VOGONS

First post, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a super socket 7 retro pc with Soyo SY-5EHM motherboard and K6-III+. I have had voodoo 3 2000 in agp slot and voodoo 2 card there for about half a year now. I also have a second voodoo 2 card that is identical to the one in the super socket 7 system. Basically my problem is that when using that motherboard the cpu cooler blocks almost all the pci slot preventing me from putting long pci cards like those voodoo 2 cards in them. Only pci slot right next to the agp slot allows long a long pci card and problem with this is that I think the voodoo 3 2000 card would be happier if it had a cooling fan, but I can't put it there because there is a voodoo 2 card right next to it.

My only other system where I could put voodoo 2 pci cards is an Athlon 64 socket 939 system. Would there be any problems if I would put both my voodoo2 cards as SLI to much newer system like that? Would I still be able to play even dos glide games?

Reply 1 of 4, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wouldn't anticipate problems, although the RoI wouldn't be great. As mentioned elsewhere, a S939 Athlon64 can deliver vastly more performance through Glide emulation than any native 3dfx card.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 2 of 4, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Install the FastVoodoo2 v4.6 drivers since the older drivers were pretty messy on systems faster than a Pentium/MMX/Pro and the VooDoo2 Tweak software to underclock your VooDoo2 card(s) since they can run hot. I have one installed inside my Socket 462 motherboard and it works without issues.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 3 of 4, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One thing I noticed with my athlon 64 pc is that it has much less conventional memory available in dos compared to older PCs because alot of the HMA is in use for probably some bios features. Also the pci yamaha sound card needs DSDMA so I also need emm386 loaded. I just hope that doesn't cause any problems with any of the dos 3dfx games. Anyone has any experience with that?

Reply 4 of 4, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Baoran wrote:

One thing I noticed with my athlon 64 pc is that it has much less conventional memory available in dos compared to older PCs because alot of the HMA is in use for probably some bios features. Also the pci yamaha sound card needs DSDMA so I also need emm386 loaded.

You should disable AHCI/Raid mode of your SATA controllers in your BIOS and set IDE mode instead. AMD's AHCI/Raid BIOS extensions are usually the main reason for low conventional memory in DOS and can cause EMM386/EMS emulation to not work at all (not enough continuous space for EMS page frame).

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper