VOGONS

First post, by Aglenoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can have fully working Macintosh 2ci but can I play something on it ?

------------------------------------------------
Pentium II 266 MHz
Diamond Voodoo Monster II 12 Mb
S3 trio 64v+ 2Mb
ESS AudioDrive 1868f
10Gb fireball HDD
256 Mb Ram

Reply 1 of 9, by BeginnerGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oregon Trail all day. I think that was all I learned in school circa 1991.

Sup. I like computers. Are you a computer?

Reply 2 of 9, by Eep386

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The MacPlay port of Star Trek: 25th Anniversary would be one game to play.

Life isn't long enough to re-enable every hidden option in every BIOS on every board... 🙁

Reply 3 of 9, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Loads of elementary school kids messed around with Kid Pix 2 on those machines.

(I mean, it's not a game, but...)

Reply 5 of 9, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Macintosh IIci? 25 MHz 68030 + 68882 FPU, that should do you well for a lot of earlier 2D games. I know that the Mac got some of the best versions of the first two Prince of Persia games, with redrawn 640x480 graphics.

I don't see it performing better enough than the IIcx I used to have for it to not struggle with Wolfenstein 3D, though, so FPSs may be out of the question entirely. Save those for a Power Mac of some kind.

Also, if you're really lucky, it may have one of those Daystar Turbo 040 upgrades installed, basically turning it into a Quadra 700.

Reply 6 of 9, by Aglenoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
NamelessPlayer wrote:

Macintosh IIci? 25 MHz 68030 + 68882 FPU, that should do you well for a lot of earlier 2D games. I know that the Mac got some of the best versions of the first two Prince of Persia games, with redrawn 640x480 graphics.

I don't see it performing better enough than the IIcx I used to have for it to not struggle with Wolfenstein 3D, though, so FPSs may be out of the question entirely. Save those for a Power Mac of some kind.

Also, if you're really lucky, it may have one of those Daystar Turbo 040 upgrades installed, basically turning it into a Quadra 700.

Well I can get Quadra 700 as well should i get it instead of 2ci ?

Pentium II 266 MHz
Diamond Voodoo Monster II 12 Mb
S3 trio 64v+ 2Mb
ESS AudioDrive 1868f
10Gb fireball HDD
256 Mb Ram

Reply 7 of 9, by JidaiGeki

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aglenoth wrote:
NamelessPlayer wrote:

Well I can get Quadra 700 as well should i get it instead of 2ci ?

Yes, mainly as it's worth a fair bit more than the IICi! If you can find it, the Daystar PowerPC 601 upgrade is worth getting, I think it works on both the IICi and the Quadra. I've seen it listed on eBay a few times.

Edit: Woo, 386 posts!

Last edited by JidaiGeki on 2018-05-20, 12:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 9, by dr.ido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Spectre VR should run smoothly on the IIci and is worth playing if you haven't already played it on PC. As for Mac exclusives - Crystal Quest?

Reply 9 of 9, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maraton1 is slower on PPC-Upgrade Quadra700 then the 68K Version with scanlines.
You cannot choose scanline if you have a PPC machine.

You can Play LOT's of fantastic mac-games with such an old 68k-Mac.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines