VOGONS

First post, by Rodoko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the reality with this question is that my motherboard (An Abit NF7) is complaining about the absence of a -5V rail in the PSU (on the Windows based monitor) which is a higher quality one .-. so my question is

Is the -5v really important on those kind of systems or what??

For now I will be using that PSU or I might install a POS Sunshine PSU I have lying around

IMG_20181108_124741741.jpg
Filename
IMG_20181108_124741741.jpg
File size
1.61 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

What do you people think??

Reply 1 of 5, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, it's not important. And since it's a 12v rail CPU motherboard, just use some modern PSU, not 15+ years junk.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hipro is ok, pretty much a mid tier OEM. YMMV, check your capacitors on old electronics, etc.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Odd that a board without ISA would even give a beep about -5V...

Anyway, agreed with The Serpent Rider, this last great Abit board is partly so great because it deviates from AMD spec to draw VCore from the 12V line, so is much more efficient than regular 5V-heavy monsters. And can work with a new PSU too. That said, a good old PSU can be as good as - or better than - a mediocre new one, and HiPro isn't too bad. I'd only replace it with a new one if you can and want to afford a good ±350W Gold-rated PSU from a decent brand, which would probably set you back at least EUR 60.

Reply 4 of 5, by Rodoko

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote:

No, it's not important. And since it's a 12v rail CPU motherboard, just use some modern PSU, not 15+ years junk.

All of the newer and best PSU's are so expensive for a typical Argie like me, remember, our country is in a financial crisis so this means that everything computer-related has no value at all (Ex. a nice Corsair PSU is around AR$ 2,5k to 3k)

gdjacobs wrote:

Hipro is ok, pretty much a mid tier OEM. YMMV, check your capacitors on old electronics, etc.

I checked it inside just for curiosity and all the caps seem fine but they worry me since I can't believe that a well known company uses crappy caps for a mid/high end PSU for OEM use and according to the parts store vendor, the PSU came out of an HP computer

dionb wrote:

Odd that a board without ISA would even give a beep about -5V...

Anyway, agreed with The Serpent Rider, this last great Abit board is partly so great because it deviates from AMD spec to draw VCore from the 12V line, so is much more efficient than regular 5V-heavy monsters. And can work with a new PSU too. That said, a good old PSU can be as good as - or better than - a mediocre new one, and HiPro isn't too bad. I'd only replace it with a new one if you can and want to afford a good ±350W Gold-rated PSU from a decent brand, which would probably set you back at least EUR 60.

Sadly I'm South-American, I don't live in Europe and that tag price for a PSU makes me cry so much, because as I said on the response to the Serpent Rider, everything is hard and expensive to afford, and also I would love to get out of this country ;.;

Reply 5 of 5, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Rodoko wrote:
gdjacobs wrote:

I checked it inside just for curiosity and all the caps seem fine but they worry me since I can't believe that a well known company uses crappy caps for a mid/high end PSU for OEM use and according to the parts store vendor, the PSU came out of an HP computer

Even top flight vendors like Delta sometimes use lower tier caps. I wouldn't worry about it as usually the design requirements will be appropriate for the caps selected and circuit protection is complete anyway. We're not talking about PSUs where the Power OK pin is hard jumpered on.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder