VOGONS

First post, by Xeen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I recently bought an Arctic-Cooling Alpine 64 PLUS for my Athlon build, but all I got is black screen after booting (fired up, but won't post). 😒

When I put the old cooler back then everything works fine. I did followed the instruction and screwed both side evenly...

The motherboard is ASUS A8R32-MVP DELUXE, could it be the issues of new cooler and heat sink bracket (the black octagon plastic)?

Please help!!

Reply 1 of 18, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Only way a cooler is connected to the rest of the pc is the fan connector to the motherboard. If the fan isn't connected incorrectly to the motherboard I can't think of any other reason except if the cooler is much heavier than the old one and causes some stress to the motherboard and that would bring up some fault that is already on the motherboard.

Reply 2 of 18, by Xeen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Baoran wrote:

Only way a cooler is connected to the rest of the pc is the fan connector to the motherboard. If the fan isn't connected incorrectly to the motherboard I can't think of any other reason except if the cooler is much heavier than the old one and causes some stress to the motherboard and that would bring up some fault that is already on the motherboard.

Thanks for the reply, new cooler has 4 pin connector and it can be used on the 3 pins plug as well (motherboard supports 3 pin plug)

I also tried to connect the old cooler to the CPU fan plug so that the motherboard can read fan speed while connecting the new cooler to the case fan plug, but that trick doesn't work... 😠

I feel it got overheat or something because the power is auto shut off after couple minutes, but when I remove the new cooler the thermal past is covering the surface of CPU.

The motherboard is still sitting on the test bench so the weight of the cooler is not a problem for the time being.

There is a thread and webpage talked about heat sink installation issue of ASUS motherboard http://newcpuinstalledissue.daemoncms.com/ could it be the cause?

Reply 4 of 18, by Xeen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

post pics please

Will do, thanks!

edit:
While I’m looking for the place to upload the pics, I think I figured it out.

CPU got overheated, in BIOS the temperature comes all the way up to over 74 degrees!

It seems the new cooler can’t handle the heat, but according to the spec it can handle max 100 TDP?

Reply 5 of 18, by Xeen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here comes the pics.

The old copper & pipe cooler really does a good job. It keeps the temperature 54~55 degrees in BIOS hardware monitor.

Conclusion, I have one more good looking paperweight now. 😐

New cooler - Arctic-Cooling Alpine 64 PLUS
Fan speed - 2000-2200
vyRyRZVm.jpg

Old cooler - unknown
Fan speed - 3000-4500
EKBaLGRm.jpg

Reply 6 of 18, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was a recent topic on this. Here is what I ended up using: Re: Socket 939 FX-60/Opteron 185 cooler recommendation for 110W TDP

I used it for a few weeks. Then I put in an AM2 CPU upgrade card and the heatsink wouldn't fit any longer. That Zalman was amazing.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 7 of 18, by Xeen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feipoa wrote:

There was a recent topic on this. Here is what I ended up using: Re: Socket 939 FX-60/Opteron 185 cooler recommendation for 110W TDP

I used it for a few weeks. Then I put in an AM2 CPU upgrade card and the heatsink wouldn't fit any longer. That Zalman was amazing.

Thanks for the info, is it Zalman CNPS9700 LED?

It's a pity it can't fit anymore, what's the cooler you use and is AM2 CPU really worth the upgrade?

Reply 8 of 18, by SW-SSG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xeen wrote:

CPU got overheated, in BIOS the temperature comes all the way up to over 74 degrees!

It seems the new cooler can’t handle the heat, but according to the spec it can handle max 100 TDP?

So... you got the MB to POST with the new HSF after all? If so, what exactly did you do?

Also, that "unknown" heatpipe cooler would be one of the AMD stock coolers (included in the cardboard box with CPU) from the Athlon 64 X2 days.

Reply 9 of 18, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

w/Opteron 185, I picked up a new Zalman CNPS9500A Ultra Quiet CPO Cooler. It is recorded within the text body of the thread I mentioned. My hot CPU stayed cool even after 15 minutes of full load after that pure copper Zalman cooler was installed.

Well, I am now using an AM2 Athlon 64 X2 6400+, so 3200 MHz. The Opteron 185 I had ran at only 2600 MHz. The TDP between the two are similar, 110 W vs. 125 W. The AM2 does feel a bit faster, most noticeably on booting. I'm not sure if it is just due to the freq. difference, or the technology.

Because of the mounting of the AM2's CPU card, I am now using an FX-8100 cooler. https://www.ebay.com/itm/302870552783 It has this annoying feature that ramps up/down CPU speed based on CPU temperature, irrespective of using the 4th CPU power pin or not. It can get damn loud, so I had to use a voltage trimmer to allow for a max voltage of around 7 V. In which case, the max speed has a tolerable noise. It works well enough, but I'd like a non-AMD CPU cooler, but due to the profile of the CPU-card, finding one may be stressful.

Reply 10 of 18, by Xeen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SW-SSG wrote:
Xeen wrote:

So... you got the MB to POST with the new HSF after all? If so, what exactly did you do?

Also, that "unknown" heatpipe cooler would be one of the AMD stock coolers (included in the cardboard box with CPU) from the Athlon 64 X2 days.

I let everything cool down then clean and reapply thermal paste, but I think it didn't POST previously was because CPU is still too hot and new cooler can't take heat away in time.

I also guess it's AMD stock cooler, but seller told me it's not original plus there no AMD sticker on it. Thanks for the into. 😀

udRQyyXm.jpg

Reply 11 of 18, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yeah, looks like an AMD stock cooler. Many of them have no branding out of the box, half the AMD stock coolers I have have no sticker, the rest have one on the fan.

BTW, the fan is replaceable. It is a standard either 60mm or 80mm fan.

Reply 12 of 18, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The fan in my AMD FX cooler (photo in above eBay link) is 70 mm square x 20 mm tall. Not the most common size. Has this size become standard these days?

Reply 14 of 18, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For a 3-wire fan (2-wire has a lot more options), this seems to be the least noisy on digikey: https://www.digikey.ca/products/en?keywords=AFB0712HB-F00

70x70x15
Its still 34.5 dBa though.

The quietest 20 mm is 40.5 dBa
https://www.digikey.ca/products/en?keywords=AFB0712HHD-R00

Do these numbers seem a bit on the loud side? They aren't cheap either, $20 CAD.

Reply 16 of 18, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

around the 35 dBa mark seems to be normal for those. I found one that is at 21dBa, the Spire Orion 70mm x 15mm with sleeve bearing. Not sure if that one is useful for CPU cooling since the air flow is a bit lower than average.

Personally I consider fans above 25 dBa as too loud.

Reply 18 of 18, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That Gelid fan looks nice. They could probably get some extra cooling if they went to 20 mm for the depth. FN-SX07-22, MSRP = $5. Amazon.com wants $11. newegg.ca wants $15. $5 shipping. The $5 fan becomes $20.