VOGONS

My Australian Collection

Topic actions

First post, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Bunch of pics I took while back home and at the parents.

MY very first PC in 1998, my last year in High School and was in part to "help with my studies"

GP400.jpg

I remember specking it out, a mate with more idea of current hardware then me recommending swapping out the default graphics for a 16MB TNT. Coming from a 486 with a Mach64 I remember being blown away seeing NFS3 for the first time.
I went pretty low on RAM as that's an easy upgrade later, and paying extra for NT4 workstation, as I really did want to use it to get more familiar with IT then just gaming.

Dad still wasn't ready to spend $3000 over the internet so we drove up to Sydney and went to the actual shop and got a discount, which was a surprise!

What I ended up with was a P2 400, 64MB Ram, 10GB HDD, 32x CD-ROM, onboard Soundlaster PCI64, 15" EV500 CRT monitor
Brought locally at the same time for less was a 10MB NIC as the 486 already had a NIC for gaming. (over coax though)
Ever since the start it duel booted Win98 and NT4 and was able to drop back to pure dos to play doom, C&C, RA, Warcraft 1 & 2 with the 486.

The Zip 650 burner was my first purchase from my first job. It still works but is a bit flakey towards the end I seem to remember.
It's had a few ram, graphics, sound, HDD, upgrades over the years but was my daily driver right upto when I left for the UK in 2006.
Last game I played on it was GTA3, it lagged but you got used to it 🤣!

Gateways.jpg

The "baby brother" is a Celeron based system from around the same era. I got this from a client round 2005? who had purchased Gateways before we started supporting them. The more observant would have noticed the model number on the front of my case doesn't actually say GP4 400. This is because the same client had this PC but the power button was broken so said they could borrow mine until the PC was replaced and I would take the whole lot, Only I left the country before collecting the PC, Doh!

Seems like the power supply has died on this while in storage in my parents garage, as did the 15" CRT which was a shame as it was pretty nice picture, but not that upset as doubt I was ever actually going to use the screen again and parents probably appreciate the bit of extra space.

HP CD tower, 1 or 2 drives are known to be dead. Doesn't allow Win2k or newer to access it over the network. Have plan to see if I can use SCSI HDD's and make it a NAS or upgrade to DVD's....one day
CDTwr.jpg

5.25 DISK drives, I thought I only had 2, must have had babies?
Floppys.jpg

3.5 disk drives and bunch of low capacity IDE drives (1 20GB, rest are 4GB or under)
HDD_FDD.jpg

CD and DVD drives, the slot load DVD towards the bottom I brought new and lived in my gateway, Hardly used. The Richo SCSI burned was a nice surprise, I didn't know I had that!
CDDrives.jpg

and lastly a Toshiba laptop, which I think I actually brought over from the UK previously?
https://s25.postimg.cc/gzs126kpr/Laptop.jpg

Not pictured is box full of ram, power supplies, disk's and CD's and general random stuff that gets collected over the years but may be useful (even though its on the other side of the world!)

Reply 1 of 7, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you remember the models of the Gateways and HP?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 2 of 7, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

G'day m8
Nice collection of 'stuff' ...
I suspect like me ..you don't need a room or a shed ..
Getting to the point where I need a lockup for storage ..
I hate to part with anything.
rgds

Reply 3 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Part numbers
My P2 was a GP6 400
the Celeron is a GP6 400c
their is a age difference though as the P2 is Slot 1 where as the Celeron is Socket 370
HP tower is a HP J3278A

Vipersan wrote:
G'day m8 Nice collection of 'stuff' ... I suspect like me ..you don't need a room or a shed .. Getting to the point where I need […]
Show full quote

G'day m8
Nice collection of 'stuff' ...
I suspect like me ..you don't need a room or a shed ..
Getting to the point where I need a lockup for storage ..
I hate to part with anything.
rgds

Well this is actually after a big clear out of 10+ PC's about 10 years ago, just before I got back into old PC's,
but don't worry got a corner of a lockup here in the uk that's slowly filling with things like this
Dells.jpg

its only a sickness if you don't enjoy it right?

Reply 4 of 7, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The case says GP7-500 or am I reading it wrong?

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 5 of 7, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dont suppose somewhere amongst that stuff you have a SCSI interfaced CD/PD going cheap ??
I had one once ..but sadly no longer functions ..
I still do have 2 x IDE interface CD/PD drives ..but would like to get my hands on a scsi version as I did 30 years back.
mine was a matshita ..(panny) ...but I believe Compaq branded a few..
LF-1094D springs to mind.
rgds
VS

Reply 6 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Errius wrote:

The case says GP7-500 or am I reading it wrong?

you got points for observation, only to loose them

"The more observant would have noticed the model number on the front of my case doesn't actually say GP4 400. This is because the same client had this PC but the power button was broken so said they could borrow mine until the PC was replaced and I would take the whole lot, Only I left the country before collecting the PC, Doh!"

Vipersan wrote:
Dont suppose somewhere amongst that stuff you have a SCSI interfaced CD/PD going cheap ?? I had one once ..but sadly no longer f […]
Show full quote

Dont suppose somewhere amongst that stuff you have a SCSI interfaced CD/PD going cheap ??
I had one once ..but sadly no longer functions ..
I still do have 2 x IDE interface CD/PD drives ..but would like to get my hands on a scsi version as I did 30 years back.
mine was a matshita ..(panny) ...but I believe Compaq branded a few..
LF-1094D springs to mind.
rgds
VS

How long can you wait? This is all buried deep in my parents garage now for probably another 5 years or so.

Reply 7 of 7, by Vipersan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hopefully I aint going anywhere soon ..so I'll excercise some patience.
🤣