VOGONS

First post, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I got this (maybe turbo) XT board. Seems really nice, doesn't it? 😀

IMG_20180814_215243_zpsvvfmxh5x.jpg
IMG_20180814_215316_zpseegf7wvf.jpg

The bad thing is I got it without CPU, so I had to dig one from Commodore PC20 and I don't even know if it is in correct slot or even correct CPU. Worse - I can't read the ROM because MiniPRO has no idea about existence of this chip. Even worse - the motherboard appears dead at the moment. In the very second of applying voltages the speaker goes wild on loud low-pitched beep (not that low, just lower then normal boards) and doesn't stop until the PSU is turned off.

I would like to dig more thoroughly, as a matter of facts - I would anyway, but without datasheet it is really sad and very, very time consuming job. Wandering all around with a multimeter with no idea where to start. I can't even go through the route of tracing burned board or rotten tracks after battery going berserk, because the board has none of that.
Any help is appretiated 😀

By the way - all the work done to this time on this board is that I tested all of the 256×1 DRAM chips on my tester, every single has passed. CPU is known good and all of the chips with V on it were tested on other board and worked aswell.

Reply 1 of 11, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh wow, I never seen anything fall so quickly on second page. Huh, why are my questions always unanswered? Maybe because my questions have no answer all the time 😁

Reply 4 of 11, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Predator99 wrote:

Do you hear the beep also without CPU installed?

Read the ROM as 27C512.

Oh, I didn't think about that. Actually without CPU the board does the exact same beep. And even without the ROM chip it does that.

I read the ROM as you said, but the code was present two times and with lot of margin space, first from 0x6000, second from 0xE000. It is saved though so I can burn it back if something goes wrong.
Also there is some super duper old PROM chip 74S287, but I have no idea how to read that.

seas.png
Filename
seas.png
File size
46.28 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I am using known good PSU by the way if you ask.

Reply 5 of 11, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Then its actually a 27C256, half the size. The image you read is correct, but includes 2 copies.

74S287 is most likely a logic IC (74LS287), you can also check it with the TL866.

Indeed, than the beep indicates a short. Leave CPU+ROM uninstalled until fixed. Check the pins on the back if some are touching each other. Check the power lines on the ISA bus. Buy a POST card 😉

Reply 6 of 11, by Murugan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Supposing it works like an 5150/5160 motherboard...does it still beep with P8 removed?
I also have an 5160 board that shorts but PSU works when removing P8 from the PSU connector on the board.

My retro collection: too much...

Reply 7 of 11, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Of course the beep stops when P8253 is removed, but that is because the P8253 itself is connected to the oscillator and generates square wave in its counter which is modulated by the UMC82C55A. Both of those goes into NAND gate, then through NOT gate and straight to the speaker. If one of those are not present, the NAND gate will never activate and never beep.

The motherboard looks OK, no shorts visible. If it was, I would already notice it. And all the voltages seems OK to me.

IMG_20180817_205200.jpg
Filename
IMG_20180817_205200.jpg
File size
588.13 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 9 of 11, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Umm.. I guess there are some, but not very much. And tantalum caps has really bad habit of showing they are indeed bad by exploding and horrible smell... Probably will change them in future, yeah, but thay have to arrive first 😀

Reply 10 of 11, by krivulak

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I made myself an reduction for my logic probe, so I hope some action happens now. Sadly, I start to point at the UMC chip, seems to be messed up.

IMG_20180820_210929.jpg
Filename
IMG_20180820_210929.jpg
File size
432.66 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 11 of 11, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good with your trouble shooting! Would be sad to throw such a nice board away. Hope you will find the defect!

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC