VOGONS

First post, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello all,

I came across a working (no bad sectors!) Seagate ST 412 10 meg MFM drive.

Here's a quick unscripted video I took with it/about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84M_E8xw8Ss&feature=youtu.be

I ran it with a 286 motherboard quicknick traded with me a while ago, which came all the way from Romania. After a quick Dallas RTC battery conversion, I was able to use it with DOS 5 and Windows 3.0 (and little room for anything more). It's configured with 4Mb SIPPS and a 1Mb TSENG video card.

So this whole thing got me thinking - I have several AT class computers, and several types of storage. Why not do a comparison?

For systems I was thinking:

-The mentioned 286
-a 386 SX 16 with 4 Mb RAM (or an SX 20 with 5Mb RAM, which can be reduced to 4 Mb)
-a 486 DX2/66 with 32 Mb RAM (I could bring it down to 4 Mb for comparison purposes)
-a Pentium 166 (VX chipset) with 16 Mb RAM

The media:

-Seagate ST 412
-Quantum ProDrive 540AT
-Chinese IDE SSD (256 Mb)
-512 Mb Transcend CF card
-Fujitsu SCSI 256 Mb

Thing is, I don't want to disturb what's on the disk, so I was thinking of making a DOS 6.22 boot disk with some diags on it (sysinfo, syschk, some others) and trying out each type of drive in each system. Any suggestions to make this as streamlined, accurate, and easy for me as possible?

Suggestions welcome.

Last edited by Jed118 on 2018-07-24, 15:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 1 of 2, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is pretty cool. Amazing how brutal these drives are.

I only have a ST-225 20meg, which I have in my XT class machine. My drive is only about 30 years old compared to your almost 40 year old drive.

Reply 2 of 2, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Glad you've put that board to good use. Seems I was wrong about the Quadtel BIOS, but in my defence... I did not have a MFM drive attached to it 😀
It's amazing to see such a drive working, brings me some mixed memories from about '94-95... My first PC was a Russian XT clone, Iskra 1030.11. It had a clone of this drive, made in Bulgaria by "IZOT". Thing is, I never got it to work. Error 1701 at boot, the debug command invoking the low-level format did nothing... So after about a year of trying I dismantled the drive in despair. Guess I was dumb(er) then 😁

Suggestion? Pack the drive well, run another test in ~20 years 😀