VOGONS

First post, by plumbumber

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings.

My old 486 died a few years a go (faulty mainboard) and i want to get a working Win98 / 80486 pc with a Soundblaster 16. i have read allot of things already about how you should get a 486 for dos gaming etc but its just not an option. They are overpriced or very hard to find in Belgium (Its already hard to find a Pentium 3 as it is)

i wanted to use my soundblaster 16 from my 486 but i noticed that the specs of the deskpro i want to buy say pci to isa bridge, would this be an issue? or is this normal?

Also should i try to underclock/slow down cpu or just disable L1 & L2 cache when playing dos games?

any other pointers?

Reply 1 of 3, by mrau

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the bridge will most probably work, but some are quirky and may render the sb useless;
you dont need to slow down at all unless playing one of those games that will crash or run like flash sinning on faster machines;
p3 is a very good machine for late dos especially but old games will run too (some with tweaks);

Reply 2 of 3, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
plumbumber wrote:

Also should i try to underclock/slow down cpu or just disable L1 & L2 cache when playing dos games?

There is a pretty big list of older games that might require it (check this thread - it also has a link to a more comprehensive list in it), but even if disabling the caches do not work for you (making the PC too slow, or still too fast for some titles), an earlier P3 like this can pretty much run all of them at correct speeds when chipset throttling is also used (an uncommon, but very powerful method of making your CPU run slower). It just requires a bit of tinkering.

Celeron 800@1066, 512MB, GeForce2 MX AGP/GeForce 8400GS PCI, ES1938S/Dreamblaster S2, DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11/Windows ME/Windows 2000

Reply 3 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which Deskpro is it? you may be able to get a different raiser card that includes an isa slot nativity.
You also have the option of getting a soundcard with comparability in windows, SB Live! and later are the common ones.
a P3 will have plenty of power to play dos games without needing to drop back into pure dos.
It's also a good system for Win9x gaming as well!