VOGONS

First post, by dangerdook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Guys!
I've got an old pcchips m919 and it has a AT connector on it. I have an old keyboard working through AT > PS2 > PS2 keyboard, but I'd really like a mouse to use with the 95 install it came with 🤣.

Can I add one of these and one of these to my monstrosity and call it a day?

Bonus question! Why does a IDE to CF card cause my Am5x86 to drop from 133 down to something dumb like 25mhz (can't remember how slow, but very slow)

Reply 1 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The splitters only work with ports designed for them which mostly includes laptops only. They run both mouse and keyboard to single connector using the normally unused pins for the second device. Controller can automatically sense if there's a keyboard, mouse or both on the connector and act accordingly. It is not going to work with any old desktop or most new ones for that matter.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 4, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can always connect a serial mouse. 😀

dangerdook wrote:

Bonus question! Why does a IDE to CF card cause my Am5x86 to drop from 133 down to something dumb like 25mhz (can't remember how slow, but very slow)

Using an M919 with an X5-133 and a CF card as well with no issues. What rev is your M919? Did you try a different CF card / adapter?

Reply 3 of 4, by dangerdook

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote:

The splitters only work with ports designed for them which mostly includes laptops only. They run both mouse and keyboard to single connector using the normally unused pins for the second device. Controller can automatically sense if there's a keyboard, mouse or both on the connector and act accordingly. It is not going to work with any old desktop or most new ones for that matter.

Heck, makes sense though. I need to find a serial mouse that isn't terrible then. The PS2 mice are so cheap and easy to come by =(

derSammler wrote:

You can always connect a serial mouse. 😀

dangerdook wrote:

Using an M919 with an X5-133 and a CF card as well with no issues. What rev is your M919? Did you try a different CF card / adapter?

this one is the only one I've tried so far and I'm not sure what rev I've got. I'll have to stare at it tonight I guess.

Reply 4 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dangerdook wrote:

Heck, makes sense though. I need to find a serial mouse that isn't terrible then.
The PS2 mice are so cheap and easy to come by =

There's another solution, too. You can build a PS/2 to RS232 adapter using a micro controller.
USB to serial mouse adapter - Raspberry Pi

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//