VOGONS

First post, by Radar41

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello.

I'm new. I'm from Poland. Sorry my english is bad.
Ok.

I have mainboard Tomato 4DPS ver. 2.0
Two processors : Cyrix DX2-66 and AMD 486DX-40 -- I think they are working 100% OK, because AMD is new .
Two graphics card: Trident 9000-3 ISA and Gillemot Maxi Gamer Cougar PCI TNT64 -- Working 100% OK
Two Power Supply: AT 200W and ATX with Adapter (my construction) - Working 100% OK

Ok, Power ON and nothing happens. Speeker is quiet. Power Supply works ok - 12V, 5V - ok, CD-ROM - open- close, but monitor is black.

Please look that Jumper Settings. Cyrix - 5v is ok?
Reset CMOS - it does not change anything

I plan to replace:

1x Transistor SEC TIP32C
1x Capacitor 470uF/16V
3x 47uF/16
8x 10uF/25V
1x EEPROM BIOS: LX5BZ000E

but where to start ? Jumpers is ok ?

thanks

Attachments

• supply.jpg
    Filename
    supply.jpg
    File size
    466.91 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • card.jpg
    Filename
    card.jpg
    File size
    754.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • plyta3.jpg
    Filename
    plyta3.jpg
    File size
    942.51 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • plyta2.jpg
    Filename
    plyta2.jpg
    File size
    1.02 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • plyta.jpg
    Filename
    plyta.jpg
    File size
    1.25 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 22, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice board, manual is easy to find on the 'net, so please make sure your jumpers are properly set for the CPUs you are using.

Are the CPUs getting warm after a minute or so?

That transistor, if defective, could prevent your board from working with 3.x - 4 volt processors. But both your CPUs are 5 volt so they should work regardless.

I think the capacitors are ok, I've never seen defective caps on any 486 board (except for phisically broken).

The BIOS chip sure looks like an EPROM (UV-erasable), and to find its type you must peel back the sticker a little bit. LX5BZ000E seems to be a date code or something. It would help if you have some means to read its contents, check if it's not corrupted. Also, a cheap POST diagnostic card would be very useful.

I don't have any experience with this particular board, but there are some that don't start with EDO ram. Is yours FPM? Maybe start with no ram at all, speaker should give some beeps.

Edit: on a quick look, your JP28 jumpers seem to be rotated 90 degrees from what they should be. But please double-check with the manual.

Reply 2 of 22, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

but if you are trying a 66mhz and 40mhz cpu are you setting the correct fsb frequency? 66mhz should run at 2 x 33 and 40mhz at 2x20 (I think)

Reply 3 of 22, by amadeus777999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Easiest would be rechecking jumpers - always look thrice. Then maybe use a diagnose card - which if everything else has failed seems to be a must.

A handy cpu for testing is a DX50 because it mostly fires up even if the fsb is too high for a clock doubled chip. The already mentioned check for EDO vs FPM is also essential since many modern boards do not support EDO.

Reply 5 of 22, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just have to say ... that board is adorable. It's just long enough for the ISA slots!

I've never heard of Tomato. Are they relatively modern boards? As in like, industrial or just a budget brand for those that had not moved on to P-MMX by then?

Reply 6 of 22, by Radar41

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys 😀

Thank you for your interest.

So, first I checked the transistor TIP32C NPN, is work 100% ok . Next, I changed the all capacitors - work 100% ok. (470uf/16V)
I took out the electronic circuit.
BIOS is TMS JL 27C010A-15 with windows UV. Unfortunately, my programmer is too new because I have Sofi SP-8A programmer. I think I need a Willem'a programator. I work in this topic.

This configuration worked(1996 - 2005 year). This RAM memory worked with this mainboard. It is from the producer. The processor heats up after some 15 seconds. Is warm. FSB is 33Mhz. - Jumper Settings.
Mainboard without RAM - Speaker is be quiet
Mainboard without GPU - Speaker is be quiet
Jumper Settings JP28 corrected but not change.

I need new BIOS for testing. I bought a diagnostic card today (PCI, ISA diagnostic card)
If I get it, I'll let you know what happened

Edit:

I have another motherboard, but is dead. Maybe processor is wrong ? Must be Intel ? AMD - not ?

thanks, and sorry my english is bad

Attachments

• next.jpg
    Filename
    next.jpg
    File size
    702.12 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • bios.jpg
    Filename
    bios.jpg
    File size
    776.18 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 7 of 22, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's a strange programmer. Looked through the supported devices list, quite useless for vintage hardware. I'm using the TL866CS, perfect for this purpose.

Diagnostic card could prove useful for both boards, but you'll have to wait ~1 month if you ordered it from China.

I have some old board (OPTi 495sx chipset) that only starts with Intel 486 DX or DX2 CPUs, could be the same with yours. But again, on closer look, that second board is missing its BIOS chip.

SirNickity wrote:

I've never heard of Tomato. Are they relatively modern boards? As in like, industrial or just a budget brand for those that had not moved on to P-MMX by then?

I've heard quite a bit about them, mid to late 90s, but maybe they were more common around here (Eastern Europe). I think they are the same with Zida.

Reply 8 of 22, by Radar41

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
thigobr wrote:

I have this board (Rev 2.1 though) and it doesn't work with EDO memory unfortunately. It could be the culprit.

My RAM is: Infineon Portugal 8MB 72-pin EDO DRAM SIMM (KM44C1000CJ)

This memory RAM worked with this board. but I read that they must be 2 same bones and only in pairs. Solo will not work. maybe one of them is damaged. I have ordered 2 new ones, we will see.

thanks for the suggestions.

Reply 9 of 22, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did corrupt BIOS once on this motherboard by experimenting with different CPU settings and CPUs so if CPU votage/type/freq. are set correctly and CPU does get warm, BIOS corruption just might be the culprit here.

Reply 10 of 22, by Radar41

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SSTV2 wrote:

I did corrupt BIOS once on this motherboard by experimenting with different CPU settings and CPUs so if CPU votage/type/freq. are set correctly and CPU does get warm, BIOS corruption just might be the culprit here.

Do you know if it is a replacement?

Original is TMS 27C010A-15

I have from another board (k5) eeprom BIOS : ASD AE29F1008-15
I think that my TMS 27C010A-15 is damaged.

Attachments

• bios.jpg
    Filename
    bios.jpg
    File size
    87.67 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 11 of 22, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, ASD AE29F1008-15 is compatible with this motherboard. I know that, because I went the same diagnostic route, by borrowing an easy to program Flash ROM from a working motherboard.

If you can read contents off a UV EPROM, it's not damaged.

Reply 12 of 22, by Radar41

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SSTV2 wrote:

Yes, ASD AE29F1008-15 is compatible with this motherboard. I know that, because I went the same diagnostic route, by borrowing an easy to program Flash ROM from a working motherboard.

If you can read contents off a UV EPROM, it's not damaged.

I dont know becouse I dont have compatible programator. I'll go to the electronics on Monday and get the BIOS.

If I insert the FLASH system, I need to change the jumper from EEPROM to FLASH on the board ?

Reply 13 of 22, by Muppets4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A very stupid question maybe. But did you put the psu power cables in the right order? The black cables should be next to each other.

Reply 14 of 22, by SSTV2

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Radar41 wrote:

If I insert the FLASH system, I need to change the jumper from EEPROM to FLASH on the board ?

JP4 is used for Vpp pin of UV EPROM, it allows to select either 5 or 12V as programing voltage and has no use for flash memory. Always set it to 5V if you are using UV chip, else unstable systems might corrupt BIOS. For Flash memory, JP4 can be left unjumpered.

Reply 15 of 22, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Even for frash the jumper should be at 5V. 12V should only be set only for the duration of flash update IF the chip needs 12V for programming (vast majority don't and will die instantly if 12V is given to them, possibly taking the rest with it).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 16 of 22, by Radar41

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

A have new BIOS : 1.72. I have JP4 on Pins 2 & 3 closed - BIOS type select EPROM - is correct ?
I connect the power supply correctly.
Unfortunately, the mainboard still does not work. No beep without RAM , No beep without GPU. CPU is warm.

Tomorrow I should have a diagnostic card, we will see what will show

It will also load another v4.00A BIOS

Let me know what the card will show

Reply 17 of 22, by Radar41

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I have a card diagnostic and such results.

+12V - OK
-12V - OK
+5V - OK
+3,3V - nd

CLK - OK
IRDY- OK
FRAME - OK
RESET - (if button ON )- OK

On the screen only dashes. ;/

BIOS: 1.72 and 4.00A (I have a three bones - 2x EEPROM and 1 Flash).

Hmm, BIOS not started ? Hmm, What would you advise to check?

In ISA only + 12 light ON why ?

Attachments

• post2.jpg
    Filename
    post2.jpg
    File size
    95.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • post.jpg
    Filename
    post.jpg
    File size
    133.69 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 18 of 22, by quicknick

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You inserted it backwards in the ISA slot. There's a marking on it, "rear", it goes to rear of the case (where the bracket is on a normal card). Please check if the analyzer still works by plugging it in a working motherboard, because it is possible that you fried it.

Reply 19 of 22, by Radar41

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You are right. Thanks

Fortunately, it works.

In ISA:

+12V - ok
-12V - ok
+5V - ok
+3,3V - ok

CLK - OK
IRDY - not light
Frame - ok
Reset - Ok if button switch ON.

Soł.

PCI - IRDY - light on but 3,3V is light off

ISA - IRDY - light off but 3,3V is light on

Conclusions ? 😐

Attachments

• postisa.jpg
    Filename
    postisa.jpg
    File size
    88.84 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Radar41 on 2019-01-03, 18:55. Edited 2 times in total.