight razor-scraper so you can really get at it and don't have to deal with odd angles, alignment or problems holding the blade firmly.
It's not easy or fast but if you keep working at it you'll get there.

Blade.jpg
Filename
Blade.jpg
File size
10.62 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

GRUMPY OLD FART - On Hiatus, sort'a
Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 4 of 24, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah yep I should have mentioned that the CPU heat sink and fan have already been removed and im trying to remove the residual glue left over, the picture of the razor blade scraper is close to what I have already tried inside a socket to make it stay still and firm, but is there a chemical solution to use that will break down the glue?

Reply 5 of 24, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GabrielKnight123 wrote:

Ah yep I should have mentioned that the CPU heat sink and fan have already been removed and im trying to remove the residual glue left over, the picture of the razor blade scraper is close to what I have already tried inside a socket to make it stay still and firm, but is there a chemical solution to use that will break down the glue?

The kind of glue varies.
I've run into some 486's where the glue just wouldn't come off short of mechanical means.
.. And I had access to all sorts of cool, mean & nasty chemicals through my job at the time.
You might not have the same glue I did though....

Try a strong acid and a strong base. If neither works you are probably stuck.

You could sand and then lap it but that could end up taking longer than scraping.

Mann-Made Global Warming. - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.

Reply 6 of 24, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote:

You could sand and then lap it but that could end up taking longer than scraping.

Electric orbital sander with some 400 grit sandpaper. You should have the glue off in a couple minutes.

I used to lap CPUs and heatsinks manually and then got tired of it taking forever and so I started using my oribital sander. Works great and is way, way, way quicker than doing it manually.

Just turn the sander upside down, turn it on, and then move the cpu around on it and it should make super quick work of that glue. Of course you will probably remove the markings on the CPU, but if you want to get it off quick, that is the way to go.

You could also try some aircraft paint stripper.. or maybe some non-diluted citrus (lemon) essential oil, but not sure if that will work either. Just depends on the type of glue.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 24, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hardware store tile departments usually have muriatic acid.
Get gloves and goggles while you're there.
Places that sell car batteries usually have sulfuric acid.
Ospho (a marine rust stripper) has phosphoric acid.
I would use the sander.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2018-04-26, 06:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 24, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote:

If you actually read the OP's post I'm pretty sure the heatsink is long gone and he's just trying to get rid of residual glue.

I did read the OP and it was not obvious to me that the heatsink was already seperated.

Reply 10 of 24, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"must of had a heatsink and fan glued on at some point of its life"
Is pretty clear to me.

Reply 11 of 24, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PCBONEZ wrote:

Is pretty clear to me.

How is that clear to you? That just says someone must have had glued a fan onto the CPU at some point, not that it was removed later. You are assuming.

Reply 12 of 24, by jamesbeat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pure acetone will remove almost all glues, with epoxy being an exception.

It's worth trying acetone first, but I expect that in this case it is probably thermal epoxy.

Epoxy can be removed with heat.
I am an hobby machinist, and I use epoxy all the time for temporary fixtures and workholding.

It holds parts together really well, and when I have finished what I am doing, I simply boil the part in water for a minute or two and the epoxy turns rubbery and lets go.

This will work for pretty much any epoxy that is not designed for high heat applications.

I don't know if thermal epoxy is exceptionally heat resistant, but I doubt it is much different from regular epoxy.

I also don't know if it is safe to boil a CPU in water for a couple of minutes.

From examining the design of the CPUs in my collection, I expect that a 486 in a ceramic package would be absolutely fine, but maybe more experienced members could chime in?

Reply 13 of 24, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:
PCBONEZ wrote:

Is pretty clear to me.

How is that clear to you? That just says someone must have had glued a fan onto the CPU at some point, not that it was removed later. You are assuming.

I guess my English comprehension skills are better than yours then.

I'm not having an argument over an issue that is so minuscule and petty an ant wouldn't trip over it.

If something said in a forum by someone you don't know and will never meet upsets you THAT much then you really REALLY need to get a life.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2018-04-26, 14:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 24, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just let you know that I actually read it and when you pressed the point gave you my interpretation of the wording. In return you are insulting my language skills and telling me off with a ‘get a life’. You are the one having a meltdown and I am the one being upset in a forum? Take five and rethink.

Reply 15 of 24, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote:

I just let you know that I actually read it and when you pressed the point gave you my interpretation of the wording. In return you are insulting my language skills and telling me off with a ‘get a life’. You are the one having a meltdown and I am the one being upset in a forum? Take five and rethink.

ALL THAT WAS was a suggestion for you reread the OP.
Now you are crying like a little baby and wasting everyone's time.

Reply 16 of 24, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

just remove the glue with the suggestions provided, skip the nonsense.

also save the glue if you can for ralph wiggum

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 17 of 24, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bjwil1991 wrote:

Who the heck glues the heatsink to the CPU?

Good question! 🤣

I would say Cyrix:

L_Cyrix-Cx486DX2-66%20%28heatsink%20writeback%29.jpg

IBM:

L_IBM-BL%20486DX2-50GB.jpg

Intel:

L_Intel-A80486DX2-66%20%28with%20heatsink%29.jpg

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 18 of 24, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jamesbeat wrote:

I also don't know if it is safe to boil a CPU in water for a couple of minutes.

From examining the design of the CPUs in my collection, I expect that a 486 in a ceramic package would be absolutely fine, but maybe more experienced members could chime in?

I am not endorsing this. Just throwing some info out so the OP can make an informed decision.

[Revised here] Re: How To Remove Glue From CPU

A short dunk probably isn't going to hurt it - no promises.

If any one tries it make sure you let it dry for a very long time.
I might be wrong but those older ceramic packages look porous to me and you don't want water/moisture oozing out with it in your system.

Last edited by PCBONEZ on 2018-04-27, 11:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 24, by PCBONEZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jamesbeat wrote:
Pure acetone will remove almost all glues, with epoxy being an exception. […]
Show full quote

Pure acetone will remove almost all glues, with epoxy being an exception.

It's worth trying acetone first, but I expect that in this case it is probably thermal epoxy.

Epoxy can be removed with heat.
I am an hobby machinist, and I use epoxy all the time for temporary fixtures and workholding.

It holds parts together really well, and when I have finished what I am doing, I simply boil the part in water for a minute or two and the epoxy turns rubbery and lets go.

This will work for pretty much any epoxy that is not designed for high heat applications.

I don't know if thermal epoxy is exceptionally heat resistant, but I doubt it is much different from regular epoxy.

The stuff that gave me trouble looked and behaved like the glaze on ceramic tile.
It was extremely hard and resilient.