What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby bjwil1991 » 2018-9-13 @ 21:14

oeuvre wrote:Image
Great! You won an Intel i386 DX CPU!
C64, WheelWriter 10 Series II QuietWriter 8, Pack-Mate 28 Plus, K6-2/300, Pavilion N3350, iMac G3 & G4, Socket 370, 2x Inspiron 600m, Athlon 64, Dimension 4550 & E510, ThinkPad R40, Presario C700, ASUS X54C, Raspberry Pi B+, 2B-3B+, Custom FX-6300
User avatar
bjwil1991
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1855
Joined: 2013-8-14 @ 03:10
Location: SE, MI USA

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby brostenen » 2018-9-13 @ 21:30

I got this in the mail yesterday:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nuovo-con-Licenza-Doppio-Kickstart-Rom-1-3-3-1-Amiga-500-600-2000-Switch-567/123236445791?hash=item1cb176ee5f:g:qj8AAOSwBARbP9B3

And tested it out today. It is working flawless in my Amiga500 Rev. 8a.1 as well as my Amiga600 Rev. 1.5
So I registered the dual kickrom to my name, and are thinking about, if it shall run in my 500 or 600.
If it is going into my Amiga500, then I will buy a second one for my 600.
The plan right now, is to use my kickstart 2.0 version 37.350 in my 500 for the 4gb HDD capeability.
Then I will have an original 1.3 and an original 2.0 (37.300) for future projects.

Or I will source an oldschool dual kickstart switcher with room for 2 rom chips.
That way, I can have 1.3 and 2.0 on my Amiga 500.
Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick I tell.... (never tried though)

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011
User avatar
brostenen
l33t
 
Posts: 4639
Joined: 2014-5-07 @ 21:13
Location: Northern Jutland, Denmark.

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby brostenen » 2018-9-13 @ 21:34

oeuvre wrote:Last night I streamed The Magic School Bus Explores the Ocean on Twitch. I cheated and used 86box.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alDJGJdTPnI


What exactly are this Twitch thingy? For what I know, it is some kind of chat roulette.
Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick I tell.... (never tried though)

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011
User avatar
brostenen
l33t
 
Posts: 4639
Joined: 2014-5-07 @ 21:13
Location: Northern Jutland, Denmark.

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby bjwil1991 » 2018-9-13 @ 21:35

brostenen wrote:
oeuvre wrote:Last night I streamed The Magic School Bus Explores the Ocean on Twitch. I cheated and used 86box.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alDJGJdTPnI


What exactly are this Twitch thingy? For what I know, it is some kind of chat roulette.

It's a live streaming audio and video service that some YouTubers are using since YouTube deletes the live videos after the session is over, and chats are permitted on there as well.
C64, WheelWriter 10 Series II QuietWriter 8, Pack-Mate 28 Plus, K6-2/300, Pavilion N3350, iMac G3 & G4, Socket 370, 2x Inspiron 600m, Athlon 64, Dimension 4550 & E510, ThinkPad R40, Presario C700, ASUS X54C, Raspberry Pi B+, 2B-3B+, Custom FX-6300
User avatar
bjwil1991
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1855
Joined: 2013-8-14 @ 03:10
Location: SE, MI USA

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby brostenen » 2018-9-13 @ 22:31

bjwil1991 wrote:
brostenen wrote:
oeuvre wrote:Last night I streamed The Magic School Bus Explores the Ocean on Twitch. I cheated and used 86box.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alDJGJdTPnI


What exactly are this Twitch thingy? For what I know, it is some kind of chat roulette.

It's a live streaming audio and video service that some YouTubers are using since YouTube deletes the live videos after the session is over, and chats are permitted on there as well.


Ahh... Thanks for the clearup. :-) I guess I am too old and my beard are too grey. :-D
Yeah. I don't even know how snapchat, twitter, instagram and whatsapp are working.
Never had any profile on those in my life. Though I did close my facebook account in 2014.
(resulting in some 10 or so people declaring, that they would never speak to me again)
Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick I tell.... (never tried though)

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011
User avatar
brostenen
l33t
 
Posts: 4639
Joined: 2014-5-07 @ 21:13
Location: Northern Jutland, Denmark.

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby oeuvre » 2018-9-13 @ 23:33

10 less people you need to worry about.
Dell Optiplex 745 Q6600, 8GB, AMD FirePro V3900, SSD + HD, XP/7
i7 9700K, 32GB, MSI GTX1060, NVMe SSD + HD, Windows 10
Image
User avatar
oeuvre
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1912
Joined: 2015-3-31 @ 13:31
Location: USA

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby blurks » 2018-9-14 @ 00:39

bjwil1991 wrote:It's a live streaming audio and video service that some YouTubers are using since YouTube deletes the live videos after the session is over, and chats are permitted on there as well.

I think that has changed.
User avatar
blurks
Member
 
Posts: 313
Joined: 2017-1-14 @ 21:49

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby Madc0w » 2018-9-14 @ 01:32

blurks wrote:
bjwil1991 wrote:It's a live streaming audio and video service that some YouTubers are using since YouTube deletes the live videos after the session is over, and chats are permitted on there as well.

I think that has changed.

Yeah the podcasts I watch have their videos up immediately after streaming, thats definitely not an issue.
User avatar
Madc0w
Newbie
 
Posts: 24
Joined: 2018-8-03 @ 18:57
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby cj_reha » 2018-9-14 @ 06:38

A friend recently wrote a simple game in MSX BASIC and sent me the code, so out of fun and curiosity I am attempting to port it to Atari BASIC on my 800XL. So far, I've gotten the program to run and it mostly works, however there's a few lines that are still giving me problems (mainly the level advancing prompt crashing the game). It's a fun exercise in learning BASIC, and pretty soon I'm going to take a crack at writing my own games. I'm also considering fixing my cassette drive and seeing if I could write this port to tape.
Attachments
20180913_225343.jpg
20180914_022407.jpg
20180914_023112.jpg
User avatar
cj_reha
Member
 
Posts: 498
Joined: 2016-11-03 @ 02:09
Location: Virginia, USA

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby appiah4 » 2018-9-14 @ 08:58

Wow, the ATARI 800XL, my first computer.. Hope to get one some day.
1989:A500|+512K|ACA500+|C1084S
1992:HIPPO-VL+|DX2-66|8M|GD5428|CT2290
1995:PCI597-1|P133|32M|Trio64|V1|CT3980/2M|S2
1998:S1573S|K6-2/400|64M|RagePro|V2/SLI|CT4500/32M
2001:GA-6OXT|PIII-1200|512M|GF3Ti200|MX300
2004:K8V-D|3200+|2G|X1950P|SB0350
User avatar
appiah4
l33t
 
Posts: 2435
Joined: 2017-2-19 @ 07:36

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby MMaximus » 2018-9-14 @ 10:36

liqmat wrote:286-12 DONE! Whew... that actually took way longer than I thought it would. On to the next one.

That's old Betsy running a 286 friendly demoscene demo. I have an ESS ES1868F based audio card in there along with a 256K VGA card.

286-12_restored.jpg

...


Beautiful - well done on the restoration. This builds deserves its own thread!

Not enough love on Vogons for these old systems at the moment :)
User avatar
MMaximus
Member
 
Posts: 448
Joined: 2014-3-30 @ 20:28
Location: EU

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby liqmat » 2018-9-14 @ 14:19

MMaximus wrote:
liqmat wrote:286-12 DONE! Whew... that actually took way longer than I thought it would. On to the next one.

That's old Betsy running a 286 friendly demoscene demo. I have an ESS ES1868F based audio card in there along with a 256K VGA card.

286-12_restored.jpg

...


Beautiful - well done on the restoration. This builds deserves its own thread!

Not enough love on Vogons for these old systems at the moment :)

Glad you like it. I don't need love from others to justify my hobby. It's all good. Desoldered the dead retrofitted lithium battery so the board will stay pristine. I don't know much about 286 boards since I skipped that generation so it was fun to explore. I went from 8088 to 68000 (Amiga/Atari ST) and then to 386 back in the 80s/early 90s.

I am not a collector. I just save them, restore these puppies and then try to find good homes for them where they will be appreciated. The fun for me is getting them thoroughly cleaned inside and out and back to excellent working condition. I also like learning and improving my skills in electronics. I must say my soldering skills have vastly improved over the last few years and so has my swearing. lol
Last edited by liqmat on 2018-9-14 @ 14:40, edited 3 times in total.
liqmat
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1032
Joined: 2015-7-07 @ 21:59

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby appiah4 » 2018-9-14 @ 14:32

Since I had a rather idle night yesterday, I did the cleaning, retrobrighting, repairs and restoration to original config for my Compaq Deskpro EP-DT.

Image Image

Image Image

It's not a particularly interesting system at all, just a regular i810 Pentium 3 office workhorse. When I got it (for next to nothing) it was too disgustingly filthy to even touch, reeked of cigarette smoke and had an inch of dust and in places mud all over on the inside. The original plan was to clean and sell it off, but as the dirt and grime came off I realized I came to like the thing.

