VOGONS

First post, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In the process of collecting hardware, I now pretty much have 3 boxes full of modems.

I was planning on just going through and keeping a few of the hardware modems.... maybe.

What about Win modems? The Lucent based 56k ones were really the only ones I could get to connect at close to rated speed. I never had any hardware based 56k modems.

Is there any reason to really keep any of them?

Guessing there is absolutely no point in keeping the slower ones.

I really need to thin out the stuff I really don't need/want.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 1 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm.. Good question. Personally, I try to keep hardware-based modems, since they do work in DOS and do have an on-board computer.
On the other hand, win modems might be faster if the PC is powerful, since everything is handled by Windows drivers, so they are more likely up-to-date.

Another thing that's valuable on the hardware-modems are the EPROM chips and the micrcontroller/processor.
Some of these chips might be collector's items already. So maybe it's woth checking them online and sell these cards for their parts.

Edit: Another use case for theese modems: Net play on a real DOS rig.
I haven't checked, but I'm confident that some projects exist that emulate the "other side" of the line.
That might be interesting for ancient games (net chess game on Windows 2.x or a DOS game like Megatron that has no IPX support)
That way, it might be possible to re-route the modem connection over the internet or the LAN.
DOSBox has a similar feature, I recall. The phone number is interpreted as an IP or IPX address.

Another idea is to use the ISA modem for a "LAN"-like duo-player scenario.
You could connect two modem-equipped computers over an analogue in-house telephone system.
Or you could use your DSL/cable router for that purpose. Some models like AVM's Fritzbox do have two TAE jacks for
connecting two phones. It can also establish connections between phone A and phone B.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 12, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is little point in keeping any POTS Modems in my opinion.

In my area at least, POTS doesn't exist so they are kind of impossible to use.

Maybe keep a couple, but beyond that, toss the rest IMO.

Reply 3 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
canthearu wrote:

There is little point in keeping any POTS Modems in my opinion.

In my area at least, POTS doesn't exist so they are kind of impossible to use.

Maybe keep a couple, but beyond that, toss the rest IMO.

We do have a Magic Jack. POTS phones/faxes/etc work with a Magic Jack.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 12, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

@Jo22

I will not throw them out even if I do get rid of them. I'll check to see if any of the older ones are worth anything.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 12, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would only keep USR hardware modems....or maybe some of the very early classics like the Hayes Smartmodem.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 6 of 12, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you like to have interesting pieces of history, why not - but otherwise modems are and will remain the most useless pieces of hardware from the past. Most other parts can be used in retro gaming or demo or whatever rigs but modems would need an external party playing along.

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 7 of 12, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How about ISDN adapters ? 😉

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 8 of 12, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote:

How about ISDN adapters ? 😉

Wouldn't hurt to keep 1, maybe 2.

But unfortunately, this kind of network hardware that relies on 3rd party networking systems is kind a useless.

Keeping a set of token ring cards with suitable switch and cables can be fun because you can use and demonstrate them.

Keeping 3 boxes of POTS modems, when you have limited or no POTS system available, is pointless because you can't really do anything with them.

Reply 9 of 12, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As others have said, keep a couple of RS-232 modems aside if you ever want to play with modem stuff in the future, at least you'll be able to use them with most computer equipment. PCI win-modems are completely useless, they will only work on win95 to probably XP, and obviously only in PCI slots. I usually scavenge any useful components off win-modems and then shoot them to pieces with my air rifle..

Reply 12 of 12, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hamby wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, but don't some ISA modems have UARTs on them?

Yep, but there is no shortage of old hardware with RS232 UARTs on them. You can use a null modem cable to connect 2 computers via RS232, no analog modem required.