VOGONS

First post, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm done. I've tried everything and this motherboard still won't cooperate.

I've got a PIII 450Mhz on my ABit BX6 and trying to install Windows 98. But while in my previous thread it started out simply not detecting drives, now it's detecting them but the drives malfunction only on this board. They work fine on my P4 motherboard.

Edit: I should add the first time I tried installing Windows 98 on this board, the first thing I did once I did it was flash the BIOS, as it wasn't recognising the processor correctly and wanted the board to address larger hard drives. Could this have messed up somehow?

The symptom: computer boots, installs files, then at a fixed point in the install process, the hard drive starts making what I can only describe as a spinning-up sound, a tiny click, then a spinning-down sound, all in the space of two seconds or so. The system hangs.

RAM error? Tried four different sticks of RAM. No difference, although going down to 256B rather than 512MB at least lets it complete the installation on Windows 98.

Hard drive fault? I've tried five hard drives - two 40GB, one 80GB, a 160GB and a 200GB. With the exception of the 160GB, every other drive reports full health in Windows 10. I know the 200GB is too much for the motherboard, but the others should be fine.

I tried installing the unofficial Service Pack 3 so I could get USB support and Daemon Tools working. Partway through, it resumes the error sound then hangs.

I even ordered a Promise Ultra 100 card. It runs fine, but again, installing files makes the system shit its pants and the hard drive make that sound.

I'm in constant contact with the guy who gave me the motherboard, and he is adamant that when he gave it to me it was working absolutely fine for him. I mentioned bad caps, he doubts it pretty strongly.

I was so looking forward to getting a PIII system running.

Reply 3 of 15, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Theory:

I have two GPUs in - a Trident 9000, and an Nvidia GeForce. I was planning on having each work for different OSes (Trident in 3.1, Nvidia in 98). Could they be causing the system to mess up that would make the drive hiccup? I haven't gotten advanced enough into the system to install drivers before it goes sad on me, but I thought it was possible to have two GPUs in a computer without trouble.

Reply 4 of 15, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try ruling out software first. See if you can run an old Knoppix LiveCD/DVD (anything up to ~2005 should easily work on a P6). Same problems: hardware. No problems: software / drivers

Reply 6 of 15, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bad caps.

ABIT was known for using crap Jackon caps on their boards. Replace them ASAP. I had the same thing happen to me (although it was an Albatron KM400 board) when trying to install 98 on a PC. It would hang just when the 98SE setup UI would load on a gray screen. I later found out that the board was missing caps (although not enough to make the board not POST and be usable for DOS) but at that point I had got a Gigabyte GA-7VA and didn't care about it anymore.

TL;DR version - recap it. ABIT boards of that era were plagued by bad Jackon caps so hard it was the reason ABIT got a lawsuit.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 8 of 15, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have had several of these mobo's with no problems. I have one setup right now with P3-500mhz. and Win98se.
Sounds like a bad CMOS battery. Did you replace the battery ?
A fresh $1.50 battery can work wonders.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_tr … r++cmos+battery

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2018-07-24, 19:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bad caps or possibly a bad motherboard. I ran into several Abit 440BX boards with strange problems in 1998-1999. BE6-2, BX133, BH6, ZM6.... There used to be an article somewhere discussing a vendor's return rates of boards of that era. Abit didn't look good.

I still have a BF6 around that I recapped. It is very picky about what PCI cards go in each slot. I wouldn't call it rock solid in general but it's ok for a game machine.

Usually good to avoid the Highpoint ATA controllers they liked to integrate on boards of that time. I also try to use only PS2 input devices.

Reply 11 of 15, by gladders

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Guys....

It seems to be working all of a sudden.

Not sure what I did. I was in the midst of doing a series of final tests before I resorted to finding someone to recap it for me (trying different OS, trying memtest, etc) and as I had a spare 40GB HDD lying about I installed it as primary slave, so I had dual hard drives. Powered up, installed W98... and it didn't die.

Before I went any further I was tampering with video resolution settings on my Trident and I managed to bodge that, so it went out of range of my monitor. Then it stopped POSTING entirely. Shit.

So I reset CMOS settings and everything went back, and it's been pretty good since,

I SWEAR I reset the CMOS when I changed the battery. But maybe what happened was when I flashed the BIOS I should have reset the CMOS again. I dunno.

It freezes if I have a PS/2 mouse and a USB flash drive at the same time though, but given this ordeal, I'm happy. It still gives off a vibe of shakey though.

Reply 12 of 15, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a few Abit BH6 and BX6. I really don't care for the bios options.
They are more troublesome than Asus or Intel mobos.
I remember I had the same problems trying to get mine setup with large hard-drives that the bios did not support.

Reply 13 of 15, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gladders wrote:

Theory:

I have two GPUs in - a Trident 9000, and an Nvidia GeForce. I was planning on having each work for different OSes (Trident in 3.1, Nvidia in 98). Could they be causing the system to mess up that would make the drive hiccup? I haven't gotten advanced enough into the system to install drivers before it goes sad on me, but I thought it was possible to have two GPUs in a computer without trouble.

What? You have TWO VGA cards in your machine? Especially a legacy Trident card and a more modern GeForce? Both are probably trying to serve as a VGA card and have overlapping BIOS and RAM areas. I think they should conflict plenty. Back then you couldn't stick in two VGA cards. One VGA and one Hercules or MDA was ok, because they had different I/O ports, RAM addresses and BIOS addresses.

Also, why the 9000? It does not have acceleration or anything and the GeForce should run 800x600 just fine under Windows 3.1.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 14 of 15, by okenido

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just gave up with a bx6 too. I feel bad since it's a very nice motherboard, despite some design issue on the first version (ide/floppy connectors placement is very annoying ).
The problem I had seems to be related to IDE. Sometimes windows 98 would randomly hangs at startup. The zip drive I installed was never recognized by windows even if correctly detected during post. The CD-ROM drive even disappeared from Windows for no reason. I've checked the ram, 0 errors. I was wondering if the sata/ide adapter I use may be an issue (it's connected to an SSD) but I remember using it on another computer without problems.
In the end I've switched to another mothboard, with another power supply and a hard drive instead of SSD, and everything is working now. I still have the bx6 setup so I may try to find the exact source of the problem if someone is interested (I admit I lack motivation by myself since I have a working setup now)