Slimline LS120 SuperDrive Floppy drive

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Slimline LS120 SuperDrive Floppy drive

Postby Thermalwrong » 2018-7-11 @ 21:37

I've been after an LS-120 superdrive for a while, because my old retro PC (circa 2002) had one and I sold it off again after that PC broke - and because I really enjoy how quickly they read floppy disks.

These things are ELUSIVE now, especially in a functional state. I managed to get hold of a broken 3.5" LS-120 drive and had no luck getting that going but kept an eye out. Eventually I spotted what I thought was one Panasonic CF-VFS712 superdrive module for a toughbook, and that turned out to be five superdrive modules - but alas I have no toughbook that would fit this, so I tried dismantling them.

These modules are pretty good if I can get them working because they contain an LKM-FC33-5 drive, which is one of the last superdrives ever made (because they were pretty useless when they were made in mid 2001). It has a laptop optical style 50 pin connector, so I thought it would just work if I plugged it into that :)
IMG_20180711_215454.jpg
The LKM-FC33-5 SuperDrive

I tried one of the drives in a laptop optical drive USB caddy, which resulted in the USB port shorting instantly so went back to the drawing board - and spotted this post here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... Pe0mb_Ao7c

The pinout of the drive is completely different from a regular laptop optical drive, but the caddy contained an interposer board to connect the CD-ROM / LS-120 to the weird toughbook multibay module pinout (which has 160 pins). Conveniently, the CD-ROM traces link to the LS-120 traces
IMG_20180711_215347 (Large).jpg
The interposer board, which has the connector soldered on to the LS-120 side. The 50-pin flat connector goes to the modular connector

Initially, I thought I could solder wires onto the CD-ROM connector part, or a regular optical drive connector, but there's no such thing (or need for) a 50 pin ide connector gender changer :D
Just fitting a connector on there results in the connector being upside-down, with pins 1 to 49 going where pins 2 to 50 go.
Soldering that was Much Too Hard and now I have a practically ruined USB > IDE laptop drive board with a few of the pads burned off...

So instead, I checked out what each pin corresponds to on either one, using the table here:
http://old.pinouts.ru/HD/cdrom_40to50_pinout.shtml

And here's the result, now I feel stupid, since it's just a regular IDE connector but tiny. Of course there is no such connector / adapter that's available to just connect it up, so now I want to try out soldering up some wires so I can actually use the drives:
LKM-FC33 pinout.png
Thermalwrong

Re: Slimline LS120 SuperDrive Floppy drive

Postby feipoa » 2018-7-11 @ 22:24

Are you wiahing to use these in a desktop PC? If so, why not just buy a standard LS-120 drive? Cost?
feipoa
l33t++

Postby Thermalwrong » 2018-7-11 @ 23:49

I just want to make use of them and I enjoy figuring this stuff out :)

Also from what I've read, the later model drives (1999 to 2001) work a lot better than the early model ones, which read far slower. I don't think the newer drives are so easy to get, though I could get a newer model 3.5" drive from the states for about double what I paid for these 5 drives (yes it is a little bit about cost).
Thermalwrong

Postby CaelThunderwing » 2018-7-11 @ 23:59

the bonus the later models had than earlier ones (before you get into the LS240's) is a more stable head and faster reads. i got a USB Version (ones ment for a Mac) and it does read slower than one should expect, (faster than a Parallel Port edition, but slower than one connected over IDE (which you can negate by passing the IDE2USB converter in the casing and connect the drive itself over IDE)
CaelThunderwing

Postby feipoa » 2018-7-12 @ 08:28

Interesting. I had looked into getting one of these a few years back and decided the cost wasn't worth it. I have a bin of about 3 dozen 3.5" floppy drives, so if one dies, I'm set for life. The idea of faster floppy access is very appealing though, as I do not use floppy emulators anywhere.
feipoa
l33t++

Return to General Old Hardware