VOGONS

First post, by Aragorn

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an ancient IDE to CF adaptor i've had for 10years or more, but i decided i'd hook it up to my LS486E and have a play...

Except every single IDE cable i have has a blanked pin near the middle, whereas the IDE connector on the adaptor has all 40pins populated.

I figure easy i'll just snip it off, but then i realised the LS486E *also* has all 40 pins populated. Geh!

So i need to either find some unicorn-dust level IDE cables without the blocked pin, or modify both the adaptor and the motherboard to suit the (i assume) newer cables.

Reply 1 of 14, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's very easy to modify IDE cables that have the missing key hole. Just heat up a push pin using a match or lighter, then press it into the connector on the cable where the hole should be. Takes all of 5-10 seconds per connector.

Or, depending on how the cable was assembled, there may be a simple plug in the key hole that can be removed by simply impaling it with a pushpin at a slight angle (no head needed) then pulling it out.

Reply 3 of 14, by Fusion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've used a sharp knife in the past to rid of the plastic.

Pentium III @ 1.28Ghz - Intel SE440xBX-2 - 384MB PC100 - ATi Radeon DDR 64MB @ 200/186 - SB Live! 5.1 - Windows ME

Reply 4 of 14, by .legaCy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

(un)bending the end of a paper clip to make it straight and holding with pliers heat up the end of the paper clip with a lighter and push through the plastic and bob is your uncle.

Reply 6 of 14, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why don't you just cut the extra pin(s)? It is obviously not connected to anything and the drill trick will not be making it any more connected either 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 8 of 14, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The best way to solve this on a motherboard is to remove the pin, heat up the reverse side with a soldering iron, then just pull
on it with some thin pliers.
At least that's what I did with a PC Chips socket 7 mobo of mine, worked well.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 9 of 14, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always remove the pins on my motherboards and IO cards, then I can use the better cables and also disallow myself from connecting the cables the wrong orientation.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 12 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Baoran wrote:

It would feel wrong to remove pins from motherboards and I/O cards. It feels like they are broken then...

They're not. That pin is an NC. Doesn't do anything.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 13 of 14, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gdjacobs wrote:
Baoran wrote:

It would feel wrong to remove pins from motherboards and I/O cards. It feels like they are broken then...

They're not. That pin is an NC. Doesn't do anything.

I know it doesn't do anything, but I would still feel about it the same way as if there was a corner of a motherboard broken off that wouldn't affect any functionality. It is still visually broken even if it still works the same as ever.

Reply 14 of 14, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's possible to do a very clean job, either by gently working the pin with pliers until it shears at the base or solder sucking the through-hole and removing the pin cleanly. The only difference before and after is that the pin in question has been either trimmed or removed. The mod is also completely reversible with the aid of a donor pin.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder