VOGONS

First post, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an old laptop that im trying to identify for someone I dont have it with me I only have some pictures and its non functioning so I cant get into the bios, it does have a switch for 6, 8 and 12MHz so maybe its a 386 sorry about the pictures and not taking a full pic but it didnt occur to me at the time. What would this laptop be worth as it is the screen seems to turn on and a beep is heard but nothing else. It has an external Roland MPU-IPC plugged in to it though I dont know what this is.

20190206_163705_zpsqsxvyies.jpg

20190206_163646_zpskq7cuokp.jpg

20190206_163653_zpstnay3b3u.jpg

20190206_164212_zpsxjewp6lj.jpg

Reply 2 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Take a look here:
https://50years.acs.org.au/content/dam/acs/50 … g/PC-198907.pdf

July 1989 Chendai LapV 1MB RAM 5.25" FDD 8/10/12MHz Full size EGA Backlit SBE Screen Real Time Clock/Calendar Microsoft DOS 3.3 […]
Show full quote

July 1989
Chendai LapV
1MB RAM
5.25" FDD
8/10/12MHz
Full size EGA Backlit SBE Screen
Real Time Clock/Calendar
Microsoft DOS 3.3 & G.W. Basic
And More
Lap V, 30MB AUD 4990

So it looks like a pretty nice 286 laptop - I particularly like the keyboard. If it gives you a single beep, it seems to be booting. Try fiddling with those sliders next to the screen. Failing that, look into an external monitor.

That MPU-IPC though - that box combined with the card it's plugged into is a MIDI interface, or rather THE MIDI interface. If you look into vintage MIDI stuff you'll read about "MPU-401 compatible" to a greater or lesser degree. This is the thing they are compatible with. People are making new ISA cards today to emulate the functionality of this beauty. You use it to hook up MIDI devices to your PC- gamers use things like Roland MT-32 and SC-55 modules, musicians use any number of devices.

Even in its current bashed-up state, it's almost certainly worth significantly more than the laptop it's in. Whatever you do, don't separate the MPU-IPC from the card it's connected to.

Reply 3 of 6, by GabrielKnight123

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks dionb do you know if any old laptops were made with the isa card for the MPU module built into the motherboard and not a removable card? I have a chance to buy this laptop but I dont think I will if the card is not removable and if the laptop cant be fixed.

Reply 4 of 6, by sf78

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GabrielKnight123 wrote:

What would this laptop be worth as it is the screen seems to turn on and a beep is heard but nothing else.

I would first try and play with the contrast slider to see if that'll help. In these old laptops if you push the slider all the way to max/min you won't see jack s**t on the screen even though the computer itself is running fine.

Reply 5 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A 1989 laptop with a built-in MPU of any description? No way.

The MPU-IPC was a combination of dedicated ISA card with dedicated breakout box, if it's hooked up, the card will be in there. Unless someone just hooked up the breakout box of an MPU-IPC to a DB25 serial port...

It was pretty common in the day for laptops to have ISA slots, particularly laptops this large. Check if there's something that looks like an ISA backplate that the MPU-IPC breakout box is connecting to. If so, it's probably OK. If it's just connecting to a DB25 in the middle of other I/O ports, it's not.

Reply 6 of 6, by James T Quirk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi This is a old Post, but I have one of those Laptops here, it is a 286 .. I also have have all the manuals & Disks if needed ...

Attachments