VOGONS

First post, by Cabernut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,
I recently acquired a lot of 486 DX4 100 SBCs. There are 17 of them in total, all DX4s with 16M ram, along with an extra 4 DX4 chips and 4 16M 72 pin ram sticks.
I've been looking to build a nice 486 system and this lot is a bit of overkill parts-wise but my inner hoarder was jumping in excitement... I have been able to test a few as they have a connector for 5V power. Most seem to work and some do not( bad hdd controller / random resets).
Anyways, so far I gather that I need an ISA backplane in order to add a sound card or ethernet card, which I have.
Since I haven't had a 486 system since 1996, and have never used SBCs before, what are the issues I might come across and what would be a good price for a backplane via ebay?

Also, any ideas what to do with the remaining 16 SBCs aside from extra parts?

Reply 1 of 18, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

first off, pics. ^.^

2nd, hi Welcome to vogons

3rd. Yes, by default they are designed to plug into a dumb backplane. First issue is finding one that fits into a case proper as most had industrial rackmount chassis in mind. These have been going up in price I've noticed.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 4 of 18, by Cabernut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here are the photos...

20190317_162235.jpg
Filename
20190317_162235.jpg
File size
169.33 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20190317_162229.jpg
Filename
20190317_162229.jpg
File size
214.92 KiB
Views
File license
20190317_162220.jpg
Filename
20190317_162220.jpg
File size
238.02 KiB
Views
File license

Thanks for the welcome!

To be clear, these are not for sale. I hoarded them for a reason(which isn't quite clear when hoarding)

More to the point, can several of these run simultaneously on the same backplane? Or would they conflict over the same resources?

Could two of them share the same sound card? I would think not.

Reply 5 of 18, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you think correctly, one cpu board per bus.

There ARE some backplanes that have several separate disconnected busses but the ones ive seen are pci based.

Reply 6 of 18, by BinaryDemon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do the SBCs have audio support onboard or would they rely on the backplane for that?

I’ve dreamed of building an instant 4player doom setup. Something where I just power it on and all computers connect to the same local doom game. Of course modern hardware is easily powerful enough to run it all in 1 cpu but I’m not sure how to handle the multiple input devices and audio out. I still think a rack solution with 4 sbc’s would rock.

Check out DOSBox Distro:

https://sites.google.com/site/dosboxdistro/ [*]

a lightweight Linux distro (tinycore) which boots off a usb flash drive and goes straight to DOSBox.

Make your dos retrogaming experience portable!

Reply 7 of 18, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

some do, most don't. Back plane required. The video is usually integrated, but usually very basic. That looks like a 5430, capable and compatible, but not known for blazing game performance.

Reply 8 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

here is the manual for these SBCs in case you haven't found it yet: http://www.voxtechnologies.com/SBCs/pdf/icp/ssc-5x86hvga.pdf
this is the equivalent of having 14 identical motherboards in some sense... ideally they need their dedicated busboard with any ISA cards you want to use with them.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 18, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can use a regular riser board from an LPX system or connect two ISA ports together to make a hacky backplane. I have a similar SBC, the Advantech 6145, with onboard graphics as well. I got a Yamaha YMF719 working on mine by connecting both the SBC and the soundcard into each ISA slot on a generic riser board with 3 isa slots.
I'm thinking of putting together a proper board that connects just two ISA ports and has maybe an ATX power connector to make a very miniature ISA backplane. Haven't got around to that yet though.

I don't think any of the ISA SBCs have audio, larger / custom format ones sometimes do, but that's usually optional and they're more in the range of Via C3 / AMD Geode systems.

Reply 11 of 18, by Cabernut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:

here is the manual for these SBCs in case you haven't found it yet: http://www.voxtechnologies.com/SBCs/pdf/icp/ssc-5x86hvga.pdf
this is the equivalent of having 14 identical motherboards in some sense... ideally they need their dedicated busboard with any ISA cards you want to use with them.

Thanks for that. After review, on page 11 it appears JP14 could bump the CPU voltage up to 3.45. Would that allow me to also overclock it to 120mhz?

Reply 12 of 18, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

possibly, but the parts will be designed to run in spec. Overclocking industrial and enterprise hardware is intentionally disabled and hamstrung. These boards will support what they were designed to, nothing more.

Reply 13 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

possibly, but the parts will be designed to run in spec. Overclocking industrial and enterprise hardware is intentionally disabled and hamstrung. These boards will support what they were designed to, nothing more.

I bet they have a setting for a 40Mhz FSB which will allow 120Mhz on the DX4-100.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 14 of 18, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I bet they dont. It might be an undocumented jumper setting, but likely wont work stable if it exists.

I know people fantasize about overclocking, but I cant say it is really worth the effort.

Reply 15 of 18, by Error 0x7CF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:

There ARE some backplanes that have several separate disconnected busses but the ones ive seen are pci based.

I've got a backplane with 4 separate PCI and ISA busses. I've been tinkering on it for some time since I'm aiming to have a PMMX, PII, PIII, and PIV in a single chassis.

Old precedes antique.

Reply 16 of 18, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anyone seen a beowulf cluster made with several 486 SBC cards? That would be kinda neat.

EDIT: the manual linked shows a 40 MHz setting.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 17 of 18, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

I bet they dont. It might be an undocumented jumper setting, but likely wont work stable if it exists.

I know people fantasize about overclocking, but I cant say it is really worth the effort.

Page 10 of the manual. It officially supports the DX4-120 and the AMD and Cyrix 5x86 CPUs as well.

As for overclocking... I have pretty much overclocked every single CPU I have had starting with a 486 DX2-66 that I ran at 80Mhz.

I caught the bug when I was looking at a friend's 486SX-25 computer and noticed that there was a jumper on the board to switch between 25 and 33Mhz FSB. Tried it and it worked and I was hooked.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 18 of 18, by Cabernut

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been successful in overclocking to 120, but only with a fan on the heatsink. Hard to notice a difference in Quake though.
Anyway, do you have any suggestions/links for decent isa backplanes? Ebay has loads of them for more than I'd like to pay...