VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What would you set this IBM CPU as ? A Cyrix CPU or Intel CPU in motherboard settings ?

Would you consider this a Cyrix 486dx2-66 ?
Or
An Intel 486dx2-66 ?

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-07-24, 02:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From the web:

The SLC/DLC processors are not to be confused with IBM’s later 486 DX/DX2/DX4 processors, some of which may have been also marketed under the Blue Lightning brand and were commonly available in ceramic PGA packages. Those CPUs were built under a license from Cyrix and were more or less identical to Cx486 processors available under the Cyrix, Texas Instruments, and ST brands.

It's a Cyrix, it even says so at the bottom...

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 2 of 11, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I set it up with the same settings as an Intel 486dx2-66mhz. And it appears to be working fine ?
I understand it was manufactured by Cyrix but is it of the same die or clone as a Intel 486dx2-66 ?

Reply 4 of 11, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This motherboard I am using is strange. The manual reads that there is an option to switch between CPU brands.
( AMD/Intel/Cyrix) but when I look at the motherboard those jumper are missing.
So I am not sure what brand of CPU this motherboard was designed for.

Motherboard manual
https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/M/M … B860-REV-A.html

Reply 5 of 11, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Intel486dx33 wrote:
This motherboard I am using is strange. The manual reads that there is an option to switch between CPU brands. ( AMD/Intel/Cyrix […]
Show full quote

This motherboard I am using is strange. The manual reads that there is an option to switch between CPU brands.
( AMD/Intel/Cyrix) but when I look at the motherboard those jumper are missing.
So I am not sure what brand of CPU this motherboard was designed for.

Motherboard manual
https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/M/M … B860-REV-A.html

CxDX2 does usually have a different setting from Cx SX so I think I'd leave it the way it is and would thoroughly test it. Should I run into any anomaly I'd check if it persists with an Intel or AMD DX2 (a spare CPU is required at this point).

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 6 of 11, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a green heatsynct Cyrix DX2 in my AST I had to change a dozen jumpers to move to an AMD 5x86 overdrive

Then I plopped the Cyrix into a jumperless Intel DX33 and it fired right up

Never could understand the 486 generations, one system would have few jumpers and just worked, others had banks of the things and needed to be set spot on to function

Reply 7 of 11, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Although I cannot confirm, I am somewhat confident that all Cyrix 486 CPUs (true 486s, not SLC/DLC) can support writeback cache, so if you have it jumpered as an intel, it is likely running in write-through mode and not operating at its full potential.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 11, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is setup as a 486dx2-66 but what make CPU I can not confirm because the jumpers to select the CPU brand are missing and the manual lists nothing about this only that Cyrix/Intel/AMD are supported.

Reply 9 of 11, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Okay, I have this working and running at 66mhz. “speedsys” program reports that the CPU is a Cyrix 486DX2@66mhz.

Below is the Topbench program results.

Attachments

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2019-07-24, 01:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

uh......no. That doesn't identify the CPU, that just crossmatches against a user-submitted result. It's like concluding from TOPBENCH that a Pentium III is "yep, i have athlon xp cpu". That's not even CHKCPU/SPEEDSYS.

Last edited by leileilol on 2019-07-24, 00:16. Edited 1 time in total.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 11 of 11, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More benchmarks.
I don’t know why Speedsys reports the wrong CPU info. And wrong MHz. Speed. But the benchmark score appears to be correct.

Attachments