VOGONS

Reply 8640 of 27626, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
weldum wrote:

i'm reorganizing my collection due to several motherboards stopping working
also i'm fighting against my mind, 'cause i wanna get an Atari ST but i'm facing financial troubles

You know what they say, the best Atari is a Commodore..

In other news I've been putting in rather mild bids in interesting auctions to see where they end up and boy, have I been out of touch with eBay retro computing prices.. ATI Fury MAXX currently at 56.55 EUR and it still has 3 days to auction close, wait what? SMH..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 8641 of 27626, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote:
weldum wrote:

i'm reorganizing my collection due to several motherboards stopping working
also i'm fighting against my mind, 'cause i wanna get an Atari ST but i'm facing financial troubles

You know what they say, the best Atari is a Commodore..

yeah the amiga is wonderfull, but i find more interesting the st 'cause is more simple in the hardware side
that kind of interest is making me think in get a zx spectrum too

i already have a c64 (the Drean Pal-N variant) but i like all the other computers too

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 8642 of 27626, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cj_reha wrote:
oeuvre wrote:
cj_reha wrote:

Recent pickups include small things like a Compaq Presario 5000, with Duron 700 and 256 mb RAM.

hey i ordered the same thing! pics!

$10 at the thrift store. Missing the top optical drive which is gonna be annoying to replace, because drive rails.

Has 2 hard drives, 3 ish gig WD Caviar and I think a 120 GB caviar as well. Boots into either Windows ME or Windows XP setup, oddly.

Sweet! Do you need any drivers for it? I found the 98SE ones and a BIOS update.

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 8643 of 27626, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One of my old computer housings started to rust on the inside. I used sand paper to remove the rust and then painted the spot with primary gray paint.

Attachments

• IMG_6962.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_6962.JPG
    File size
    61.19 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8644 of 27626, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I accidently put a 'dent' right in the middle of my monitor screen :'( a side panel fell onto it, corner first. Gg almoststew!

Reply 8645 of 27626, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just did some final tweaks on my G3 iMac DV, installed some software & updated a few things on Mac OS 9.2.2.

I also installed Star Wars Episode I Racer and had a few races on that. It's certainly playable, albeit slightly jerky on the graphics chip in these old iMacs.

Web browsing with Classilla on a PowerPC G3 is certainly doable and I've been using it all day for downloading all the software updates etc. that I needed. I attempted the same with TenFourFox on Mac OS X and the experience was excruciating!

Reply 8646 of 27626, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Received the Wang Alliance 750CD desktop I had ordered.

The sound card is a Sound Blaster 2.0 (1336A - so no CMS upgrade for this one).

Re-seated the sound and CD-ROM IDE controller cards, hooked up a power supply and powered it up. It works 😀

The external CMOS battery was missing, so I made a plug in 3xAA battery holder one from one of the 3xAA holders I had and an old PC-Speaker wire.

Figured out the HDD configuration (printed on the label parameters were not correct, so I had to look up the model and use the parameters it was supposed to have).
It is a Western Digital 43/40MB IDE drive depending on if you use the printed (native) or translated (what it worked as).

It booted into a DOS menu program. The HDD only has DOS, Wing Commander, Wing Commander II, some BBS stuff, a DOS screensaver, some compression utilities, AV, and some communications programs for the modem on it.

The onboard video seems to have some bad RAM though as it has areas where the video is corrupted/incorrect, even in text only mode and in the BIOS. I will be adding an ISA video card to it to take care of it.

I'll probably also put a different HDD (CF card) in it and sell the original HDD.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8647 of 27626, by TheAbandonwareGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PTherapist wrote:

Just did some final tweaks on my G3 iMac DV, installed some software & updated a few things on Mac OS 9.2.2.

I also installed Star Wars Episode I Racer and had a few races on that. It's certainly playable, albeit slightly jerky on the graphics chip in these old iMacs.

