VOGONS

First post, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I have a dell dimension 4550 that I bought for about 60 dollars and Ive reinstalled windows xp, I am looking to replace the geforce4 mx 420 with something decent, bare in mind I am running windows xp on this computer NOT 98, so my options arent limited, however I didnt game on computers at this time so I am not really sure what I can get. the computer psu doesn't have an extra molex cable (I think the power supply is only rated for about 330) so I am limited by that.

so what good gpu can I throw into this thing ?

Reply 1 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unless somebody upgraded the PSU in that thing, it is only 250w.

It should be able to take a standard ATX PSU.

What CPU is in it?

Any fast AGP card is going to be bottlenecked by a Pentium IV.

Fastest available was the ATI HD3850. (Some may say the HD4670), but you will be severely bottlenecked by the CPU.

I would go for something more like the nVidia 7800GS, 7900GS, or 7950GT and even that maybe bottlenecked quite a bit by the CPU.

Either way, IMO, you are going to want to upgrade the PSU in order to use a faster video card.

As you are running XP, I would make sure to have at least 1GB of RAM as below that XP sucks.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 17, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:
Unless somebody upgraded the PSU in that thing, it is only 250w. […]
Show full quote

Unless somebody upgraded the PSU in that thing, it is only 250w.

It should be able to take a standard ATX PSU.

What CPU is in it?

Any fast AGP card is going to be bottlenecked by a Pentium IV.

Fastest available was the ATI HD3850. (Some may say the HD4670), but you will be severely bottlenecked by the CPU.

I would go for something more like the nVidia 7800GS, 7900GS, or 7950GT and even that maybe bottlenecked quite a bit by the CPU.

Either way, IMO, you are going to want to upgrade the PSU in order to use a faster video card.

As you are running XP, I would make sure to have at least 1GB of RAM as below that XP sucks.

pentium 4 2.62 Im upgrading the ram to 1gb

it can take standerd atx ? its top mounted Im concerned about putting a modern psu in it as it looks propriatary

I was going to do windows 98 but I dont know dos and windows 98 is a bit expensive right now

Reply 3 of 17, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I need a card that is 4x compatible, Im not looking for anything high performance just something that can run old games with joy sticks and such, if I want to run games like oblivion I have my main desktop for that

Reply 4 of 17, by fitzpatr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
elderago wrote:

I need a card that is 4x compatible, Im not looking for anything high performance just something that can run old games with joy sticks and such, if I want to run games like oblivion I have my main desktop for that

Any AGP 8x card is also 4x compatible.

I'd suggest a GeForce 6600. it's a decent complement to that CPU.

MT-32 Old, CM-32L, CM-500, SC-55mkII, SC-88Pro, SC-D70, FB-01, MU2000EX
K6-III+/450/GA-5AX/G400 Max/Voodoo2 SLI/CT1750/MPU-401AT/Audigy 2ZS
486 Build

Reply 5 of 17, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
fitzpatr wrote:
elderago wrote:

Any AGP 8x card is also 4x compatible.

I'd suggest a GeForce 6600. it's a decent complement to that CPU.

I didnt know that I thought only 4x agp slot werent compatbile with 8x unless it was a hybrid

I found a power supply thats rated for about 430 would that work ? apperantly the current one is 230

Reply 6 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ratings on power supplies mean nothing unless it is a good brand. What brand is that 430 you are looking at?

The 4550 uses a standard ATX power supply. The cables on the Dell one are just really short.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 17, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

Ratings on power supplies mean nothing unless it is a good brand. What brand is that 430 you are looking at?

The 4550 uses a standard ATX power supply. The cables on the Dell one are just really short.

I was looking at thishttps://www.cputopia.com/products/hp-400w-del … AyABEgKq2_D_BwE

I suppose if any atx power supply will work Ill just get an 80 plus bronze

Last edited by elderago on 2018-09-06, 05:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I wouldn't touch that power supply with a 10-foot pole.

Seasonic is my go-to brand.

It used to be Antec, but they had crappy capacitor issues back when I was using them.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 9 of 17, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

Yeah, I wouldn't touch that power supply with a 10-foot pole.

Seasonic is my go-to brand.

