VOGONS

First post, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
i wonder if some new gaming mouse are compatible with USB to PS/2 adapters? Or if there is some more advanced adapter which could make working all new mouses?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 2 of 9, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ruthan, I only know for a fact that this one is (with the simplest of passive adapters possible), but it is loud as all hell and it is - indeed - quite basic.

Celeron 800@1066, 512MB, GeForce2 MX AGP/GeForce 8400GS PCI, ES1938S/Dreamblaster S2, DOS 6.22/Windows 3.11/Windows ME/Windows 2000

Reply 3 of 9, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some of the newer Kensington wired mice have PS/2 circuitry still.
https://www.kensington.com/ce/ca/4522/8589672 … -fullsize-mouse

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 4 of 9, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Revolter wrote:

ruthan, I only know for a fact that this one is (with the simplest of passive adapters possible), but it is loud as all hell and it is - indeed - quite basic.

I am using a V2.0 of this mouse with my retro PCs with PS/2 ports and can verify it works.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5 of 9, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote:

Startech PS22USB is such a converter .
https://www.startech.com/support/PS22USB
It was about 100$ US . Seems to be out of stock pretty much everywhere .

So this will make to work any new USB mouse ?

I find for now only new Genius mouse:
https://www.cnet.com/products/genius-traveler … e-series/specs/ - manufacturer: KYE Systems America Corporation
But its more torture device, worse than 95 mouses, than gaming mouse..

Last edited by ruthan on 2018-07-04, 01:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 6 of 9, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ruthan wrote:

So this will make to work any new USB mouse ?

That's the theory . I have never tried one .

See also this thread for a fairly current Staples brand USB mouse that works with a passive PS/2 adapter . The Staples website lists it as still available .
Re: USB mice still available in retail stores/online with PS/2 protocol compatibility

Reply 9 of 9, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Using a Logitech MX400 laser mouse (model no. M-BZ105A) with a passive USB to PS/2 adapter with my retro rigs. Absolutely loving it, the sensor works perfectly on just about any surface, and it never gave me any trouble. It might not be in production anymore, but it's still a modern mouse, and it's quite common, should be easy to get your hands on one on the second hand market if you can't find a new one.