VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It’s a data I/O card by laguna systems USA 1991.
It has a rear port of some kind? I don’t know if this is SCSI or what ?
The I/O port has (3) rows of 20 for a total of 60-pin connection.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 7, by mdog69

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A google tells me that the two 28 pin devices are 2048x9 FIFO RAM.
You appear to have one half of a data acquisition device - the interface is 99% certain to be a parallel proprietary interface.
It certainly is not SCSI, nor is it a multiport serial interface.

A further google for "Laguna Conversion systems" found some links to adverts in InfoWorld in 1990.
"Read and write any 9 track tape or 3480 tape cartridge with your PC (DOS/UNIX)."

Reply 4 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

this is a junk card nowdays, why bother? even if you had the missing part and media , what would be the use ? backing up on some 30 y.o. tapes that could combust any moment? 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 7, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote:

Does this card require drivers and what software will work with this tape backup interface?

I assume that the only way you could possibly still get drivers is to use some ancient copy of Unix (or a *BSD) that has the driver integrated. However, seeing it's a 8 bit ISA card, the corresponding tape streamer is likely very hard to find (by the mid-1990s most tape streamers were SCSI...). And corresponding media is probably even more difficult to find...especially taking into account the tendency of magnetic tape to deteriorate over time.

Reply 7 of 7, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A Pertec Interface card for this

Pertec Cable.jpg
Filename
Pertec Cable.jpg
File size
109.84 KiB
Views