VOGONS

First post, by hydroksyde

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm currently working on a 486 build... but this one problem has me tearing my hair out, and nothing I've tried seems to change anything

Whenever I have an SB16 type ISA sound card installed alongside a VLB video card, I get palette corruption when sounds play, as these youtube videos show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLPUjsNdQzA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lau6JrPBeI

It seems to happen with any SB16-like card - I've tried with a Sound Blaster Vibra16s (CT2900), and a Terratec Base1

The only way to fix this is to disable sound in the game (MIDI music is no problem though), use an ISA video card, or use a different motherboard. The board I'm using is a Mitac PH4500AU with a UMC 881 chipset.

I've tried with an Intel 486DX2, as well as an AMD 5x86-133. I've tried both parity fast page memory and non-parity EDO, and I've tried disabling the cache and fiddling with many different jumpers/bios settings and retesting. I have also tried changing IO address, IRQ, and DMA on the sound card but nothing seems to work!

I'm running MS-DOS 7.10. Windows 95B is installed but doesn't load automatically, and it seems to make no difference whether this is done in pure dos mode or from inside windows.

Does anybody have any clue what this problem could be, and where I might start looking?

Reply 1 of 5, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have video shadow and/or palette snoop options in your BIOS? Try disabling both. Are you able to apply more modest memory timings if possible? See if that makes a difference. I wonder if it's some kind of memory corruption by DMA transfers.

YouTube

Reply 2 of 5, by hydroksyde

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply! I disabled video shadow, there is no palette snoop option. The highest figures are the most conservative aren't they? Changing these options seems to reduce the instance of it occurring somewhat, but that may be due to race conditions, since changing the system clock speed or disabling cache can have the same effect.

Reply 3 of 5, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure what things you can set but often higher numbers = slower when it comes to RAM. But I understand it doesn't make much of a difference. Do you have another VLB card you can test with and which card are you currently using?

YouTube

Reply 4 of 5, by hydroksyde

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried both cirrus logic and S3 cards, and both have the same results. The problem goes away with an ISA svga card.

Have tried both VLB jumpers (1WS and >33Mhz), but neither make any difference

Reply 5 of 5, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm afraid it's the infamous VLB instablility, seeing you already swapped cards and tried different settings. Can you move the VLB card as close as possible to the CPU and the soundcard as far away as possible to see if that has any effect? Hopefully one of the VLB experts on Vogons can advise you more.

YouTube