VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a PC running DOS 6.22
I have an old 518mb IDE Conner Hard-drive.
The drive is working fine but I performed fdisk and partitioned the drive.
I then performed a format of the drive and a bad sector was found but format completed okay.
I then ran scandisk and it displays a Bad Cluster.

Is there a way to fix a Bad Cluster ?
Are there any tools available to fix this ?

Reply 1 of 8, by retardware

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am afraid, no.
Iirc, the bad sector is in a cluster, and unless the cluster size is same as sector size, the whole cluster becomes invalid.
If the drive already supports SMART, let it have a long destructive test to map out bad sectors.

Reply 2 of 8, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, a bad cluster/bad sector is a spot on the hard drive that has permanently lost the ability to hold data, most often through physical damage caused by dust, heat, physical shock, or simple loss of the ability for that spot on the surface to hold a magnetic signal due to age. Once this happens, it's there forever and cannot be fixed. The only thing that can be done is to have that cluster or sector marked as unusable, so the OS will never write anything there.

If you plan on continuing to use the drive, definitely keep an eye on it. Run ScanDisk or ChkDsk regularly to make sure the damage isn't spreading.

Reply 3 of 8, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
torindkflt wrote:

.... The only thing that can be done is to have that cluster or sector marked as unusable, so the OS will never write anything there.

And formating the drive (attention: NOT quick formatimg) does just that. So, by formating it in the first place (a normal format, not a quick one), you already did everything you can.

A 500 MB drive is actually quite old (definately not supporting SMART) and during older times (when consumer grade HDDs were 40-80MB capacity) having a few bad sectors even on a brand new drive was considered normal (HDDs was coming with bad sectors listed on their labels).

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 4 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tools such as SpinRite exist, although agree an old 500MB drive is probably fair enough to have a bad sector or 2 after all these years, run a scan over the next few weeks and if no more are detected I wouldn't worry.

Reply 5 of 8, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What does everyone think of HDAT2 from Hirens boot cd? It has a read only for bad clusters/sectors so you dont have to loose any data when OP re-scans it later though I dont know about SpinRite as ive not used it before.

Reply 6 of 8, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, It’s NOT a smart drive and Scandisk has already marked the Cluster as BAD. So it won’t be used again.
I remember my old hard drives having BAD sectors too. Luckily this drive only has 1 bad cluster.
Still has 518mb. Usable.

Reply 7 of 8, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
patch-to-repair-a-broken-hard-drive-stock-image_csp7499996[1].jpg
Filename
File size
21.43 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 8 of 8, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tayyare wrote:

So that's what this thread was for!

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC