VOGONS

First post, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My IBM PC300 just stopped turning on recently. I suspect a bad power supply.

I have a box of old power supplies and one of them is a Dell NPS-250KB, Rev 03.

I have heard that some Dell power supplies are proprietary and could fry a non-Dell motherboard. (Or can a normal PSU fry a Dell motherboard?)

Can anyone tell me if this Dell power supply is safe to use in my IBM?

Thanks.

Attachments

• dell nps-250kb.jpg
    Filename
    dell nps-250kb.jpg
    File size
    818.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 7, by Nprod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That depends on whether they're standard ATX power supplies and if the pinouts match. Companies like Dell like to switch the pinout around on their PSUs from time even between their own models just to troll you, so it's never 100% certain without a datasheet or measuring it yourself. The worst i've seen is on modern Fujitsus that change the Standby line from 5V to 11V 😒

Reply 2 of 7, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Find a PSU that you know is standard ATX. Look at the wire colors in the ATX connector and compare it with this PSU. If the arrangement of the wire colors matches, then this should also be a standard ATX PSU.
You can also find the standard ATX pinout here:
http://pinouts.ru/Power/atxpower_pinout.shtml

orange=3.3v
red=5v
yellow=12v
purple = 5vsb

Another approach is to plug the PSU Into some load (a CDROM drive, hard drive, etc), power it up by shorting the green and black pins, and use a multimeter to measure voltages at each pin.

If you are convinced that the connector does match the standard ATX pinout, then to be extra safe, test it on a motherboard of low value before moving it to something important.

Reply 3 of 7, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shamino wrote:
Find a PSU that you know is standard ATX. Look at the wire colors in the ATX connector and compare it with this PSU. If the ar […]
Show full quote

Find a PSU that you know is standard ATX. Look at the wire colors in the ATX connector and compare it with this PSU. If the arrangement of the wire colors matches, then this should also be a standard ATX PSU.
You can also find the standard ATX pinout here:
http://pinouts.ru/Power/atxpower_pinout.shtml

orange=3.3v
red=5v
yellow=12v
purple = 5vsb

Another approach is to plug the PSU Into some load (a CDROM drive, hard drive, etc), power it up by shorting the green and black pins, and use a multimeter to measure voltages at each pin.

If you are convinced that the connector does match the standard ATX pinout, then to be extra safe, test it on a motherboard of low value before moving it to something important.

OK, so based on the pinout described in your link, the Dell PSU I have is standard ATX.

However, when I looked at the IBM's power supply, it had some differently colored wires. Now I am wondering if the IBM power supply is non-standard.

Please see the pics. One side of the IBM's connector has standard ATX colored wires. However, the other side adds in two brownish wires.

Now I'm confused.

Attachments

• ibm psu 2.jpg
    Filename
    ibm psu 2.jpg
    File size
    576.81 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • ibm psu 1.jpg
    Filename
    ibm psu 1.jpg
    File size
    460.66 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 4 of 7, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is strange. The brown wire at pin11 (the corner) is supposed to be an orange +3.3V according to the standard pinout.
If you have a meter, the first thing I'd do is check if brown at pin11 has continuity to brown at pin14. If the 2 brown wires have continuity then something is definitely non-standard with this PSU and mobo, and they shouldn't be mixed with standard ATX equipment.

If the browns are not connected, then check if pin11 has continuity to the orange wires. If pin11 has continuity to orange, then that's consistent with the standard pinout, but then I don't know why the color is different.
You could also try checking for continuity between the corresponding pins on the motherboard. If pin11 on the motherboard has continuity to the pins that the orange wires plug into, then it must also be a 3.3V pin and they end up on the same circuit when plugged into the motherboard, even if they're not connected inside the PSU.

If pin11 doesn't have continuity to orange, then you could try checking what voltage it has on it when running. Maybe that pin is still 3.3V, but on a separate rail from those with the orange wires.

The other brown at pin 14 is supposed to be the green PS_ON pin, which when shorted to ground, causes the PSU to turn on. I'm assuming the IBM doesn't use an old fashioned AT style mechanical power switch, so this feature must be present. I don't know why the wire color is different.
I'm not sure the safest way to confirm that this pin is standard.
Maybe putting a resistor between that wire and the adjacent black would trigger the PSU to turn on, without causing enough of a short to cause damage if we're wrong. But I'm not sure what resistor value would be appropriate.

I don't know anything about any non-standard IBM power supply pinouts.

Reply 5 of 7, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for all that info, but I don't have any testing equipment.

The only other thing this is visually odd about the IBM power supply (which is a Delta brand) is that it is about an inch taller than normal ATX power supplies.

In the picture below, the IBM PSU is on the left and the Dell PSU is on the right.

I also included the information sticker from the IBM PSU.

Thanks.

Attachments

• ibm psu 3.jpg
    Filename
    ibm psu 3.jpg
    File size
    814.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • ibm psu 4.jpg
    Filename
    ibm psu 4.jpg
    File size
    667.7 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 6 of 7, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Upon doing a google search for the power supply's model number, it looks like it's one of the newer models from the Pentium 4 era and since Dell transitioned to standard ATX at that time, you should be able to use that power supply on any regular ATX motherboard/computer.

For future reference, the proprietary pinout issue applies to the beige (i.e. Pentium III or older) Dell computers only. All newer black Dells (excluding the Dimension 2100/2200/8100) used standard ATX.

Reply 7 of 7, by tegrady

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for all the responses! I installed the Dell PS in my IBM 300PL, but it did not work. When I hit the power button absolutely nothing happens.

Now I have to figure out what is wrong with the 300PL.

It has some strange proprietary front panel connector, so I cannot directly short it to turn on the power, as far as I know.

I think this deserves a new topic.