VOGONS

First post, by odd144

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there

I was walking my dog and walked past a property whom had put out rubbish(ones trash is anothers treasure) for a verge collection(In Australia you can call the council to pick up items you no longer want and they will dispose of it for you, twice a financial year) and I saw the PC as I was close to home, I picked it up.

The PC boots and is running well, I did have to put a hard drive in(had a spare IDE one). I need the drivers for the motherboard cant seem to find much information for the M216, anyone here able to help? Looking to make a dual boot Win98 and XP.

Specs via case:
VkOluS8.jpg

Reply 1 of 4, by weldum

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

you may be able to find them with some software like Aida64, Speecy or HWInfo32.
then, you can download the drivers from their web pages.
for example: the gpu is a SIS 651, so you can go to the SiS webpage and download the driver.

PD: also, some OEM's sometimes used standard motherboards with some small changes, so check the motherboard.

DT: R7-5800X3D/R5-3600/R3-1200/P-G5400/FX-6100/i3-3225/P-8400/D-900/K6-2_550
LT: C-N2840/A64-TK57/N2600/N455/N270/C-ULV353/PM-1.7/P4-2.6/P133
TC: Esther-1000/Esther-400/Vortex86-366
Others: Drean C64c/Czerweny Spectrum 48k/Talent MSX DPC200/M512K/MP475

Reply 2 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unless you know someone with a list of system specs for your market (PB's model names were completely different between countries and sometimes even between shops within countries) you'll not get much info from the model name.

Just open it up and identify the components. Most were pretty standard at this time in PB's life. There's a lot of info here:
http://uktsupport.co.uk/pb/pbidx.htm - but it sort of ends around the time of the change from eMove (1st gen beige-with green "iMedia") to Odyssey (2nd gen beige-metallic blue "iMedia") releases. Possibly you have the last motherboard listed, the Gigabyte GA-8SIML 'Columbia 2', but it could also be a newer one - PB shifted from Gigabyte and MSI to ECS and Foxconn around then.

Reply 3 of 4, by odd144

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weldum wrote:
you may be able to find them with some software like Aida64, Speecy or HWInfo32. then, you can download the drivers from their w […]
Show full quote

you may be able to find them with some software like Aida64, Speecy or HWInfo32.
then, you can download the drivers from their web pages.
for example: the gpu is a SIS 651, so you can go to the SiS webpage and download the driver.

PD: also, some OEM's sometimes used standard motherboards with some small changes, so check the motherboard.

Thanks bud, that worked a treat, it is a "Gigabyte GA-8SIML Motherboard" and they still have all the drivers, install them all. Just having an issue with the the AC'97 audio driver it is giving me a "Msgsrv32" error but noneless everything else is working in Win98SE.

Reply 4 of 4, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you can figure out the exact model of your audiochip you should be able to scrounge up a generic driver for it from the manufacturer.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1