VOGONS

First post, by wulp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

To replace the Conner CP-3024 on my old Compaq SLT, I bought an SSD on eBay. (A "new" Conner is to expensive..)
It was a part from WD, indicated as :
64 Megabyte DOM SSD Replace Vintage 3.5" IDE Drives with 40 PIN IDE SSD Card
On the description was mentioned "to replace Conner CP-3024 etc."
Did anyone had succes with it? I tried but ... nothing

Attachments

• SSD2.jpg
    Filename
    SSD2.jpg
    File size
    637.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • SSD1.jpg
    Filename
    SSD1.jpg
    File size
    1.21 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 13, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is the common CompactFlash-to-IDE adapter with CF card. I use it all the time. This adapter has female connector so it goes directly to IDE connector - you don't need the cable.

Otherwise you need to set the correct C/H/S info in the BIOS. Boot it with some DOS boot floppy and prepare it like any other hard drive. FDISK to make partition and then format it as system drive. Install DOS and you're set.

Last edited by kixs on 2019-03-08, 15:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 13, by wulp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That Compaq is a very old machine; one of the early portables . The bios only recognizes 4 types of harddisks (10,7 - 21,4 - 71,3 - 30,3 MB).
When you insert the SSD before you power up, nothing goes on (no light, no startup-sound by the diskettedrive) although you see the powerlight on the SSD-card.
When you insert the SSD while the machine is running, all goes black.

Reply 5 of 13, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some photos might help. I'm not sure what you are doing. You should never plug in HDD (the same with CF2IDE adapter) when tha machine is running.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 6 of 13, by wulp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I first instaled the ssd, but as i said: the laptop did not do anything. I took the ssd out and started the machine again. Everything worked. Then, while the machine was running i plugged the ssd in, trying to find out of everything went down again. And it did. So i took it out again and the laptop started as usual.
Which fotos would you see?
Thanks for trying to help!

Reply 8 of 13, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here is an old thread about the same machine. It should be possible to use the 64 MiB CF card without resorting to XT IDE BIOS upgrade:

How do you select replacement capacitors? (For Compaq Portable 2)

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 9 of 13, by wulp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hereby a picture of the CF2IDE. I also upload the description of Western Digital CF
And then I'll lwatch the old tread. 😀
Thanks!

Attachments

• SSD2.jpg
    Filename
    SSD2.jpg
    File size
    637.04 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSCN1682 (Custom).JPG
    Filename
    DSCN1682 (Custom).JPG
    File size
    180.47 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 10 of 13, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

dead computer after plugging cf2ide usually means it was plugged backwards, now I would advise _against_ checking this hypothesis by experimentation
rather look at the pcb and identify where pin 1 is, or even better check pinouts with multimeter (ground pins easy to find)

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction