VOGONS

First post, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The OS is Windows 95 OSR, but I need a DOS Sound, how do you install the sound driver for DOS when a game loads up in DOS mode? Sound card is Cobra AW744. There is sound in Windows.

Reply 1 of 4, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The regular windows driver are coming with "Legacy Sound" or something like that. Take a look at these settings in the device manager, and modify them if they don't fit what you want, and then just set up your DOS program to use the same settings.

Sound cards using Yamaha chipset should be used as Sound Blaster Pro. I configured my YMF744 based sound card with IRQ 5, DMA 1 and address 220, just like most Sound Blaster Pros

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 2 of 4, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is your card Cobra AW744? I have this error, when I setup the card in DOS mode. Also the OS hangs if the autoexec.bat has C:\DS-XG\SETUPDS.EXE /s in it, so I removed it in order to load the OS.

My current autoexec.bat is this:
SET BLASTER=A240 I5 D1 T4
copy C:\DS-XG\DOS4GW.EXE \
chcp 437
del \DOS4GW.EXE

IMG_2018.jpg

This is my current device manager:
pci.jpg

Board is Intel 815E/EP chipset. My sound card is in the first left PCI slot, and graphic card is in the second slot of the PCI:
232567101.jpg

Reply 3 of 4, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your card is conflicting with tons of things. You should disable your onboard audio first if you didn't do that.

As for the DOS configuration, try to disable the card, reboot, and then re-enable it.
Anyways, i815 chipset don't have DDMA feature, and I doubt you had access to any SB_Link connector, so if you want to use that card under pure DOS, you're going to need a TSR. However under Windows, when properly configured, it'll be fine.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative