VOGONS

First post, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’ve just added a small fan to the heatsink of my Voodoo3 2000 and got some fantastic results out of it - seems 100% stable at the 183mhz clock speed of the 3500 and I haven’t tried pushing it any further yet. 3Dmark scores are up by around 1/3 which is pretty crazy.

This has got me thinking about the puny heatsinks and fans on my Voodoo5 - it gets very very hot to the touch even at stock speeds. Much more so than the modified V3 even though that has a huge overclock on it. I’m not necessarily after higher clock speeds on the V5 but lower temps would be nice. Anyone got any tips for improving the cooling on one? Any tips for removing the old heatsinks welcome too, I’m nervous to do it!

My idea was to use some heatsinks like this https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https … %2F113022989575 and reattach the original fans - they should be much larger in surface area being a fair bit taller and about 5mm wider in each direction, and also keep a nice stock-ish look to the card as I’m not a fan of some of the huge heatsinks I’ve seen some people bolt on - any thoughts?

- P-MMX 200MHZ, PCChips M598LMR, Voodoo
- P-MMX 233MHz, FIC PA2013, S3 ViRGE + Voodoo
- PII 400MHz, MSI MS6119, ATI Rage Pro Turbo + Voodoo2 SLI
- PIII 1400MHz, ECS P6IPAT, Voodoo5 5500
- Toshiba Libretto 110CT, 300MHz, 96MB RAM

Reply 2 of 10, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The coolest thing on earth is the Voodoo 5, is it not?

🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 3 of 10, by Violett'Blossom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
britain4 wrote:

I’ve just added a small fan to the heatsink of my Voodoo3 2000 and got some fantastic results out of it - seems 100% stable at the 183mhz clock speed of the 3500 and I haven’t tried pushing it any further yet. 3Dmark scores are up by around 1/3 which is pretty crazy.

This has got me thinking about the puny heatsinks and fans on my Voodoo5 - it gets very very hot to the touch even at stock speeds. Much more so than the modified V3 even though that has a huge overclock on it. I’m not necessarily after higher clock speeds on the V5 but lower temps would be nice. Anyone got any tips for improving the cooling on one? Any tips for removing the old heatsinks welcome too, I’m nervous to do it!

My idea was to use some heatsinks like this https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https … %2F113022989575 and reattach the original fans - they should be much larger in surface area being a fair bit taller and about 5mm wider in each direction, and also keep a nice stock-ish look to the card as I’m not a fan of some of the huge heatsinks I’ve seen some people bolt on - any thoughts?

Hello, I did something that might seem lightly like an overkill, I tore apart one of my dead passively cooled radeon cards, got rid of old fans and attached this with thermal grease using rubber bands, might not be the best option but its maxed on 42 celsius.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Retro gaming : Compaq Armada E500
Portable : MacBook Air 2012
Hackingtosh : I5 6500 8GB DDR4 RX480 8GB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply 4 of 10, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Haha certainly some “interesting” suggestions 😁

I know the cards were designed to run as hot as they do but surely at the age they are now it would increase their lifespan making them run a bit cooler? Just nervous getting the heatsinks off

Not sure if I want to go the whole hog and slap a Radeon cooler on there haha but I quite like my idea of just taller heatsinks with more fins + the stock fans, has to make some difference right? while retaining most of the stock appearance

Reply 6 of 10, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
lvader wrote:

I think the best solution is to underclock it a bit and to compensate with a faster cpu.

I don't think that's how that works. If you are fill rate or bandwidth limited, a faster CPU will do nothing.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 8 of 10, by britain4

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is true but surely with a faster CPU you’re working the card harder making it run hotter instead of cooler? 😐

I’m already running it with a 1.4ghz Tualatin but it seems by adding a faster CPU and then underclocking the card you’d just end up back where you started performance and heat wise?

Reply 9 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

People here have swapped the fans, admittedly 1/2 the time that's to reduce noise but modern fans move more air then the nothing special ones the v5 came with.
The usual tricks to break glued on heatsinks apply here. My favourite is freeze the card and try. it is scary though!

Reply 10 of 10, by lvader

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
britain4 wrote:

This is true but surely with a faster CPU you’re working the card harder making it run hotter instead of cooler? 😐

I’ve not seen any evidence that a faster cpu would cause a voodoo 5500 to run hotter, but I agree that a 1.4ghz Tualatin is fast enough.