VOGONS

Fixing a MSI 5128

Topic actions

First post, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Today is the day of fixing a socket 7 board (MSI 5128) in which I've lost hope a long time ago ...

This board have had at least two threats in its life.
The first one is that when I first got it on its tray, I noticed they forgot to install a brass ... and screwed a screw there instead, so there was a big bend in the board.

The second is that once I removed it from its tray and installed it in a case properly, I plugged improperly the AT PSU plugs (common beginner error). Once I plugged it back properly, it started ... but quickly it started acting up. Note that I don't have any memory of using it off its tray before improperly plugging the AT plugs, so I have no idea which one of these is really the cause of all these issues (the board was fine before all of this)

From what I can remember, it started by crashing during windows' start up. Then it crashed on the second POST screen ... then it crashed on the RAM counting screen. Then it didn't start anymore except when I was lucky ... and I saw weird CPU speeds when it did ...

IIRC, after this I tried hot air on it but I don't think it fixed anything ... So I threw it in the "dead parts" box, either to gather some components to fix other things, or try again to fix it later ...

Well, later is now.

So today I tried it, and it seems to POST each time now (with the right CPU speed), but there is one major problem : the keyboard isn't working anymore ! When I start it up, first the three LEDs of the keyboard stay on for a second, then they turn off. So far, so good. But at the end of the RAM count, they all blink rapidly, and then all turn off ... and of course the keyboard doesn't work at all.

And since the CMOS memory is empty, I can't go any further because it wants me to press F1 to continue, or DEL to enter the BIOS setup ...

So far I've tried to heat the chips to see if that would help. It didn't ... I also checked the traces coming from the KBC to the DIN connector, and they seem allright.
The board have been stored in a cold environment, so the chips were under 10°C when I tried the board for the first time, but it didn't work either, so I guess the chips don't react at all to temperature.

Physically, the board looks really good (no dust, almost no marks in the PCB, no corrosion ...)

Is the KBC dead ? Any other reason that could lead to a keyboard to not work properly ?

The KBC chip is a 40 pin "AMIKEY-2"

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 1 of 8, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The next step is test continuity with multimeter on all the traces from the keyboard connector and keyboard chip, if you not sure how google or YouTube has alot of easy info

Reply 2 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's what I did ^^

Data/clock pins are indeed connected to two of the KBC's pins. Not sure if they should go anywhere else on that chip : I can't find any datasheet/pinout for it 😒

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 8, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the lights flashing on the keyboard probably means the connector is ok, time to focus on the kybd chip. I would try to find info on the kybd chip and what the output on the pins should be then test the kybd chip pins with multimeter.... or swap the kybd chip, but this is all easy to say when its 20 year old parts and hard to find datasheet or replacement

Reply 5 of 8, by treeman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

unless they are exactly the same make and model then I really don't know,. have to wait for. somebody with more experience on that one to reply

Reply 6 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I tried to replace it with an older one from AMI.

The board doesn't POST without the KBC. With any of the two KBC (original and older one), the behaviour is the same, so actually the problem lies somewhere else !? Any idea what could be causing this ?

Reply 7 of 8, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deksor wrote:

When I start it up, first the three LEDs of the keyboard stay on for a second, then they turn off. So far, so good. But at the end of the RAM count, they all blink rapidly, and then all turn off ... and of course the keyboard doesn't work at all.

BIOS is able to at least initialize keyboard. KBC is working and communicating with keyboard, otherwise you wouldnt see any LED activity (leds are directly controlled by the bios). But leds should not stay on for full second, and rapid blinking can be either power supply related (5V to keyboard) or bios signaling errors (blink and beep codes).

Deksor wrote:

I tried hot air on it but I don't think it fixed anything
So far I've tried to heat the chips to see if that would help

Best advice I can give you is try to put less trust in internet "Rehot CPU Bro"/"bake the gpu" memes. Heat gun is not a magic star trek healing beam, heating stuff randomly on multilayer pcb is bound to break something (thermal expansion = popcorning = internal cracks). First step should always be diagnosis. Universal PC diagnostic code card is $5 and will tell you where the problem starts. Not that it would help here, because:

Deksor wrote:

The first one is that when I first got it on its tray, I noticed they forgot to install a brass ... and screwed a screw there instead, so there was a big bend in the board.

current behavior fits cracked tracks hypothesis, this board should probably go back to the garbage bin at this point.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 8 of 8, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I didn't heat random parts on the board, I reflowed the pins of the chips which seems to have improved the current state of the board because it now POSTS with the right speed and memory size every time. I also fixed a non POSTing PCChips board this way, so it works if you have cracked solder joints for example (which my pcchips definitely had).

In this case, everything seems to work except keyboard. Maybe I burned some glue logic chip by mistake ? It now behaves the same whatever I do, so maybe there's some hope for it.

Also this board has a DALLAS-like RTC chip, so if I manage to turn on USB keyboard support by writing the correct value in there, this board might be usable once again x)