Web browsing with Classilla on a PowerPC G3 is certainly doable and I've been using it all day for downloading all the software updates etc. that I needed. I attempted the same with TenFourFox on Mac OS X and the experience was excruciating!

I don't know who screwed up in the Apple 3D Graphics department during the iMacs time but someone sure did. The chips inside of Macs tend to perform at about 1/3rd the performance of there PC counterparts. A good example is the 9600 Pro inside the last gen eMac struggling to run Alien vs Predator at 800x600, a game from 1999. On PC it runs fine on a Rage 128.

The only thing iMac/eMacs are good for IMO are as quick easy to setup systems for 2D games like Heroes of Might and Magic and Railroad Tycoon. I basically just use my iMac as a display piece items (its the more sought after Bondi Blue 233 model)

Cyb3rst0rms Retro Hardware Warzone: https://discord.gg/jK8uvR4c
I used to own over 160 graphics card, I've since recovered from graphics card addiction

Reply 8648 of 27626, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I don't know who screwed up in the Apple 3D Graphics department during the iMacs time but someone sure did. The chips inside of Macs tend to perform at about 1/3rd the performance of there PC counterparts. A good example is the 9600 Pro inside the last gen eMac struggling to run Alien vs Predator at 800x600, a game from 1999. On PC it runs fine on a Rage 128.

The only thing iMac/eMacs are good for IMO are as quick easy to setup systems for 2D games like Heroes of Might and Magic and Railroad Tycoon. I basically just use my iMac as a display piece items (its the more sought after Bondi Blue 233 model)

I always found a recurring theme with Apple stuff that they always had underpowered Graphics. Not as bad in a desktop where you can replace it, but if it's onboard you were screwed. I have a 1.25GHz G4 Mac Mini that would've been so much better with better graphics.

With regards to game performance on similar hardware, you have to remember too a lot of Mac ports are not so great and that OpenGL can often be much slower than DirectX on Windows. Factor these things together and it isn't good for Mac gaming really.

Reply 8649 of 27626, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PTherapist wrote:
TheAbandonwareGuy wrote:

I always found a recurring theme with Apple stuff that they always had underpowered Graphics. Not as bad in a desktop where you can replace it, but if it's onboard you were screwed. I have a 1.25GHz G4 Mac Mini that would've been so much better with better graphics.

With regards to game performance on similar hardware, you have to remember too a lot of Mac ports are not so great and that OpenGL can often be much slower than DirectX on Windows. Factor these things together and it isn't good for Mac gaming really.

I thought it was just me, but I did notice that some games just perform dreadfully on these older Macs, going by combined 6500, iMac G3 350, and more recently, 9600 w/G3 400 and Rage 128 experience.

Driver just bogs down even on Medium, let alone fully cranked up. Unreal Tournament... well, my MDD G4 in its dual 1.42 GHz G4/Radeon 9250 glory will chew it up and spit it out, but I wouldn't recommend that on G3-era hardware anyway because the iMac is terrible at running it. At least SiN is decently playable at a modest 640x480 on the iMac, I suppose.

What's really jarring is that two of the pack-in games with the Power Mac 6500 were MechWarrior 2 (a special RAVE-accelerated version) and Descent II (also RAVE-accelerated, and whose data files aren't compatible with a certain Classic Mac OS source port that uses OpenGL and Glide instead, alongside adding SoundSprockets support for CPU-intensive reverb), and the 6500's integrated 3D Rage II GPU is just not cut out for MechWarrior 2 at all. Not even close. Then I think about how the Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh uses the same Gazelle motherboard as the 6500, and all I can think about is how ripped-off the original buyers were when they could've bought a 9600 at a fraction of the price.

I could throw the Voodoo2 into my 9600 for Glide compatibility, come to think of it, but I have yet to run into a Mac game that supports Glide, but not RAVE or OpenGL. A Voodoo3 or even Voodoo5 PCI Mac Edition would be even more preferable, but I don't want to think about the price tag on those things right now. (That and my Voodoo5 5500s are AGP cards, not PCI ones.)

