Bought these (retro) hardware today

Discussion about old PC hardware.

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby Intel486dx33 » 2019-4-14 @ 22:56

@Artex

Are those caps original ?
Those are beast.
I have a PAS16 with small blue caps it is a Gateway 2000 part number.
User avatar
Intel486dx33
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1308
Joined: 2018-5-17 @ 01:17
Location: U.S.A.

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby HanJammer » 2019-4-14 @ 23:17

OK, havn't bought it today but over last 2-3 months, but the last one arrived last week.
I love ST157As. Best hard drives ever. :]
Three of them work as good as new. Last one has some issues though (I have to low-level format it from time to time - disobeying the label) otherwise it will have trouble reading files. Still no bad sectors on any of these drives.

WP_20190413_19_41_31_Rich.jpg
User avatar
HanJammer
Member
 
Posts: 152
Joined: 2018-8-21 @ 15:02
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby Artex » 2019-4-15 @ 00:33

Intel486dx33 wrote:@Artex

Are those caps original ?
Those are beast.
I have a PAS16 with small blue caps it is a Gateway 2000 part number.

Yep!
Click [here] to see my collection of retro bliss!
Click [here] to see my "I just gotta have it"' list!
Image
User avatar
Artex
l33t
 
Posts: 2034
Joined: 2012-3-24 @ 21:34
Location: Milwaukee, WI

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby Cyrix200+ » 2019-4-15 @ 09:06

Not so much the last few months, this was it. Sorry for the (sometimes) crappy pictures.

I bought a box of e-Waste ;) There was more but no pictures, they were CDROM drives and floppy drives, nice old ones in different shades of beige and grey. I like having some to choose from to get an authentic look.

Loooooong ISA card. Anybody have any idea what this might be? It's labeled MCS 8603/2. EDIT: Googling finds this: "The TDA3561A is a decoder for the PAL colour television standard."
Image
Image
Image
Image

Plexwriter with caddy. I hope it works
Image

Sony computer interface board for a VHS? player. I have no use for it.
Image

Some old video cards, nothing exciting
Image

VLB controllers
Image

From other seller:

Maxi Games Xentor 32 TNT2 Ultra
Image

Saving the best for last. Bottom one is in a sorry state. But they were not expensive. Not tested yet, had a busy weekend.

Image
User avatar
Cyrix200+
Oldbie
 
Posts: 860
Joined: 2015-5-11 @ 15:52
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby Murugan » 2019-4-15 @ 12:41

No pictures yet but yesterday I bought:

1) NES unboxed that needs a cleaning
2) classic Xbox unboxed that also needs a cleaning
3) Tandy 1000 TL: turns on but need to hook up a monitor to see if it actually works and then....give it a good scrub :)
4) IBM 5162 'as is' so need to check it. Got some free floppies and xt guide to operations along with it.

And now I need to stop due to buying a house and needing money for that :p
My retro collection: too much...
User avatar
Murugan
Member
 
Posts: 327
Joined: 2013-4-04 @ 19:25
Location: Belgium

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby respect2759 » 2019-4-15 @ 16:19

Never seen something like this, is that a server board? I bought it with a couple of other boards but i dont know whats that. Only photo, I see its Compaq. It looks like there goes SD rams and a notebook ram (or something which look like a notebook ram) Your opinion ?
Attachments
IMG_20190404_150100.jpg
respect2759
Newbie
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 2019-3-26 @ 18:07
Location: Slovakia

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby bjwil1991 » 2019-4-15 @ 16:33

That looks like a server board to me. And the slot next to the riser board is possibly a Level 2 cache or something thereof? Do you see a P/N number on that boar or a serial number? The SD-RAM slots are the server graded ones and require the server graded SD-RAM. I had a Dell PowerEdge 6300 server of similar vintage or board style and that thing weighed about 50 pounds. Took it apart years ago, yet, I kept the SCSI hard drives and the Pentium II Xeon 400 processors.

