First post, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everyone!

I have a 286 motherboard exactly like this one:

ncqcsJz.jpg

In my case, someone also removed the NiCad battery (thank you kind sir!). However, the board is now without CMOS memory. But, if you look closely, in the top left corner of the board, next to the keyboard connector, there is an external battery connector! Yay!

I was wondering if there is anything special I would have to keep in mind with getting an external battery for this board?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Luke

Reply 1 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most motherboard's from that era requires at least a 4.5V external battery in order to keep all the CMOS settings but, you can safely go up to 6V.
This is in the case where the external battery connector has a diode to prevent charging of the batteries.
Apart from ensuring that you have enough Voltage, just check whether that external connector isn't also charging (as you don't want to connect non-chargeable batteries to such a connection). In most cases, particularly if there is only one external connector, it's non-chargeable.

You can just buy an external battery pack that takes 3x 1.5V or 4x 1.5V AA batteries.. An old CD-ROM header or PC speaker header can be soldered onto the wires of the external battery connector (unless you're lucky and it already comes with the header).

Reply 2 of 6, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By default those batteries are 3cell ni-cd batteries, that produce 3.6V in total. (1.2V/cell)

I believe those are 4.5V tolerant as well, but don't try to push it on 6V!

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 3 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Most external headers have a diode connected in series.
This will cause around a 0.7V drop in the voltage (sometimes maybe more).
If you connect a 3x 1.5V (4.5V) battery pack, you effectively start off with a supply of 3.8V, which will reduce as your batteries loose their charge.
I recall reading a post on here that the circuits were tolerant up to 6V but, if you take into account the voltage drop, you start off with a 5.3V supply.

I read a number of posts (and even in some of my 286 manuals) that recommend a 6V current on the external battery connector on older 286 & 386 motherboards.

Reply 4 of 6, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I managed to find a manual for (it seems) a very similar board and it actually says this:

J15: External Battery
Pin 1. +6V voe
Pin 2. Not Used
Pin 3. Not Used
Pin 4. Ground

minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/misc/286%2 ... Manual.pdf

Case closed I guess? 😀

Thanks guys!

Reply 5 of 6, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's quite interesting. I've been using 3.6v lithium external batteries on my old motherboards and some of them don't seem to keep the time so well - I guess there's not enough voltage even though it's sufficient to hold the CMOS settings...

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 6 of 6, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got that problem too with my 386SX and a 0.22F supercapacitor. I did install a supercap on my DX4 too, however here it's 4F big and I don't seem to have any issue so far.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative