VOGONS

First post, by Clyde

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

So I'm currently rebuilding my omnivore rig, which currently is a somewhat recentish (quadcore phenom-ii, 8gb ddr2, Ati HD6890 graphics) system that I use for a bit of retro-gaming. Since I'm occassionally archiving old floppydisks on the machine, having dual floppy drives -one 5.25" and one 3.5"- is nice. Using an usb floppy is not really an option. Currently I'm using a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 mainboard, which still does support dual floppies, but that board is a bit of an oddball with no AHCI support. Also, having something more recent would be awesome.

Unfortunately floppy support was phased out pretty much two decades ago, and the few boards out there that still offer an FDD port at all are limited to a single drive.
Does anyone know of any more recentish (released 2015-2018) mainboards that still come with dual floppy support?

Regards,
-Clyde

Reply 1 of 7, by Koltoroc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

floppies on anything recent aren't a thing anymore, like at all. The last ones I'm aware of are early 2010s, with some AM3 (not AM3+) boards being pretty much the last boards that still had them. Which of those support 2 floppies and anything besides 3.5" HD I have no idea.

Reply 2 of 7, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

short answer, no. long answer, only if you have more money than sense.

Get a nice P3 era board, put 98 or xp on it and use it as a in-between machine. Thats what I do.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 3 of 7, by Merovign

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Newer than a phenom? Hmm.

I do happen to know that Dell Precision workstations had floppy support much longer than most desktop systems (as did their desktop servers but those don't support easy sound and graphics solutions).

The Dell T5500, for example, supports LGA1366 CPUs up to the Xeon X5690 which is kinda sorta like an i7-3370 or FX-8350 in performance, it's a 6-core.

Disclaimer: I haven't tested this with a 5.25" drive but I have a Precision T3400 and a Dell 531 and an old Dell desktop server that all have floppy connectors and some bios support, and cables and drives. If I get a chance I'll test (I have a couple of 5.25 drives that need testing). I know they work with 3.5" drives and I'm kind of optimistically assuming they didn't strip the 5.25" support from the chipset or BIOS just to save a few bytes.

I have the 531 on the bench now and just verified it has a floppy connector even though it was never offered with a floppy drive.

As a side note a lot of 5.25" drives use blade connectors, it may be worth noting that the (expensive) Teac dual 3.5/5.25 drive just uses a 34-pin dual row connector like a typical 3.5" drive. You'll need molex power as well, I just realized the 531 lacks that.

If the newer mobo doesn't support the 5.25 then keep your old machine next to your new one and just remote into it. 😀 Maybe a mini ITX case as a sort of giant 5.25" "external drive"?

Last edited by Merovign on 2019-03-05, 08:45. Edited 1 time in total.

*Too* *many* *things*!

Reply 4 of 7, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The LGA1366 era was a decade ago though.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 5 of 7, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

and still only has 1 floppy support.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6 of 7, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've seen somebody doing an Arduino project to use a 3.5" drive with Amiga floppy disks. I wonder if one couldn't program the Arduino to act as a USB floppy disk controller (with better functionalities than regular USB drives and 5"1/4 FDD support)

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 7 of 7, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tbh, I'd stick with the Phenom II and try to find one that does do decent AHCI. I also have one on an oddball Asrock nForce3 chipset (yep, Phenom II quadcore with AGP), which I wouldn't recommend if you want to run Windows (support ended before Vista) but is fine for Linux. I believe nF4 would still do dual floppy fine. If you don't want USB, I'd avoid anything much newer, trying to shoehorn intentionally obsoleted technology into a new system easily just ends up being more trouble than it's worth.