VOGONS

First post, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hi all

what be the best cpu cooler + heatsink for socket 478 p4 @ 2.8ghz other than the stock intel cooler

cant go too big, cause it is a smaller size case (will measure it)

would it be possible to bring the temp down a fair bit
so it will never go over 60 degree

i dont care about noise, care more about performance and prefer noise, so i can hear it if something goes wrong

Last edited by Robhalfordfan on 2018-11-22, 10:58. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thermaltake Big Typhoon. The Big Typhoon VX is the same exact cooler but with a somewhat better fan but doesn't list S478 even though the stock mounting hardware is exactly the same.

Requires a motherboard with cooler mounting holes.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?I … N82E16835106061

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 14, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mugen 2

157143230295.png

Reply 3 of 14, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote:

Thermaltake Big Typhoon. The Big Typhoon VX is the same exact cooler but with a somewhat better fan but doesn't list S478 even though the stock mounting hardware is exactly the same.

the link takes me to item not found on website

Reply 4 of 14, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
agent_x007 wrote:

Mugen 2

never heard of that brand before

Reply 5 of 14, by voodoo5_6k

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Robhalfordfan wrote:
agent_x007 wrote:

Mugen 2

never heard of that brand before

Mugen 2 is a model, not a brand. The brand is Scythe.

This is the latest model with Socket 478 support: Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B

I use one of these on my P4 3.4EE (system #3 in my signature) and I think it's a great heat sink, keeping any P4 pretty cool (no big deal actually as it is rated for socket 1366 TDP).

END OF LINE.

Reply 6 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robhalfordfan wrote:
cyclone3d wrote:

the link takes me to item not found on website

Weird.. I just tried again and it worked fine for me. It isnt available to buy new anymore.. just figured the old Newegg page would work for showing it. Anyway, here is an old review of the VX varient.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/2248/2

The Scythe Mugen 2 should be just as good if not better. The trick is getting either at a good price.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did a fair bit of research on this few years ago and also went with a Mugen 2, always in the top 5 results and still somewhat easily found, Even got a spare off freecycle last December 😀
case size may be a problem though 🙁

Reply 8 of 14, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

I did a fair bit of research on this few years ago and also went with a Mugen 2, always in the top 5 results and still somewhat easily found, Even got a spare off freecycle last December 😀
case size may be a problem though 🙁

yeah will need to measure the inside of case and length so it doesn't block in any ram slots or hit the psu (which is top mounted)

Reply 9 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Had to rotate mine 90 degrees for the ram so its not optimal but still plenty enough for me
Inside.jpg

You can see the temps for my 3.40 Prescott in this post
P4P800 End of Win98 Support Build

Reply 10 of 14, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

think for case for this build is half the size of your case

Reply 11 of 14, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not sure how they would cope with a Prescott (if at all) in a small enclosure, but for Northwoods I always liked the Scythe Shuriken / Shuriken Rev B or the earlier versions of the BIG Shuriken

Reply 12 of 14, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

had a measure of my case - it should just fit

if Scythe Mugen 2 is overkill. is there a cooler like that but smaller size

Reply 13 of 14, by nekurahoka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For a p4, get something with a copper heatsink and a quiet fan. I've had a thermaltake spark 7 since the era and updated it a couple years ago with a fan built for quiet operation. The p4 generates a lot of heat, but there's no reason to put up with overblown fan noise.

Dell Dimension XPS R400, 512MB SDRAM, Voodoo3 2000 AGP, Turtle Beach Montego, ESS Audiodrive 1869f ISA, Dreamblaster Synth S1
Dell GH192, P4 3.4 (Northwood), 4GB Dual Channel DDR, ATI Radeon x1650PRO 512MB, Audigy 2ZS, Alacritech 2000 Network Accelerator

Reply 14 of 14, by Robhalfordfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nekurahoka wrote:

For a p4, get something with a copper heatsink and a quiet fan. I've had a thermaltake spark 7 since the era and updated it a couple years ago with a fan built for quiet operation. The p4 generates a lot of heat, but there's no reason to put up with overblown fan noise.

I am nae worried about noise, cause if I can't see if anything goes wrong or stops working, then I can hear it

Always perfered performance over quietness and at lease if kept cooler for longer period, it will last longer

I seen I thermaltake spark in you tube video but can't find any