Speaking of servers, I saw an HP Visualize J5600 server (runs on PA-RISC PA-8600 @ 550MHz) at a thrift store for $99.99 (almost took it, but, they only accept cash, and that thing wouldn't fit in my 4-door sedan). Also, did you know that the processors for servers (PA-RISC) and the Nintendo 64 (NEC VR4300 (MIPS R4300i)) were 64-bit CPUs in the 1990's before Intel and AMD adapted the 64-bit architecture? The server itself had memory support up to a whopping 8GB (their type of RAM) and RAM that size used to cost a lot in the 1990's.
Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from C64 to FX-6300.
User avatar
bjwil1991
l33t
 
Posts: 2237
Joined: 2013-8-14 @ 03:10
Location: SE, MI USA

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby PcBytes » 2019-4-15 @ 16:42

That slot next to the riser board is an RAM expansion for the onboard ATI Rage 3D PRO chip.
Main: Xeon X5450, 8GB RAM DDR2, DFI Lanparty DK P45-T2RS
Wolfram: C2D E6750, 2GB DDR2, ASUS P5K-SE/EPU
R.A.I.D: Pentium 4 2.8GHz, 2GB DDR400, ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
Totem: Pentium S 166MHz, 128MB RAM, Totem TM-586TX4
Voodoo: AMD K6-2 500MHz, 128MB RAM, LuckyStar 5MVP3
User avatar
PcBytes
Oldbie
 
Posts: 825
Joined: 2012-12-31 @ 08:32
Location: Bacau,Romania

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby bjwil1991 » 2019-4-15 @ 16:43

That's interesting.
Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from C64 to FX-6300.
User avatar
bjwil1991
l33t
 
Posts: 2237
Joined: 2013-8-14 @ 03:10
Location: SE, MI USA

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby respect2759 » 2019-4-15 @ 17:06

bjwil1991 wrote:That looks like a server board to me. And the slot next to the riser board is possibly a Level 2 cache or something thereof? Do you see a P/N number on that boar or a serial number? The SD-RAM slots are the server graded ones and require the server graded SD-RAM. I had a Dell PowerEdge 6300 server of similar vintage or board style and that thing weighed about 50 pounds. Took it apart years ago, yet, I kept the SCSI hard drives and the Pentium II Xeon 400 processors.

Speaking of servers, I saw an HP Visualize J5600 server (runs on PA-RISC PA-8600 @ 550MHz) at a thrift store for $99.99 (almost took it, but, they only accept cash, and that thing wouldn't fit in my 4-door sedan). Also, did you know that the processors for servers (PA-RISC) and the Nintendo 64 (NEC VR4300 (MIPS R4300i)) were 64-bit CPUs in the 1990's before Intel and AMD adapted the 64-bit architecture? The server itself had memory support up to a whopping 8GB (their type of RAM) and RAM that size used to cost a lot in the 1990's.



I have no power supply to this, no ram, so I can't test it :depressed:
respect2759
Newbie
 
Posts: 14
Joined: 2019-3-26 @ 18:07
Location: Slovakia

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby Tiido » 2019-4-15 @ 17:14

That board looks very similar to ones in couple Compaq Deskpros I have here.
User avatar
Tiido
Oldbie
 
Posts: 674
Joined: 2018-1-14 @ 04:40
Location: Estonia

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby Thallanor » 2019-4-15 @ 17:49

HanJammer wrote:I love ST157As. Best hard drives ever. :]

What is sad is that I saw your picture and immediately thought, "hey, ST-157s!" :) I might be a nerd...
Thallanor
Member
 
Posts: 150
Joined: 2018-2-26 @ 23:45

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby JonathonWyble » 2019-4-15 @ 19:40

I just received a graphics card I got for a vintage desktop I'm currently working on. It's an Intel RH1N07 graphics card, and I got on eBay last week. This is a replacement graphics card for this PC, because I screwed up its previous one.
Image
Basically a VGA graphics card. It also has a little cooling fan, because graphics cards do need to work hard for their money :-D
Image
JonathonWyble
Newbie
 
Posts: 62
Joined: 2019-1-13 @ 02:10
Location: Buffalo, New York

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby wiretap » 2019-4-15 @ 22:02

Well don't screw up the second one.. It is on carpet. :lol:
User avatar
wiretap
Member
 
Posts: 318
Joined: 2018-5-17 @ 08:26
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby Thermalwrong » 2019-4-15 @ 23:14

respect2759 wrote:Never seen something like this, is that a server board? I bought it with a couple of other boards but i dont know whats that. Only photo, I see its Compaq. It looks like there goes SD rams and a notebook ram (or something which look like a notebook ram) Your opinion ?


That's a Compaq Deskpro EN, from the pentium II era - the fan on there is odd, maybe it's a klamath PII?
The SODIMM slot is for VRAM expansion memory, fairly pointless.

