VOGONS

First post, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recently purchased a couple of old hard drives on Saturday at a local thrift store:

1) Quantum Fireball ST 3.5 Series
2) Western Digital WD100 (cannot tell since it was installed in a Compaq Presario desktop hence the sticker)

I decided to swap my 60GB Maxtor HDD (when they bought out Quantum) with the two HDDs to see if there was any data or OS on it, and the Western Digital didn't have any as it was wiped by the previous owner (thankfully), but I ended up DBANing the drive to remove its MBR by writing zeroes.

I attempted to access the Quantum Fireball ST 3.5 Series HDD with my external enclosure and Lubuntu 17.10 LTS 64-bit on my laptop, which did get detected and mounted easily, but whenever I would attempt to access the directories, I hear a beeping noise coming from the HDD. I ran the disk checker in GParted for any errors, and nothing. The OS that was on there was Windows 2000 Professional (laptop attempted to boot the OS, but Blue screened since Windows 2000 cannot boot from a USB port).

Also, I attempted to DBAN the hard drive, and it still beeped. Would it be hard drive failure? My other plan is to hook up the HDD to the IDE port on one of my machines, run the Live version of Linux, and check for bad sectors or failing parameters (SMART).

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 1 of 1, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The beeping sound is the voice coil complaining about something. Usually when hard drives make constant tones, it's either the spindle is stuck ('musical Maxtor syndrome'), or the drive isn't finding a sector ID or address mark upon a seek, causing the drive to short-step over the surface of the platter in a vain attempt to find what it's looking for, which can make a sound similar to a pure 'beep' tone under some circumstances.

You could try running a tool like MHDD or Victoria on that drive (Gparted isn't capable of talking low level to the drive like those tools are), but you're probably dealing with a drive that's on its way out. I never had a good experience with Fireball ST drives to be honest, one even burned a chip up on me. (That said, its lower-speed stablemate, the TM, has been a pretty good drive, it sounds almost exactly the same and is usually not a lot slower.)

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