Incidentally, one of my favorite aspects of the Power Mac 9600 is that it does not include integrated graphics in any capacity, unlike most PCI Power Macs. You get six PCI slots to cram with whatever you want, no worries about DA-15 Mac to DE-15 VGA monitor adapters on whatever graphics card you're likely to use these days since most of them use VGA ports anyway (sometimes DVI!), and you still have five left over for other things. Oh, and you don't need an AAUI transceiver for 10BASE-T Ethernet, too; that's already right on the motherboard!

With all that said, though, it really does seem like the peak of Mac ports was just before the 3D acceleration boom, as software-rendered games like Wolfenstein 3D and X-Wing/TIE Fighter had nicely redrawn graphics on Mac. System Shock had a respectable one too. But going forward, you get that lousy 3D performance and no apparent 3D sound acceleration whatsoever (SoundSprockets is CPU-based from what I can tell, and intensive enough that only that one Descent II source port I found actually uses it).

Even in the OS X era, it seems like Battlefield 1942 performs much worse on the MDD G4 than it ever did on the old Athlon XP 1800+/Radeon 9600 XT box I first started playing it on back in the day, and you'd think that dual 1.42 GHz G4s with 2 GB of RAM and only a slightly lower-end Radeon 9600 would actually do better. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to try testing with a higher-end AGP card some day, though online reviews and benchmarks suggest 60 FPS in stuff like that and UT 2004 isn't happening without a G5.

Reply 8650 of 27626, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Games designed for the early G3 iMacs running Classic didn't run well under OS X. This was a major cause of controversy, as people who "upgraded" from OS 9 to the early versions of OS X found themselves with crippled computers. There were lawsuits over this. The problem was the refusal of Apple to release OS X drivers for the ATI chipsets used by the early iMacs. (The G4 and later used Nvidia graphics) This meant that these games ran much slower in OS X than OS 9.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 8651 of 27626, by DaveJustDave

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

started my latest build.. always wanted a proper 486, and i wanted to use a full size XT/AT desktop for it.

AMD DX4-100, VLB Trident graphics, VLB SCSI, ethernet, dual floppy and CDROM. trying to decide between GUS Max or AWE32, not sure which is more fitting for this machine.

IMG_20180502_222246 (Medium).jpg
Filename
IMG_20180502_222246 (Medium).jpg
File size
282.35 KiB
Views
File license

I have no clue what I'm doing! If you want to watch me fumble through all my retro projects, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDavejustdave

Reply 8652 of 27626, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DaveJustDave wrote:

started my latest build.. always wanted a proper 486, and i wanted to use a full size XT/AT desktop for it.

AMD DX4-100, VLB Trident graphics, VLB SCSI, ethernet, dual floppy and CDROM. trying to decide between GUS Max or AWE32, not sure which is more fitting for this machine.

Very nice!!! Building a DX4-100 too 😀

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 8653 of 27626, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I just found out that the SD card on my RetroPIE setup had crashed. So I have used a couple of hours today, to reinstall the RetroPIE image. I was lucky enough that I had all the rom files were on a USB harddrive, that I use on my setup. I only had to rewrite the image to an SD card, enable wifi and USB sharing and finally do all the basic menu settings, that I had written down. Now I need to set the emulator settings for image quality and transfer all the artwork and I can game again.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 8654 of 27626, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I got a crapload of stuff in the mail today all at once:

-PLCC extractors for the next item on the list
-8372 Fat Agnus (ECS 1 MB Chip RAM capable)
-GGLabs F2R16 (I meant to order the DiagROM-flashed version to help troubleshoot my A2000, but accidentally ordered the one with Kickstart 3.1 because it was ten bucks cheaper)
-2 MB of SRAM chips to max out my A2091 SCSI controller/Fast RAM card
-Cherry-made Amiga 2000 keyboard with MX Blacks, NKRO, and another Amiga tank mouse (I didn't need these, I just wanted the best of the Amiga keyboards and felt that it would be better for the A500 and A2000 to have their own mice)