See here for some pictures of what it looks like disassembled (not my site)
The diagonal power supply connector is what gives it away, that case & psu are very specific to that model
Thermalwrong
Member
 
Posts: 192
Joined: 2018-3-18 @ 19:24
Location: England

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby JonathonWyble » 2019-4-15 @ 23:33

wiretap wrote:Well don't screw up the second one.. It is on carpet. :lol:

Pfft! I doubt having a graphics card on a carpet won't hurt it. I actually screwed the last one up because back when I took this desktop apart to clean it, I was being a little dumb and tried to take the card's main chip off with a knife (I thought I could convert this vintage computer into a modern gaming PC, but that was an epic fail).
Image
JonathonWyble
Newbie
 
Posts: 62
Joined: 2019-1-13 @ 02:10
Location: Buffalo, New York

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby retardware » 2019-4-15 @ 23:52

Btw, cats love carpets that aren't antistatically treated.

And I have shot enough stuff to have become paranoid about static electricity :)
retardware
Member
 
Posts: 413
Joined: 2019-1-30 @ 02:00

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby JonathonWyble » 2019-4-16 @ 02:34

retardware wrote:Btw, cats love carpets that aren't antistatically treated.

Who said I had cats? :lol: No, I do not have any pets.

retardware wrote:And I have shot enough stuff to have become paranoid about static electricity :)

Yeah, I guess I couldn't agree more. Static electricity can harm hardware. But luckily it's spring time, so I don't have to worry about that (static electricity occurs mostly in winter).
Image
JonathonWyble
Newbie
 
Posts: 62
Joined: 2019-1-13 @ 02:10
Location: Buffalo, New York

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby yawetaG » 2019-4-16 @ 05:50

JonathonWyble wrote:
retardware wrote:Btw, cats love carpets that aren't antistatically treated.

Who said I had cats? :lol: No, I do not have any pets.

retardware wrote:And I have shot enough stuff to have become paranoid about static electricity :)

Yeah, I guess I couldn't agree more. Static electricity can harm hardware. But luckily it's spring time, so I don't have to worry about that (static electricity occurs mostly in winter).


No, it occurs anytime the right atmospheric conditions are combined with rubbing the fabric that may become loaded with static electricity.

Which, depending on the country, may occur throughout the whole year, and is more likely to occur inside than outside due to heating drying the inside air. :happy:
yawetaG
Oldbie
 
Posts: 1313
Joined: 2016-6-14 @ 14:36
Location: Netherlands

Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today

Postby wiretap » 2019-4-16 @ 09:09

JonathonWyble wrote:
wiretap wrote:Well don't screw up the second one.. It is on carpet. :lol:

Pfft! I doubt having a graphics card on a carpet won't hurt it. I actually screwed the last one up because back when I took this desktop apart to clean it, I was being a little dumb and tried to take the card's main chip off with a knife (I thought I could convert this vintage computer into a modern gaming PC, but that was an epic fail).

Yes, it would be very likely to hurt it, common with a latent failure. Here's some science for you. https://www.esda.org/about-esd/esd-fund ... on-to-esd/
The whole six part handbook: https://www.esda.org/about-esd/esd-fundamentals/
Another whitepaper from Texas Instruments: http://www.ti.com/lit/an/ssya010a/ssya010a.pdf
Another whitepaper from Microchip Technology: http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/A ... 01785a.pdf
Here's a nice illustration using the Human Body Model for what type damage occurs: http://www.desco.com/ppt/Photos_of_ESD_ ... Desco.ppsx

I always see people say "oh well I've been doing this for 20 years and I've never had any problems".. but they're always posting about weird issues with their hardware, like BSOD's, random parts dying later on down the road, odd post failures, etc. Then they get offended when you mention ESD controls.. a very basic proper handling of circuit boards to prevent damage that doesn't always show up right away. The damage is microscopic. I send out dozens of boards per year for electron microscope / x-ray / destructive failure analysis and see it all the time from improper ESD controls which damage or degrade gates/junctions. I've seen everything from no failures with imminent failure possible, to random reboots happening, to shifted/scrambled bits in CMOS devices to flat out failures where the static electricity blows apart logic gates. There's a reason why companies spend millions of dollars a year on ESD controls when manufacturing and packaging circuit boards.

Anyhow, you can easily prevent it at home (or limit it like 95%+) by spending a few bucks on a properly grounded mat, wrist strap, and HVAC control.
User avatar
wiretap
Member
 
Posts: 318
Joined: 2018-5-17 @ 08:26
Location: Michigan, USA

PreviousNext

Return to General Old Hardware

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Deksor, FrostyTheSnowman, FuzzyLogic, HanJammer, Kesuke and 5 guests