VOGONS

Best Nforce 2 Board

Topic actions

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My A7N8X gave up the blue smoke, can't find any damage but it won't post anymore, and there was smoke. Tried the cpu and ram inside an HP tower they still work, but the PSU and board are dead, PSU smells burned, I'm guessing it failed and took my board, Antec True Power Blue 480W

So whats a great Nforce2 Board to replace mine. Parts still working on old system.

Athlon XP 3200+
2x1GB DDR400
FireGL X1 128 (going into my P4 2.8 for now so i still have a good single core XP system), but its temporary I have a 6800GT in the mail
Soundblaster Audigy Platnium
Buffalo Wireless G card

Oddly both opticals and the HDD died as well, I'm guessing power surge, though the case fans where unaffected 🤣.

Reply 1 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you are using a discrete sound card, you don't need the MCP-T for audio. So any nF2-400 board should be fine. I personally ran the GA-7N400L in the day for a few years (until upgrade to Athlon64) and it was fast and trouble-free, unlike my housemate's A7N8X-Deluxe, which had compatibility issues with just about everything you could have issues with.

Reply 2 of 5, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Best is subjective, but the best nForce2 boards are:
- DFI Infinity NF2 Ultra (routinely can hit 250MHz FSB for benchmarking runs)
- Abit NF7-S v2.0 (best for stable long term overclocking)
- DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra (hard to find at a good price, some had poor quality control compared to the above mentioned boards)
- Chaintech 7NJS Zenith Ultra (similar overclocking and stability to the Abit above)

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 3 of 5, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Abit NF7-S v2.0 (best for stable long term overclocking)

ABIT AN7 > ABIT NF7-S. Although not significantly.

DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra

DFI LanParty NFII B Ultra is much better. Both original nForce 2 and i875P LanParty boards were ok, but unrefined. DFI Infinity was based on that board design (B).

If the cool factor considered: Gigabyte 7NNXP is very interesting boards, although it's rare and not the best overclocker as DFI or Abit.

Last edited by The Serpent Rider on 2019-02-18, 15:41. Edited 1 time in total.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 5, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

gives plenty to consider, back in 2002/2003 the only boards I looked at said ECS because I was a high school student, I ran an ECS KM400 board, nforce2 was something I never really go to play with until an adult, and highend boards nope, my A7N8X was something I found

Reply 5 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote:

gives plenty to consider, back in 2002/2003 the only boards I looked at said ECS because I was a high school student, I ran an ECS KM400 board, nforce2 was something I never really go to play with until an adult, and highend boards nope, my A7N8X was something I found

KM400? Owch.

Poor student here too. Before my GA-7NF400L (which I picked up as 'defective' for EUR 10, but a CMOS clear got it working again...) I used an ECS K7S5A. Cheapest SoA board and fastest at the time too - but the nForce2 was noticeably faster.