VOGONS

First post, by Old_Computer_Dude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All,
I recently acquired a GA-586ATX Motherboard (this) and I'm having issues getting it to detect any HDD. Let me clarify... It sees the drive but will not auto detect it's size and hangs on the detect. For one thing the IDE sockets are not pin keyed (They do have the socket key) so I had to drill the blocked pin hole on the cables to make them fit. It will detect my CD drive using both cables and both IDE ports, but it will not recognize any of my IDE hard drives. It boots up fine and I can even boot into DOS with an install floppy as long as I tell it there's no HDD. I've made sure that all drives are pinned as Master and/or Single and then tried Cable Select on them all. I have tried 6 different drives, they are 20GB and 40GB Seagate and Western Digital drives. The drives are good and all work fine on my primary DOS machine. I'd think the IDE Controller was bad but the CD-Rom Detects and works fine with a boot disk. It has the most recent BIOS image on the ROM. Is there something I'm unaware of regarding the unkeyed sockets and HDD's.

Also, just to give as much info as possible, I'm using a more recent power supply that doesn't include the -5v rail. I think this only affects ISA cards and then only certain ones that I don't have. I doubt it's affecting the IDE detection but the motherboard does give me a health warning about it.

Reply 1 of 5, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hm, I don't have much experience with this, but you might want to look at a patched BIOS image with support for larger HDD's. Usually the limit is at 32GB though, so the 20GB should be fine. Maybe someone more knowledgable can chime in?

The below BIOSes are patched / modded to fix the 32GB or 64GB bug that is present in older Award BIOS Based BIOSes.

The 32GB bug in Award BIOS prevents many users from using HDD larger than 32GB as the BIOS hangs at detection. The 64GB bug manifests itself as a hang at the configuration table.

There is a patched BIOS for your board here (please verify this yourself for safety!):

https://www.wimsbios.com/biosupdates/large-hd … rt/gigabyte/109

1982 to 2001

Reply 3 of 5, by Old_Computer_Dude

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great! That's all it was. I don't know why the 20GB drive had an issue though. Maybe I thought I put it in and I didn't. I only have one that's 20GB the others are all 40GB. Works great now!

I've tried wimsbios before but the one link I needed took me to a site trying to get me to register for some bios scan software so I figured it was a just scam site.

Just checked it again and that link (https://www.wimsbios.com/biosupdates/fi ... )/2A59IF0F) still goes to a registration page for BiosAgentPlus.

Reply 4 of 5, by Cyrix200+

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great!

I found the Wimsbios link via Google.

Parts of the site are trying to convince you to get that stupid BiosAgentPlus...

1982 to 2001