VOGONS

First post, by alienmannequin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, multi-year lurker/retro builder, first time poster.

I've spent the last few weeks refurbishing a 386 board - battery explosion or leak.

Although the traces look substandard and still somehow affected, the board boots and runs all day in the bios. I will continue to attempt to clean with white vinegar - I've been brushing it with brushes, a toothbrush, cotton swabs etc etc however there even appears to be some rust below so I'm considering covering it with mask and calling it a day.

28s1vee.jpg

I've decided to keep the battery original and have ordered a Varta 3.6v . I don't have an external battery header.

However, I don't want to solder it directly to the board. Is it possible to solder a wire to each of the points, then to the legs of the battery, which I'd then encase in plastic and mount in the case?

If so, do I have to use a certain type/gauge wire? Do I have to insulate the solder points?

Thanks in advance

Reply 1 of 6, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yeah I have done this on my 486 board, didn't use any special wire just normal kind of wire.

have look in this thread page 2
Help identify this 486 opti motherboard

I didn't do anything special at all, soldered battery to wires and sticky tape battery to back of the case away from any wires, for me its a temporary solution which has been more of a medium term-long term fix until one day I bother to get a external battery

Reply 2 of 6, by alienmannequin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
treeman wrote:
yeah I have done this on my 486 board, didn't use any special wire just normal kind of wire. […]
Show full quote

yeah I have done this on my 486 board, didn't use any special wire just normal kind of wire.

have look in this thread page 2
Help identify this 486 opti motherboard

I didn't do anything special at all, soldered battery to wires and sticky tape battery to back of the case away from any wires, for me its a temporary solution which has been more of a medium term-long term fix until one day I bother to get a external battery

Wow, thanks for the quick response. Your thread is fantastic and I am in a very similar position. My keyboard connector took some corrosion but I don't think I'll need to replace it - still works fine and most of it is gone too. Can I ask what you used to scrape the corrosion off? Paintbrush/toothbrush/even plastic fork are too squishy, butter knife is too hard.

I'll update the thread with my bodge job + battery case - I might just use electrical tape + speaker wire. Cheers

Reply 3 of 6, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used one of these cleaning little rugs that come with sunglasses along with a long plastic spulger tool for hard to reach places, can wrap the wipe around the spulger and use it to wipe, nothing fancy or professional but works for me

41rtsiQOizL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Reply 4 of 6, by alienmannequin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Awesome, thank you. I'll see what the local hardware store has - plastic seems to be the way to go.

Addendum, when I plug the video card into any of the first three ISA slots, the machine appears to either reboot or freeze during POST or in the BIOS - I guess I have not managed to successfully clean the ISA slots. Is there any way to do this safely? I've tried a credit card with a rag + isopropyl, white vinegar flush, etc but I think the corrosion might be under the slot itself.

Reply 5 of 6, by alienmannequin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, I cleaned up and soldered two old GPU fan wires in place. I heatshrunk the length of them with the intention of running the battery as far away from the mainboard as possible 😊.

29njpex.jpg

293gahy.jpg

Reply 6 of 6, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

looks good, that looks definitely like a safe length 😀

I was looking at your original picture and two of the traces going from the keyboard connector right past c11 look pretty corroded you may have to jump wire around it if the acid got too deep to clean.

As for the isa its hard to say it could be inside the slot or a trace or resistors around the slot that got damage somwhere.

I have these cheap Chinese jewellers glasses from ebay but they work quiet good, it takes time but I scan the whole area visually with them, alot of the time you notice stuff that is obvious damage that looks ok with naked eye.
Even taking pictures with a good camera on high magnification is good way to get a second opinion vs your normal eye vision

Oh yes also I found that soldering to the barrel battery terminals is a bit harder then usual, may need a little extra flux to make it hold