It had a mostly fresh (and not original) Windows 98SE install with a few banking and farmacy applications, last used in 2005. There isn't any installed OEM bloatware but it does have crap like Norton Internet Security. I will uninstall the junk, update the drivers and move this system to my collection instead of selling it off.
1989:A500|+512K|ACA500+|C1084S
1992:HIPPO-VL+|DX2-66|8M|GD5428|CT2290
1995:PCI597-1|P133|32M|Trio64|V1|CT3980/2M|S2
1998:S1573S|K6-2/400|64M|RagePro|V2/SLI|CT4500/32M
2001:GA-6OXT|PIII-1200|512M|GF3Ti200|MX300
2004:K8V-D|3200+|2G|X1950P|SB0350
User avatar
appiah4
l33t
 
Posts: 2435
Joined: 2017-2-19 @ 07:36

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby Katmai500 » 2018-9-14 @ 15:55

I got around to testing a few motherboards I picked up over the last couple months. All are slot-based for maximum 1999 fun! :lol: I used a QDIY PC-D008 test bench (Thanks Phil for the video!), a StarTech ATXPOWER 300, and a SINTECHI SD to IDE adapter with a 64GB SanDisk Extreme in place of a hard drive.

The first was a Gigabyte GA-6BXC Rev 1.9. It has the HIP6004ACB voltage regulator, so no Coppermine support, but you can never have enough backup 440BX boards. :lol: It came in a lot of 8 as-is motherboards at a cost of around $2/each so I'm happy to have it. It needs a BIOS update to recognize Pentium III's and large hard disks, so I didn't bother booting to an OS on it this time around.
mobo_testing_ga6bxc_1.jpg


Next up was an Intel VC820 board. The failure of intel to supply a solid 133 MHz FSB platform for the Pentium III has always been fascinating to me. So this board is really exciting to play with. :cool:
mobo_testing_vc820_4.jpg

mobo_testing_vc820_2.jpg


I tested an ASUS K7M I've had lying around for years just to find out it's an HP OEM board. The non-standard I/O panel connections, lack of ISA slots, and missing DIMM slot should have been a clue. Some quick googling says it can't be flashed to the standard ASUS BIOS. Maybe I can swap the BIOS chip itself? Even if not it's a good backup. Slot A boards can be tough to come by.

Finally, a Slot A Gigabyte GA-7IX (Rev 1.1) which also came in the as-is lot I mentioned above. I was REALLY hoping this one would work. Annnnnnnd SUCCESS! Now I don't have to rely on the HP-branded ASUS K7M :-D
mobo_testing_ga7ix_4.jpg

mobo_testing_ga7ix_3.jpg
User avatar
Katmai500
Member
 
Posts: 106
Joined: 2017-10-31 @ 14:08
Location: USA

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby Katmai500 » 2018-9-14 @ 16:41

cj_reha wrote:A friend recently wrote a simple game in MSX BASIC and sent me the code, so out of fun and curiosity I am attempting to port it to Atari BASIC on my 800XL. So far, I've gotten the program to run and it mostly works, however there's a few lines that are still giving me problems (mainly the level advancing prompt crashing the game). It's a fun exercise in learning BASIC, and pretty soon I'm going to take a crack at writing my own games. I'm also considering fixing my cassette drive and seeing if I could write this port to tape.


The Crystal Pepsi is a nice touch :lol:
User avatar
Katmai500
Member
 
Posts: 106
Joined: 2017-10-31 @ 14:08
Location: USA

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby Doomn00b » 2018-9-14 @ 18:48

I've spent the day reading up on old graphics engines, game engines, utilities, the first 8086 micro-processors, DOS, and a whole host of stuff that's just making my HEAD spin! : o

Trying to learn enough to one day be able to make a source-port for a classic game, but DAMN! This is really, really complicated and hard stuff... yikes!
User avatar
Doomn00b
Newbie
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 2018-9-14 @ 14:02
Location: The Freezing north

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby Merovign » 2018-9-15 @ 01:24

liqmat wrote:Glad you like it. I don't need love from others to justify my hobby. It's all good. Desoldered the dead retrofitted lithium battery so the board will stay pristine. I don't know much about 286 boards since I skipped that generation so it was fun to explore. I went from 8088 to 68000 (Amiga/Atari ST) and then to 386 back in the 80s/early 90s.

I am not a collector. I just save them, restore these puppies and then try to find good homes for them where they will be appreciated. The fun for me is getting them thoroughly cleaned inside and out and back to excellent working condition. I also like learning and improving my skills in electronics. I must say my soldering skills have vastly improved over the last few years and so has my swearing. lol


This is almost me. I had a C64 and worked on a CP/M and a few other machines, then a 386 (which I wish I still have, though I have a few motherboards). I can't find a decent AT clone (would love a late 286 desktop) to save my life, apart from very expensive ebay machines. I used to have a Wang PC and a Compaq luggable and sold them for pittances years ago (sad).