It used to be Antec, but they had crappy capacitor issues back when I was using them.

fair enough I was looking for something comparable, with a back fan, Iwas concerned the power supply would over heat since to psu sits on top of the case, but after looking at it I realized the psu was just screwed in and a new power supply would be fine
Found this one look compatible AND comes with a floppy connectorhttps://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?I … wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Reply 10 of 17, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That one should be fine.

I generally buy used or NOS ones off of eBay. A lot cheaper that way.
But modular is really nice to have.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 17, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had similar MSI GeForce 4: mx440 in 2002 costed around 50-70€ it didn't play GTA III=3 well at all. Geforce 4 don't have directx9 !
- So I had to upgrade it to MSI GeForce 5: FX5600 in 2003 under 150€. Much better.

My museum piece 2006-era computer has AGP Sapphire HD3650 that I bought for 10€ in 2017.
- It can do HD resolution games and is a lot better than those older cards ever were.
Still it can't handle Unreal Tournament 3 2008 at FullHD.

Reply 12 of 17, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
user33331 wrote:
I had similar MSI GeForce 4: mx440 in 2002 costed around 50-70€ it didn't play GTA III=3 well at all. Geforce 4 don't have direc […]
Show full quote

I had similar MSI GeForce 4: mx440 in 2002 costed around 50-70€ it didn't play GTA III=3 well at all. Geforce 4 don't have directx9 !
- So I had to upgrade it to MSI GeForce 5: FX5600 in 2003 under 150€. Much better.

My museum piece 2006-era computer has AGP Sapphire HD3650 that I bought for 10€ in 2017.
- It can do HD resolution games and is a lot better than those older cards ever were.
Still it can't handle Unreal Tournament 3 2008 at FullHD.

yeah Im being realistic I dont want to play high end games on that computer, I have my main computer for that (core i5 4670k gtx 1070ti 16 gb of ram)

I just want to play older games on it, like arcanum, star wars pod racer system shock 2 etc without weird resolution issues (those games look weird on a 27 inch 2560x1440p monitor). and also be able to use joy sticks and such

Reply 13 of 17, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can easily play FullHD games made under 2010 on AGP if a high end ATI HD3xxx- or HD4xxx-series is bought.
Even my cheap low end HD3650 card can play HD quality 3D games from 2005-era.

For pure power I would only buy best 2007 HD3xxx- or 2008 HD4xxx AGP.
Put they cost premium 70-150euros at ebay.

Reply 14 of 17, by elderago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
user33331 wrote:
You can easily play FullHD games made under 2010 on AGP if a high end ATI HD3xxx- or HD4xxx-series is bought. Even my cheap low […]
Show full quote

You can easily play FullHD games made under 2010 on AGP if a high end ATI HD3xxx- or HD4xxx-series is bought.
Even my cheap low end HD3650 card can play HD quality 3D games from 2005-era.

For pure power I would only buy best 2007 HD3xxx- or 2008 HD4xxx AGP.
Put they cost premium 70-150euros at ebay.

Im actuallyuy looking to use it to play games from 2005 and before. I am using gog games as they are drm free and I can easily load them onto a usb drive and install them onto the computer, I do plan on buying some physical copies though.

Reply 15 of 17, by user33331

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a similar idea. Ultimately I ended up playing reproduced .GOG games with my "modern" computer.
- Since GOG-games work on Win7,10 and any modern resolution all you need is max.power.
- I think no pre 2010 machines provide enough power for perfect 3D game GOG-experience.

I tried Carmageddon GOG-FullHD all settings high (Repro 1997 game)
- With my 2011+ build and it still had some little performance issues.
AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz Black
Gigabyte HD5870 1GB
RAM 8GB

For me to build a senseful retro gaming PC it only makes sense to build a Win98 machine or lower. Win:XP, 7, 10 builds are all the same.

Reply 16 of 17, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It sounds like you just need to find patches or fixes for the games you want to play so they can work on your main desktop. You might be building a machine for no real reason.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 17 of 17, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elderago wrote:

I suppose if any atx power supply will work Ill just get an 80 plus bronze

If you havent already bought that Seasonic and want to save $30 Id suggest the EVGA 430watt. It received pretty good reviews from Johnny Guru and has been my go to cheap psu. Usually $30 on Newegg

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1