VOGONS

First post, by stoff88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.

I have an Asus P3B-F Rev. 1.04 With two isa slots.
The motherboard worked fine right before it was sendt to me, but when i got it, it freezes in post with strangely behavior.
It shows screen in bios and bios give 1 beep (As if everything is ok), but then it is almost like u hold an button down on the keyboard until it starts beep fast/screaming at you to stop that sh#¤% 🤣

I have a video of the actual problem on my cloud: (For those who will not click external links, this problem sounds almost like you hold an button Down on the keyboard in bios so it beeps fast, only the sound is way more quiet.)
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AqqHie8TaZlehNQj2tvIYVX23GrqDw

I have tested:
#1 - Battery (New)
#2 - I have taken a good look over the components, capacitors look ok (No bumps on top), and the motherboard itself looks like good condition.
#3 - Without no pci card, no IDE drivers (And no cables), different cpu's, different rams, different AGP cards and so on.
#4 - Cleaned ram slots and cpu slots With isopropanol.
#5 - Power supply ok! I have an Rev. 1.03 Version of the same motherboard also, this Does not support the cpu i am planning to Upgrade.
#6 - The Components i have tried on the Rev. 1.04 is now working in the Rev. 1.03 motherboard, so they are all working.
#7 - It is not possible to update bios as everythink freezes.
#8 - I have checket for loose components and parts, looks ok.
#9 - UPDATED - I have now measured every transistor, they are all ok.
#10 - I have also tried to not hold a button down on the keyboard... 🤣

Thank you for all help i can get on this!

Last edited by stoff88 on 2018-08-17, 15:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Best regards
Christopher H.H. 😊 😊

Reply 1 of 4, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a problem with some component related to the keyboard/mouse ports. Apparently you have to remove a component marked C151, near the KB/MS ports.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 2 of 4, by stoff88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh holy, that was fast answer.

It looks like that is an 8 pin "microcontroller" With black label on, yes. But is this a common problem With the Board?
Is it not better to replace the C151 rather than removing it, and is it possible to measure it some way?

Best regards
Christopher H.H. 😊 😊

Reply 3 of 4, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Didn't know about that solution before but i recognise that problem from some other Asus boards. Seems to be a common problem after googling it and removing the C151 seems to work on a lot of other Asus boards as well.

Seems to do some sort of filtering and have a little fuse that can create a short which is the culprit. Removing it wil fix your problem probably.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 4 of 4, by stoff88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you so much, i honestly did not expect any solution at all.
I will test this out soon as the card isn't working any way, and i will post back later!

Best regards
Christopher H.H. 😊 😊