So I got to work on my systems and discovered the following:
-Whatever chucklehead put this A2000 on the VCF consignment table must've slipped in an 8372A with one of its pins broken off, because my suspicions about one of the pins in the socket were safely confirmed with a PLCC pull later. I meant the mail-ordered 8372 for my A500 to do the 1 MB Chip RAM upgrade, but in a fit of troubleshooting, I put the broken-pin 8372A in my A500 to see if it would start. No dice - it failed its POST, partly because the broken pin is an addressing pin according to the schematics.

-Alas, having an Agnus with all its pins didn't really sort out this A2000, and I found that I had to press down fairly hard on the 68000 when starting it up just so I could get to the Kickstart screen. I'm definitely ordering one of those CPU slot socket adapters now; it may help me troubleshoot this thing even further by getting around the dodgy socket and its corroded pins, and besides, I'll need one if I want to use an A500 accelerator.

-That said, I didn't give up on the slightly emasculated 8372A. I noticed just enough left of the pin sticking out that I decided to get a little creative and try soldering a staple to it to bridge the gap, then plopped it into my A500. It worked. Did the jumper and trace mods, fired it up again, and sure enough, a quick "avail" in the Shell later tells me I've got the trapdoor RAM running as Chip RAM.

-The 2 MB of Fast RAM does indeed come up on the A2000 whenever I can get it to successfully boot, but it's of little use right now while I haven't fixed whatever trace damage or god knows what is causing the system to not properly access its 1 MB of soldered RAM.

-While I do wish I had the DiagROM as intended to get to the nitty-gritty of that A2000, I suppose that's a nice incentive to go buy the required hardware to flash the F2R16 with whatever I want, put that $10 savings to use. Also, Kickstart 3.1 means I can actually use the version of Workbench that will run most Amiga apps, as well as have the two-button mouse boot give me the display mode switcher, among other things.

All in all, while it's still kinda frustrating that I haven't fixed the A2000 yet, I'm getting a little closer to figuring out what's up with it beyond battery corrosion damage. It's most likely not the Agnus now, and swapping the CIAs didn't change anything (one YouTube user only managed to fix an apparent A500 memory error by replacing a dead CIA). Meanwhile, the A500 is pretty much ready to rock, although I still need to keep the case unscrewed while I figure out a mounting solution for the Gotek.

Reply 8655 of 27626, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NamelessPlayer wrote:

A Voodoo3 or even Voodoo5 PCI Mac Edition would be even more preferable, but I don't want to think about the price tag on those things right now. (That and my Voodoo5 5500s are AGP cards, not PCI ones.)

It may be easier (and cheaper) to try and flash a regular PC version Voodoo card with a Mac ROM. I'm not sure how well the Voodoo5 handles this nor where to find the rom images, but I did this a few years back with a Voodoo3 2000 16MB PCI card and ran it for a while in my Beige Power Macintosh G3 Desktop. Was great in Mac OS 9, much better than the onboard ATI 3D Rage Pro 2MB. I eventually replaced the card with a Rage 128 16MB PCI as I wanted to use the Voodoo3 in 1 of my other PCs instead and so I flashed it back to a PC ROM.

The Voodoo3 2000 was very easy to flash on a PC. Ideally you'd want to install it in a PC where it would be treated as a secondary card (doesn't have to be a functional display or need drivers, just needs to be detected), ie. a PC with a main AGP or PCIe graphics card (preferably not a Voodoo card, to avoid any confusion when flashing). Then just boot to DOS and backup the current Voodoo ROM and then replace it with the Mac ROM.

It's a bit tricky to find the Mac ROM, lots of broken links etc, but it is out there and I've got a copy of all the utilities & ROMs should you wish to try it.

