VOGONS

First post, by jazvecina

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello,
ive bought a 486pc. i have ibm model m keyboard with ps2 to DIN converter and it works fine.
but the mouse doesnt. i have IBM 96f9275. i bought it brand new in box last week. i really love how it looks and feels in the hand.
the problem was it is a ps2 and i dont have ps2 ports on the pc. so i used converter. i was hoping it would work out of the box but it doesnt.

im a noob for dos configs and trubleshooting. i didnt even install this computer. it was ready to go from the seller.
there is cutemouse driver installed. so what should i do? will this mouse work? i would be crushed if it didnt.

thanks for help

Reply 1 of 7, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I asked about this very problem recently.
While PS/2 to AT (Mini-DIN to DIN) for keyboards is a straight passthrough, and should always work, PS/2 to serial is no such thing. These adapters were proprietary for the individual model of mouse, and the mouse had to support serial mode in order for it to work. So either the mouse doesn't support it, or it's not the correct adapter.

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 2 of 7, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some mice were PS/2 only and others were PS/2 and serial supported, such as the Kensington Mouse-in-a-box or certain Microsoft IntelliEye PS/2 mouse that also supports the serial port. I have a 3-button mouse that supports both PS/2 and Serial by a flip of the switch (the PS/2 to Serial adapter wasn't working), a 3-button mouse that connects to the serial port, a 2-button mouse that supports serial and PS/2, and 2 IntelliEye scrolling mice that supports both PS/2 and Serial. Sometimes, the PS/2 to Serial adapter stops working after so many years. I had an IBM PS/2 mouse from the late 1980's early 1990's that stopped working on me and the PS/2 to Serial adapter wasn't working.

Check the system's voltage on the power supply to make sure it gets -12VDC, -5VDC, +5VDC, and +12VDC.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 3 of 7, by jazvecina

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LunarG wrote:

I asked about this very problem recently.
While PS/2 to AT (Mini-DIN to DIN) for keyboards is a straight passthrough, and should always work, PS/2 to serial is no such thing. These adapters were proprietary for the individual model of mouse, and the mouse had to support serial mode in order for it to work. So either the mouse doesn't support it, or it's not the correct adapter.

well how about this mouse: IBM 96f9275 im struggling to find any info and its outside of my computer realm.
but i thought because its ibm and its from the era as this computer it would work.

so i dont know what should i do now. i tested the mouse on my main pc that has ps2 and it works.
for example how to find out if the 486 is detecting that a mouse is plugged or something.
i need more help with this.

Reply 4 of 7, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I can find out, that mouse is manufactured by Logitech (no big surprise there). It probably just doesn't support being used with an adapter. Best bet is to get a classic MS Intellimouse.

Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 5 of 7, by jazvecina

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
LunarG wrote:

As far as I can find out, that mouse is manufactured by Logitech (no big surprise there). It probably just doesn't support being used with an adapter. Best bet is to get a classic MS Intellimouse.

so is it impossible for this mouse to work with serial port?
not even with device like this?
https://trolsoft.ru/en/sch/mouse-ps2-to-serial

Im looking for any option that would enable me to use this mouse. i love how it looks and feels.

Reply 6 of 7, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It should work with one of those.