I and I forgot the IBM System 6, but I was literally just a kid poking keys on that one, I didn't do anything with it.

I'm not an *organized* collector, this is just my train set. I "restored" some horribly dirty Mac clones and have a Kaypro IV I need to check caps on (worked last time I touched it, in beautiful condition, I actually used this specific machine first when I was about 12 years old), and a completely disassembled powermac that needs to go back together, after the eMac leaves my bench.

Again, it's my train set, it's what I do to feel like I accomplished something and keep me sane-ish. :)

P.S. The eMac had a glorious rebirth, for a few minutes. A component died then and I can start it but the logic board is not responding, so I think it's a mosfet that looks like it overheated (pretty sure that's new) and/or the "new" down converter board wasn't up to the task. Will have to replace those later, off the bench it goes!
Merovign
Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: 2018-6-25 @ 05:39

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby liqmat » 2018-9-15 @ 02:14

Merovign wrote:
liqmat wrote:Glad you like it. I don't need love from others to justify my hobby. It's all good. Desoldered the dead retrofitted lithium battery so the board will stay pristine. I don't know much about 286 boards since I skipped that generation so it was fun to explore. I went from 8088 to 68000 (Amiga/Atari ST) and then to 386 back in the 80s/early 90s.

I am not a collector. I just save them, restore these puppies and then try to find good homes for them where they will be appreciated. The fun for me is getting them thoroughly cleaned inside and out and back to excellent working condition. I also like learning and improving my skills in electronics. I must say my soldering skills have vastly improved over the last few years and so has my swearing. lol


This is almost me. I had a C64 and worked on a CP/M and a few other machines, then a 386 (which I wish I still have, though I have a few motherboards). I can't find a decent AT clone (would love a late 286 desktop) to save my life, apart from very expensive ebay machines. I used to have a Wang PC and a Compaq luggable and sold them for pittances years ago (sad).

I and I forgot the IBM System 6, but I was literally just a kid poking keys on that one, I didn't do anything with it.

I'm not an *organized* collector, this is just my train set. I "restored" some horribly dirty Mac clones and have a Kaypro IV I need to check caps on (worked last time I touched it, in beautiful condition, I actually used this specific machine first when I was about 12 years old), and a completely disassembled powermac that needs to go back together, after the eMac leaves my bench.

Again, it's my train set, it's what I do to feel like I accomplished something and keep me sane-ish. :)

P.S. The eMac had a glorious rebirth, for a few minutes. A component died then and I can start it but the logic board is not responding, so I think it's a mosfet that looks like it overheated (pretty sure that's new) and/or the "new" down converter board wasn't up to the task. Will have to replace those later, off the bench it goes!

There are plenty of machines I regret selling and it's part of the love, hate relationship I have with this hobby. I also restored a Kaypro 4 and their floppy drives can be a challenge sometimes. Here's a pic when I was done:

Kaypro 4.jpg

I must say, though, Commodore PET machines I mostly want to avoid as they can be a real pain in the brain from what I have been reading over at vcfed.org. An example:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.p ... don-t-work
Last edited by liqmat on 2018-9-15 @ 03:17, edited 1 time in total.
liqmat
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1032
Joined: 2015-7-07 @ 21:59

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby probnot » 2018-9-15 @ 02:26

Decided to boot up the hard drive that came with my k6/2-300 "free day" find.

Image

And, look at that time machine!

Image
User avatar
probnot
Member
 
Posts: 274
Joined: 2017-1-08 @ 01:59
Location: Canada

Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

Postby Merovign » 2018-9-15 @ 06:21

liqmat wrote:There are plenty of machines I regret selling and it's part of the love, hate relationship I have with this hobby. I also restored a Kaypro 4 and their floppy drives can be a challenge sometimes. Here's a pic when I was done:

I must say, though, Commodore PET machines I mostly want to avoid as they can be a real pain in the brain from what I have been reading over at vcfed.org. An example:


I am lucky to have areas I'm not even interested in, like the PET, and therefore I can safely walk past them (not that any ever show up around here).

But here's a small hint of something going on my bench shortly, which is pretty mint and worked perfectly the last time I ran it, inlcuding both drives:

Kaypro_Tease.jpg


As I mentioned, I used this very system as early as 1984. Often I'm not that nostalgic, but in this case I am. I want to at least examine the caps before starting it again, though.
Merovign
Member
 
Posts: 144
Joined: 2018-6-25 @ 05:39

PreviousNext

Return to General Old Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anonymous Coward, Shagittarius and 13 guests