It's apparently possible to flash the ROM from a Mac also, but I've never tried that. The flash utility and ROMs come from the Mac driver package.

Reply 8656 of 27626, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got my Intel Advanced/ML board yesterday and started working on the Pentium 166 build. Absolutely love this board so far:

- I wanted this build to be as different from my main Pentium 3 machine as possible. Somehow the TC430HX seemed fitting for that. So it's a high-end pre-Windows 98, pre-MMX chipset;
- ATX is just so much easier to work with. There is a lot of space in my InWin S500 case compared to a regular BabyAT tower. No back panels, so everything is really tidy;
- this board was not designed for non-Intel CPUs and I think it doesn't even support MMX, Hence, there are a lot less jumpers. The initial build took me maybe 15 minutes tops (including the time I took to remove the previous board from the case);
- tested the built-in turbo functionality. Works great!

wUIu1iZm.jpg

I also gave Wing Commander a quick test and it feels like it works really well. Didn't try disabling cache yet though. Anyway, 386DX33 was my lowest performance target for this build and it looks like I succeeded with that.

I've also installed the hardware I wanted for this build:

- Matrox Millenium videocard;
- 3COM network card;
- Voodoo 1;
- MusicQuest MPU clone card;
- Gravis UltraSound PnP with 8MB;
- AWE32 CT3990 with 28MB.

So far I managed to stay within the 1996 time period. Good news: the system works (I was worried the PSU would not be enough for such a build) and I got both soundcards working under Windows 95 (although AWE32's SB16 is at 240 instead of 220 which I don't like).

Next steps:

- configure the DOS environment with mouse and CD drivers, better prompt, Norton Commander and probably QEMM;
- try reflashing GUS PnP Pro to ROM version 2.0 so that it uses less resources (no IRQ requirement for MPU);
- get all the soundcards to work under DOS (including the MT-32);
- test my system with L1 and L2 caches disabled;
- figure out GUS software. After all the SoundBlasters it just feels like a piece of alien technology.

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 8657 of 27626, by oeuvre

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Recorded my Seagate Barracuda ST32550W SCSI drive

Attachments

• Filename
    ST32550W.mp3
    File size
    1.39 MiB
    Downloads
    72 downloads
    File license

HP Z420 Workstation Intel Xeon E5-1620, 32GB, RADEON HD7850 2GB, SSD + HD, XP/7
ws90Ts2.gif

Reply 8658 of 27626, by SaxxonPike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally finished a dual sound card setup.

AWE32 line out pins internally to the DSXG CDRom input so no need to mess with external cables. AWE32 and DSXG Legacy block are disabled within Windows. But because the AWE32 has its resources allocated already, DOS games will detect and use it in both pure DOS and Windows. Windows games will access only the DSXG, and with the 2020 VXD driver, the full range of amplification can be accessed.

The DSXG still needs to be initialized in DOS for the mixer to work but can have its legacy block disabled in SETUPDS as well, only the /S switch is needed on startup. The normal AWE32 startup is in there also.

The connections are configured as such:
Left audio: J9, right column, third pin down
Right audio: J9, left column, topmost pin

Since the AWE32 is configured for line output instead of speaker, amplification is done using the DSXG which has a significantly better amp.

Now, I need to come up with a better way to connect the two cards. This method is flimsy and probably not well isolated from noise, but I didn't notice any problematic noise at a normal listening level.

IMG_20180504_192837.jpg
Filename
IMG_20180504_192837.jpg
File size
820.3 KiB
Views
File license

Sound device guides:
Sound Blaster
Aztech
OPL3-SA

Reply 8659 of 27626, by OldCat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I started working on my Hercules 286 build ( "Childhood Embers" - 286 AT with Hercules graphics build ) and tested 9-pin monitor with Toshiba T5100 (EGA) and T3100 (CGA) to make sure it isn't broken.

monitor.gif
Filename
monitor.gif
File size
79.91 KiB
Views
File license