VOGONS

First post, by talvisota

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there

I recently got my hands on a Supermicro P3TDDR board. So I put two Tualatins on it, installed some ram and an ordinary HDD and installed Windows XP SP3 on it. Played around with the system for a while and everything seemed to run fine. Then I also wanted to try Windows 7 just because I can. I know that XP will run better on that PC but I also want to see Win 7 running on that system. So I booted from a normal Win 7 x86 DVD and the first part of the setup runs perfectly fine but then when it's time to reboot the screen stays black when the board tries to boot from the HDD.

Specs:
Supermicro P3TDDR
2x P3 Tualatin 1.26 GHz
2x 1 GB DDR-400
Geforce FX 5500 PCI (sadly no AGP slot on that board)
some 80 GB IDE HDD from Samsung

I already tried to use different RAM, onboard graphics instead of the FX 5500, another old HDD with 20 GB but it doesn't change anything. I also used a different Win 7 DVD but that didn't help either...

Anyone has an idea what could be the issue here? Maybe some wrong setting in the BIOS prevents me from installing Win 7 properly? In the past I already installed Win 7 on systems much older and slower than this one and I never had any problems...

Reply 1 of 1, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seen this on a few old boards (none were dual socket though) and it seems to be related to the IDE controller - XP is fine but Windows 7 hangs exactly where yours does. Only fix I ever found was using either onboard SCSI or an add-in IDE / SCSI card.