VOGONS

First post, by Hamby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you ever watched a movie, seen the computer in it and just *wanted* it?

I was rewatching an old movie called "Her Alibi" and Tom Selleck is a writer who is using a Zenith Supersport for his writing. I remember now how, years later, I saw the movie and wanted that old laptop for my own writing (I hate trackpads/palmrests at the front of modern notebook keyboards). It's crisp, blue-on-white screen. Full-stroke keyboard...

I recall a similar lust for the Toshiba T5200... I was watching the movie "Medicine Man" where Sean Connery was using a T5200 to identify molecules or some such. I took one look at that gas-plasma display and instant lust. (I got myself a T5200 just a few months ago, largely because of the lust engendered by that movie).

Similarly, after seeing Jurassic Park, I badly wanted an SGI computer. Years later I eventually got an SGI O2. I still love the user interface on that thing (even though I don't have it anymore 😢 )
Anyone else see a computer on an old movie or tv show that either at the time you wanted or years later wanted to add to your retro collection?

Reply 1 of 5, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, Like I want that piece of junk “Tank” was hacking on in the movie “Matrix”

NOT !

Attachments

Reply 4 of 5, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Atari Portfolio from Terminator 2 and the IMSAI 8080 from WarGames, just to name a couple. Granted, adding an IMSAI to my collection would be a little difficult due to my limited space (small apartment), but the Atari Portfolio would fit right in perfectly. 🤣