VOGONS

First post, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm having trouble figuring out which board I have will work out Is there a resource online that has a compiled list of all 486 CPUs that includes things like Socket Type, Vcore, FSB, Cache Type/Size for all 486 CPUs. Does anyone know of one? I know CPU-World and Wikichip has this info scattered across their site but it' s mind boggling that they have not compiled it into a summary chart of sorts. 😢

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 1 of 4, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

that includes things like Socket Type

I doubt you would want to use socket 1 board. Socket 2 is Pentium Overdrive ready and Socket 3 added optional 3.3-4v support.

'm having trouble figuring out which board I have will work out

Socket 3 board with voltage regulator will work with everything. Simple.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 4, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote:

that includes things like Socket Type

I doubt you would want to use socket 1 board. Socket 2 is Pentium Overdrive ready and Socket 3 added optional 3.3-4v support.

To be honest I don't know why you would think I wouldn't want to use a Socket 1 or even a Socket 486/Overdrive board. I have such boards and do use them.

'm having trouble figuring out which board I have will work out

Obviously, but that doesn't change the fact that Socket 486 or Socket 1/2 won't work with everything.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3 of 4, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Even if it is a Socket 3 with a voltage regulator, some of your last 486 based CPU's (like your AMD 5x86, Cyrix 5x86 and your later Write Back L1 cache CPU's) do also sometimes require a BIOS update in order for the motherboard to properly support those CPU's.

I've found that most PCI based 486 motherboards supports all of the above. With VLB, some later models did provide BIOS updates to support the above mentioned CPU's.
An example is your Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4.

Reply 4 of 4, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

I've heard of many newer boards (and even a lot of older boards) having trouble running the 486SX-16 due to a lack of proper settings to run at a 16MHz bus speed. They typically bottom out at 25MHz and simply will not go any lower, short of physically modding the board. On the other hand, the 486SX-16 is so exceedingly rare that this is pretty much a non-issue, unless you're on a mission to collect and run every single class of 486 CPU that ever existed.