VOGONS

First post, by eric1992

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can not find these on eBay. I saw one on Bonanza but it's 15$ and could take up to 45 days just to get to my house. Is there anywhere else where I could find these, or could I just get one without the bracket and just somehow mount the thing onto one of the expansion slots?

Reply 1 of 5, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're right, with bracket there seems to be not much choice atm. I ordered one last year [1] which also took forever to arrive (over a month). I normally don't care to much about delivery times though, I'm more concerned with excessive postage/handling costs 😀

The one I have I'm currently using in a 386DX built with a 512MB SD card. Works really well, BIOS detects it etc.

Maybe you can go for one without the bracket and find another way to mount it. I know that StarTech sells a bunch of different mounting brackets. I assume that the SD/IDE adaptors without bracket do conform to some standard layout, i.e. the positions of the screw holes etc...

https://www.startech.com/HDD/Brackets/

[1]
s-l1600.png

Reply 3 of 5, by eric1992

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pan069 wrote:
You're right, with bracket there seems to be not much choice atm. I ordered one last year [1] which also took forever to arrive […]
Show full quote

You're right, with bracket there seems to be not much choice atm. I ordered one last year [1] which also took forever to arrive (over a month). I normally don't care to much about delivery times though, I'm more concerned with excessive postage/handling costs 😀

The one I have I'm currently using in a 386DX built with a 512MB SD card. Works really well, BIOS detects it etc.

Maybe you can go for one without the bracket and find another way to mount it. I know that StarTech sells a bunch of different mounting brackets. I assume that the SD/IDE adaptors without bracket do conform to some standard layout, i.e. the positions of the screw holes etc...

https://www.startech.com/HDD/Brackets/

[1]
s-l1600.png

The way that bracket is probably might not fit where an ISA slot is. I know LGR had trouble with that with his PIII build but I heard you can actually make your own bracket, just need a drill and something to slit an area where the SD card goes in. That or I could just get a CF ide adapter with the bracket and maybe take it off, and then put it on the SD card despite its' size.

Reply 4 of 5, by Windows9566

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a different SD card adapter with the LEDs in a different location, i just took a bracket from a CF card adapter and used it on there. even though the slot is larger on the bracket, it still worked fine.

R5 5600X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3060 TI, Win11
P3 600, 256 MB RAM, nVidia Riva TNT2 M64, SB Vibra 16S, Win98
PMMX 200, 128 MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, Yamaha YMF719, Win95
486DX2 66, 32 MB RAM, Trident TGUI9440, ESS ES688F, DOS

Reply 5 of 5, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eric1992 wrote:

The way that bracket is probably might not fit where an ISA slot is. I know LGR had trouble with that with his PIII build but I heard you can actually make your own bracket, just need a drill and something to slit an area where the SD card goes in. That or I could just get a CF ide adapter with the bracket and maybe take it off, and then put it on the SD card despite its' size.

Yeah, they definitely should have swapped the placement of leds and card around. I couldn't fit this on in the far end slot (or the first depending on where you're counting from) due to the power connector on the card and the location of my memory. But one slow over it worked just fine.