VOGONS

First post, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does anyone perhaps recognise this old Western Digital MFM hard drive?
There are no model numbers on this drive.
I want to low level format the drive but, I need to know the model number so that I can try and obtain the settings for the drive if I want to dynamically configure it.

Got this today with an old Olivetti M19 but, it's giving me an 1701 error.
Either the drive isn't configured properly or, it's had its day.
The light does come on when it boots up but, then nothing further.

Attachments

• WDD.jpg
    Filename
    WDD.jpg
    File size
    495.53 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Western Digital MFM drive
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 6, by torindkflt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I unfortunately don't know the model off the top of my head, but that drive looks virtually identical to the drive mounted to the hard card bracket in my AT&T 6300. IIRC mine had some trouble with stiction and also needed low-level formatting to get working, so it wouldn't surprise me if yours has one or both of the same problems.

Reply 2 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thank you for the feedback.
The drive powers on, I can hear the heads unparking, and then the hard drive just shuts down by itself.
Even tried connecting another PSU but, the same symptoms.

Reply 3 of 6, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It looks like the shaft on the stepper motor (black box toward the right front corner) is visible. See if it moves when you power it on. This is what moves the heads back and forth. I had an MFM drive that needed the worm gear on the stepper motor to be lubricated and worked back and forth, then it worked okay. Also, if absolutely necessary, you can probably open one of these and see what's going on inside. I opened the 3.5" miniscribe 20mb drive in my 5150 when it had an issue and it still works fine. I think because everything is so large they're less susceptible to being rendered useless by a speck of dust, compared to newer drives. That said, do it somewhere with as little dust in the air as possible, and be very careful. Hopefully you won't even need to open it though.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 4 of 6, by looking4awayout

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It looks like a Western Digital WD262. It was the first WD branded hard drive which was based on an existing model made by Tandon, the TM262. Both were cheap, unreliable hard drives, so it's kind of expected that it might have issues. An 8 bit IDE version was made later, making it one of the few IDE stepping motor hard drives on the market, while the competition switched to voice coil technology for good.

My Retro Daily Driver: Pentium !!!-S 1.7GHz | 3GB PC166 ECC SDRAM | Geforce 6800 Ultra 256MB | 128GB Lite-On SSD + 500GB WD Blue SSD | ESS Allegro PCI | Windows XP Professional SP3

Reply 5 of 6, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you zoom there's the model number in faded text on the RHS. Someone has highlighted the '2' but the rest is hard to read.

Is this too much voodoo?