VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a couple of 5 1/4 floppy drive cleaners. One of them I have used many times while testing old disks. These are getting more expensive every time I look them up. Now I'm finding that I should really get a 3.5" cleaner too.

The problem is, they say they have a very limited number of uses (usually like 20), but I would assume that this is only the case because the drive will always seek to the same spot so the crud always ends up in the same area of the disk. Obviously you don't want the crud ending up back on your drive heads, or worse, causing damage to them, so they recommend not to use the cleaner too many times.

So, is there a way around this? Has anyone ever CLEANED a floppy head cleaner? Along those same lines, is it possible to tell the drive to seek somewhere else on the disk to move the head to another area after its been used a lot? With my 5 1/4 cleaner it has a visible gray stripe at the edge where it has been used. The rest of the cleaning surface is pristine, but I don't know of any way to force the drive to move the head.

In the long term, it seems like it'd be good to find an alternative to using new old stock floppy head cleaners. Sure, its possible to open the drive and clean it with a cotton swab every time but if the crud gets stuck on there a cotton swab may not be abrasive enough, not to mention all the time spent removing and opening the drive every time it needs cleaned.

So, does anyone have any alternate methods for accomplishing this task? I come across a lot of disks and I don't mind formatting them so they can be reused, but a lot of times every other disk fouls the heads so bad that it makes testing extremely tedious. I have a Lacie USB 3.5" floppy that reads 720 and 1.44 floppies and it always works flawlessly, but when I started testing my latest batch of disks it got fouled up so fast and started acting funny (changing speed while reading, lots of errors). I used a cotton swab on the end of a small grabbing tool to clean the head through the front of the drive, but I'd rather not knock it out of alignment with all the constant prodding, so I want to figure this out once and for all. 😈

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1 of 6, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Whenever I clean a floppy drive. Then I take off the top shield, and carefully clean the heads with IPA and a cue tip. The drive mechanism (that snail driving the heads back and forth) will be oiled with one of those acid free oils. Americans call it gun oil. Europeans some times call it sewing machine oil. Lots of youtube video's about this. Just search for drive cleaning and Amiga's. It seems as there are not that many drive cleaning videos regarding pc.

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 2 of 6, by DaCiRO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For Floppy drives I use the floppy cleaner like you + compressed air at a 5 cms distance minimum but not any closer.

I do not use cotton swabs for two reasons (I hate them);
- Using a swap implies applying some level of direct force and even if this is little I have no way to know at what point of pressure I would be causing any misalignment.
- The fibers get easily hooked in any little sharp edge, the ones you see you can remove but the ones you don't see stay inside and might end up moving to somewhere where they shouldn't be dirt, specially the lense or the main axis that has grease.
What the floppy cleaner does't clean, the compressed air handles. At least in my case, used at medium force and carefully works.

Reply 3 of 6, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah I just take off the top cover which is easy to do and clean the heads with a q-tip and isopropyl alcholol.
Also oil the metal slider mechanism and eject mechanism with a small shot of WD-40. Also make sure the motor is not seized. If it is then tap the back of the motor with the head of a screw driver to knock it loose.
Make sure the motor gears spin. Also check the alignment of the motor gear.

Video
https://youtu.be/a3Vc3SdZJ2Y

Reply 4 of 6, by sv1ui

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. Just to say I killed an IBM PS2-50Z floppy disc drive by cleaning the head with a cotton bud (Q-tip) and Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA). 😵 My suggestion: Dampen a lint-free cloth with IPA, place it between the heads, and move it around to get rid of any muck. This way, you needn't pry the heads apart.

Reply 5 of 6, by astonsmith

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Along those same lines, is it possible to tell the drive to seek somewhere else on the disk to move the head to another area after its been used a lot?

ImageDisk has a mode where you can clean the head with a cleaning diskette. It moves the head along the disk, so it won't wear out a particular part of it.

Also, before I got my hands on a few real cleaning diskettes, I used to use the inner lining of 3.5" diskettes. I took the jacket from an old 5.25" diskette, opened it up flat, affixed a piece of the lining to the window and closed it up. Then voila, a makeshift cleaning diskette. Do this at your own risk though.

Reply 6 of 6, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
astonsmith wrote:

Along those same lines, is it possible to tell the drive to seek somewhere else on the disk to move the head to another area after its been used a lot?

ImageDisk has a mode where you can clean the head with a cleaning diskette. It moves the head along the disk, so it won't wear out a particular part of it.

Also, before I got my hands on a few real cleaning diskettes, I used to use the inner lining of 3.5" diskettes. I took the jacket from an old 5.25" diskette, opened it up flat, affixed a piece of the lining to the window and closed it up. Then voila, a makeshift cleaning diskette. Do this at your own risk though.

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for.

I wonder if it's feasible to make new head cleaning disks. My wife has a Brother die cutting machine so cutting out circular disks wouldn't be hard. Does anyone know what those cleaning disks are made out of?

Also is there a DOS utility that will do a thorough head cleaning like imagedisk? I'm still curious if anyone has found a way to clean a cleaning disk too.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.